By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ChrisH

Here is a list of all the postings ChrisH has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boiler regulations update
12/09/2009 21:00:44
Tony - you're right about the H&SE, it is all about PYA and making sure the paperwork is right.

I remember going to a seminar on the CDM Regs back in the early 1990's and the lecturer made the same point.  His words were along the lines of "I've been in H&S for 25 years and I don't know what you guys feel but I think with all this it's all about getting the paperwork done and if we save a few accidents in the process then that's a bonus".  

When oh when will we be allowed to take responsibility for our own actions - or do we have to walk round in bubblewrap for ever in case we fall over.  We would have never won WW2 had H&SE been around then, and how would all our inventions and progress been made in the past?  Did they wonder and worry about traceability then?  No, either it worked or it didn't and if it didn't then other things were tried until it did.  Traceability, how does that work?  It's a wonder we make any progress today with H&SE around now - and this is from someone who did H&S as a living at one time.  Never again!  H&S is one of the biggest blights on modern Britain.  They blame it on the EU but anyone who has been to the EU countries will say the same - they don't bother with it over there like they do in Britain, they expect people to take responsibility for their own actions.

So endth todays rant................ !!

ChrisH 
Thread: General club questions
11/09/2009 21:51:38
Thanks for the offer Meyrick - I'm OK for the present but I'll keep it in mind.
10/09/2009 21:51:55
Hi Meyrick,
Thanks for the info - I thought with the "Westland' name there that a tie-up with the firm and airfield was on the cards!  I know the site OK - we live in a little village a few miles towards Crewkerne from Yeovil just off the A30.

At the moment I am busy with building work renovating my workshop, an old Ham Stone building with random sized lumps of stone built like a dry stone wall only with mud and mortar, then there will be the electrics to do, and the work benches, and finally setting up my limited amount of workshop tools, the lathe being the major job, before I am in a position to go to meetings etc.  I'm winning, but it's a way to go yet!  I suspect like you initially I will be more heavily involved in building bits and pieces so it may be a while before I am able to be in a 'join a club' mode, but it is useful to know what is out there and where.

Regards,
Chris 

Edited By ChrisH on 10/09/2009 21:54:09

07/09/2009 18:38:49
Also 'well in that case' - are there any in the Yeovil/Crewkerne area?

Regards,
Chris 
Thread: Subscription number going AWOL?
29/08/2009 14:31:17
Hi,
I am having a problem with the website 'forgetting' I am a subscriber. 

I have bookmarked the website and remain always 'logged on'.  Whenever I first access the site and try to access 'back issues' I get the message that says no access for non subscribers and an invite to update my profile.

When I access 'my details', there is my MEW subscriber number sitting there where I left it.  However, I always have to click the 'save' button again and get the 'updated' acknowledgement and only then can I access back issues.

Have I done something wrong somewhere or has anyone else got this problem?

What can I do to resolve it, or is it a website fault? 

Love the site otherwise, just so much interesting information on it.

Regards, ChrisH 
Thread: Metal filler?
20/08/2009 23:03:20
I have used JB Weld too and found it very good but it does need support while it sets ( quite a few hours I found) otherwise it runs and sags away.  When set it can be machined and filed and gives a good finish

However, when I was at sea we used an epoxy steel made by Devcon which was excellent and standard issue on the ships!  They also do an aluminium version - Devcon Aluminium Putty - which I have not used myself but of which I have heard good reports; it is designed to fill holes in aluminium castings etc.  If it is as good as the epoxy steel it will be very good indeed.  Look at http://www.itw-devcon.co.uk for more info on all their products.  Was this the product you were thinking of Meyrick?

Needless to say I have no interest in either the Devcon or JB Weld companies! 

Good luck,
ChrisH 
Thread: Hss or Carbide Tooling?
19/08/2009 21:40:11
Thanks everybody for the replies so far on the grinder/grinding jigs topic.  As BarryQ said - this is what forums are about and how they can help by spreading other peoples hard won experience around, so all the comments have been well appreciated whilst giving me much to think about.

I too will get the H.Hall books, and have looked at the diamond toolholder with considerable interest and added it to the "would like to have" list, along with aforesaid Hemingway kits and Sandvik tipped parting tool.  If only one had a bottomless pot of money..........! Still, slowly, slowly catchee monkey as they say!  Will get there one day, but at least I am convinced of the need to go down that road now - thanks fella's.

ChrisH 
17/08/2009 22:51:02
This is another interesting thread to someone used to using just mainly HSS tool bits for turning, all hand ground.

I have no doubt at all that both a Quorn/Kennet or  Hemingway tool grinder/jig and a DHT Versatile Dividing Head would be considered very desirable or even essential items of kit in the workshop.  But setting up a workshop from scratch is an expensive business.  I was lucky in obtaining a lathe a few years ago, together with a modest drill press, a grinder and numerous power and hand tools, but now adding to it is a major item of cost for each item, be it a vertical mill or band saw or whatever is next deemed to be essential.  Plus the cost justification necessary in persuading SWHBO of it's essentialness has to be considered!

