By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gavlar

Here is a list of all the postings Gavlar has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Engineering tuition recommendations
18/03/2022 04:23:14

I read a recommendation (I can't remember where) for this chap;

www.thatlazymachinist.com/free-training.html

He has uploaded 100+ video tutorials, aimed at the beginner.

I cannot personnaly recommend him, at least not yet. I've only watched the first few videos on shop safety but it might be a useful resource.

Thread: Manual for Warco GH750 or Chester Cub 630
13/03/2022 15:07:54

Hi Nick,

sorry for the slow response, I've not been on the forum for a few days. Message me your email and I'll forward the manual.

Thread: I want chips
24/02/2022 19:13:56

I could carry on using the carbide for rough cuts, it's just that the TT seemed to move more material with less effort and a better finish than anything else I've tried.

I'll experiment with grooves in the tool over the next couple of days.

Thanks all.

24/02/2022 14:47:25

I've had my lathe several years now, I am untrained, reletively inexperienced and have no real idea about sharpening HSS. As such, I've been using indexable tooling with varying results.

A recent thread here prompted me to order the Eccentric Engineering 'Diamond' tangential tool, which appealed to me because of the apparent ease of sharpening.

Having set the tool up, and turning a test piece of free cutting steel at various speeds, feeds and depths of cut I'm getting excellent results. I'm pleasently surprised by how much metal I can remove in one pass and the excellent quality of the finish.

Problem is, I'm getting ribbons instead of chips regardless of what I change, Clearly not ideal as I'm having to frequently stop and clear the birdsnest that's formed.

I do use cutting fluid but flow cooling, whilst possible, is not really practicle.

The cutting tool is ground flat as shown in EE's video so is it a matter of changing the profile of the tool or do I need to do something else?

Thanks, Gavin.

Thread: Anyone with a Chester 626 mill can help me with a little problem?
18/02/2022 18:09:35

Hi Steven, the problem was solved 15 months ago!!

I ended up removing the whole quill assembly and taking it to a local welder. (I don't weld) He filled the end of the reducer with weld to facilitate knocking it out with a rod down the quill. He gave it a tap whilst it was still hot and it popped out. No damage and no ill effects.

Thread: Here's an interesting one
18/02/2022 11:15:57

Facebook marketplace is awash with scams and scammers. I've given up reporting them, there are just too many. It's about time companies like Facebook were held to account, it's their platform, they know it goes on and yet they seem to do nothing about it.

Thread: Boxford X10
04/02/2022 14:39:41

Boxfords prices for spares are usually out of date, Parts are frequently no longer stocked even if the site suggests they are available, they are plus vat and plus P&P.

That being said, they have helped me out in the past, even once sending me small low value items FOC!

03/02/2022 15:59:26

Yes, they are D1-3.

Thread: Harrison 250
13/01/2022 16:12:11

If you search ebay for 'pallet truck wheels' it will come up with wheels very similar with solid tyres and reletively high load ratiings at a reasonable price.

Example; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162999377535?hash=item25f3851e7f:g:EPgAAOSwgoNeYh24

I bought a pair just for this very purpose, to make a dolly for moving a heavy lathe single handed.

Thread: 3 phase supply (again)
12/01/2022 22:20:20

If it's a digital version of the older style rotary converters, then you won't need one for each machine so long as the total power consumption of the machines running at any one time are within the limits of the converter.

The advantages would appear to be no messing about or rewiring of your three phase machinery, only needing to buy one for your entire workshop.

The dissadavantage as I see it would be price and not being able to customise control for individual machines as you could if each had it's own VFD.

Thread: Boxford x10 lathes
08/01/2022 21:45:12

There is no definitive answer to that question.

In my limited experience, price depends on age, condition, ancilliary equipment, your ability (or not) to collect and luck.

The one I mentioned in your previous thread sold today on ebay for £1900, which was a steal. I have seen them on ebay for even less though one dealer on there is currently asking over £6K for one. I think if you are prepared to wait for the right one, prepared to travel and have the wherewithall to collect yourself, you could get change from £2K. If you can't collect or arrange collection yourself, you will tend to be at the mercy of the dealers and the price will likely be higher.

Thread: Highway Code
08/01/2022 20:17:16
Posted by Peter Greene on 07/01/2022 01:43:04:

Just curious:

Given that cyclists demand equality (and more) with motor-vehicle drivers, are there any plans in the UK to have cyclists do their bit and pay their share (road-tax, licence, insurance, driving test)?

Local roads are paid for with local taxes, your community charge. Cyclists pay community charge but do next to no damage to the roads. So surely, I'm 'doing my bit' by cycling and I should recieve a tax rebate, funded by higher car taxes??

Thread: Boxford x10 lathes
08/01/2022 20:04:35

The measurements for the 280

Actual footprint is 1150 x 460

Overall length is 1200 and overall depth from the to rear of the splashback is 800

Height to the top of the headstock is 1200

There are a couple of different base styles across the range which might effect the measurements and. I think (but don't quote me) the 280 is the same length as the 10-20 and 11-20 with the 10-30 and 11-30 being 10 inches longer.

Thread: WM250V Delrin Change gears
07/01/2022 21:24:21

'You-engraving' is still supplying delrin gears. I got a set from him only a couple of weeks ago and he is still advertising on ebay.

Have you tried contacting him through ebay rather than email?

Thread: Slightly large lathe
01/01/2022 23:28:52

According to the X10 manual, they weigh between 365 and 385 kg, dependent on bed length. I'm not sure of the weight of the ME10, I seem to remember that on the proper base they are approaching 300 kg, but don't quote me. The X10 is not a lot more difficult to strip for transport than the earlier models.

Edited By Gavlar on 01/01/2022 23:31:54

01/01/2022 19:34:34

I currently have an Boxford ME10 and a Boxford 280. in my workshop.

The X10 range outclasses the 3565 range by a country mile.

The X10 range is not much larger physically but has a bigger spindle bore, a bigger motor, greater swing, has a gear head and apart from the training lathes, an excellent gearbox. They have 6 or 9 (and possibly 12?) speeds depending on model. Mine was missing the changegears but a full delrin set can be had from ebay for about £60. They all come with 100/127 compound gear as standard. D1-3 spindle nose is (IMHO) far better than threaded. Whilst some sellers seem to hold out for silly money, they can be had for less than the cost of a decent AUD. There is currently one on ebay, well equiped with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, what appears to be a full set of changes gears and QCTP that has just been relisted as it didn't sell for the £2000 asking price.

One thing to beware of, the X10 range was never as popular as the 3565 range so whilst they are pretty bomb proof, if you do manage to break something you will struggle to buy replacement parts. If you need steadies, buy one that already has them, you will be very lucky to find any for sale and the few I have seen sellers ask silly money.

Thread: VFD - which is best please ?
31/12/2021 08:08:23

Just my tuppence worth,

I've had two expensive Mitsubishi VFDs that have failed. One secondhand one and I don't know it's background or history, and one new one that failed after about five years, though given the environment it was in, maybe that wasn't too bad.

I've also had several of the cheap, no name ones from Ebay and Amazon. They are occasionaly on offer on Amazon and I've had 2.2kw units for as little as £35 iirc, though they have recently gone up a lot. I've fitted these to my own lathe as well as other peoples and am yet to have one fail. An external control box can be made for the cost of a couple of switches, a relay and a pot, if you know what you are doing and/or take the time to experiment as the instructions are not that great. These cheap units don't have all the functions of the Mitsubishis, but they are being used to drive lathe motors, and for the most part, speed and direction is all one needs to control.

The proprietry suppliers may supply a better quality product and they would certainly be the route to go if you are not competent and confident enough to go the diy route but at six times the price, I'll stick with the cheap units.

Thread: Speed Camera Flashes?
27/12/2021 15:30:00

The speed is measured with radar and doppler shift. The flash is for the camera. The machine photographs the car and number plate for identification, generally twice to ensure a good shot. Best hope is the camera had no film in it!

Not quite. Doppler is old tech and is rarely used as it is too easy to jam. More common is to use as series of laser or radio pulses (depending on type of detector) and time how long each pulse takes to return. Speed is calculated using the difference in return time between pulses. The dual camera flash is two fold, one is to record the vehicle, the second is to have two photos, taken a set time apart that can be used to verify the speed recorded by the detector as speeding offences have to be corroborated. Most cameras are now digital and don't need film.

Gavin (Twelve years as a police officer on traffic, retired!)

Thread: Restoring a Boxford AUD ll
26/12/2021 18:51:39
Posted by Eddie Giles on 26/12/2021 15:02:49:

I have just bought a aud training lathe. Not sure I’ve done the right thing. There is back lash in the tool post x and y axis . Where can I get spare parts for this? Your opinion of this lath please.

TUD - (Training) No lead screw, no powerfeed in either direction

CUD - Has a lead screw, power feed in one direction, no gearbox, screwcutting by way of changegears.

BUD - As CUD but power feed in both directions.

AUD - As BUD but with a gearbox.

Boxford themselves are not very good for spares, they have a very limited and ever diminishing supply. Their prices on their spares site are high, out of date, plus vat and plus post. Seller 'RELTUB34' on ebay makes cross slide and compound slide nuts in both imperial and metric. He will make to order if what you want is not currently listed.

I have in the past put a cut in a cross slide nut and squeezed it together to eliminate backlast as a stop gap measure.

Edited By Gavlar on 26/12/2021 18:52:10

Thread: tail chasing
07/12/2021 20:00:52

Do you have an account with STM microelectronics?

If not, then it is a scam. If yes and you used a link in the original email, then it's a scam as Emgee has explained.

If you have passed your details to a fake site, particularly if you use only one password for multiple sites, like many do