So, playing devils advocate, given that for certain jobs a Dividing Head of some description is essential, at what stage does forking out 3-400 quid for a Quorn/Kennet or  Hemingway tool grinder/jig become one?  Yes, repeatability and precision of grinding tool bits is an advantage and a Good Thing, as is not wasting more HSS than is necessary, but you can buy a lot of HSS tool steel for 400 quid.

Any thoughts on this anyone please?  I would like to be persuaded!

ChrisH 
Thread: Granite Surface plates
25/06/2009 09:55:58
Have also bought a granite plate from Tesco's - 300 x 400 x 12mm for £9.79.  Tesco's called it a surface protector but for me it will make a very good surface plate to be going on with until I can afford a 'proper' one - if I think it necessary then, maybe this will be all I need!

Regards, ChrisH 
Thread: Material Suppliers
12/06/2009 21:53:08
I've tried to find ringwood precision on ebay shops - but with conspicuous lack of success.  I can find their own website, but not ebay shop.  What do they go under on ebay?
Regards,
Chris
Thread: Coverage of comments
06/06/2009 20:08:21
Hi - 

I guess I put a comment about the adverts covering some of the comment text in the wrong part of the forums, but someone has read it, acted upon it and fixed the problem to which I would like to say -Thank You!!

Regards, ChrisH 
Thread: Granite Surface plates
05/06/2009 13:27:04
Geoff - you need something like an angle grinder with a stone cutting blade I'd say, and probably someone dribbling water into the cut to lubricate and cool.  Be careful not to overdo the water though - won't do the angle grinder any good or you either.  Use a RCD trip in the electric supply too.

Regards, ChrisH 
03/06/2009 21:06:19
The managers of Argos and Tesco must be wondering what's going on, what with all the granite chopping boards/trivets flying out the doors................

ChrisH 
Thread: Reaming and Scraping
02/06/2009 18:06:04
Thanks David - I look forward to reading these in due course

Regards, Chris 
Thread: C A D for Mac
29/05/2009 22:43:38
I also have converted to Mac - and it is money very well spent, would definitely NOT go back to Microsoft - but also struggled to find a suitable CAD package for the Mac.  I used an old version of AutoCad LT previously and found it sufficient for my needs.

To get round the problem I obtained an old microsoft laptop and put my copy of AutoCad LT on that.  I use my Mac for everything but the AutoCad, and keep the old laptop just for CAD.  Old Microsoft laptops can be found quite reasonable and, not being used on the internet, doesn't need antivirus, just like a Mac on the internet!

Just a suggested other way to get round the problem.

Regards, 
ChrisH 
Thread: Reaming and Scraping
29/05/2009 08:48:09
I have been an engineer for more years than I care to remember but have never had call to ream out anything or scrape anything other than a bearing shell on large engines.

Now retired I am taking up model engineering and have been reading MEW for a few months.  My impression and appreciation of MEW grows each month!  But I have noticed everyone seems to ream out a hole instead of just drilling or boring it which is new to me, and my reaming tuition was too long ago to be remembered.  Ditto re scraping techniques on flat surfaces like lathe beds.

I, and I suspect many others, would appreciate an article or two on a beginners guide to reaming and on scarping in a future issue of MEW.  Would there be a chance of that perhaps?

ChrisH 

Edited By ChrisH on 29/05/2009 08:49:32

Thread: MMA on thin metals
27/05/2009 10:32:45
Following on from the welding in the workshop article in MEW, I have a MMA set but now need to weld some thin material which one would usually use I suppose MIG.  However, I would rather not splash out on a MIG set at the moment if I can afford it.

There is an item known as a 'Body Welding Attachment' for a MMA set which is advertised as being able to weld using MMA down to 22g(?), using a pulsating action with 1.6mm rods.

Anyone have any experience using such an attachment?  Is it worth buying?

Out of interest, my MMA set, which I have had for many years, used to suffer from overheating when using large rods for extended periods, giving rises to enforced cooling off periods of about an hour.  I fitted a fan out of an old computer to give a forced air flow over the set and since then, no more overheating! 

Chris 

Edited By ChrisH on 27/05/2009 10:33:41

Thread: Gaskets
20/05/2009 21:59:36
When I was in the merchant navy we used to make gaskets from chart paper - a thick and stiff paper.  You had to be careful not to nick the Mate's latest charts otherwise the engine room's name would be mud!

Chart paper not easy to get ashore, but you get the idea.

Chris 
Thread: Material Suppliers
19/05/2009 23:18:21
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replys - I will follow them up.

A question for keithmart really - the Metal Supermarket, is that a place where you can browse around to find what you need, or has it just a counter where you are supposed to know what you require, like a builders merchants trade counter where you are invariably left feeling inadequate trying to describe what you want without knowing the trade names!

Regards, Chris 

PS.  Am impressed how this website is moving on in only the few days I have been logging on................... 
18/05/2009 13:33:58
Hi, does anyone know of a good metal stockholder in the Yeovil/Dorchester/Taunton area that will supplier private customers - as opposed to trade - with modest amounts of stuff at a reasonable rate please?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate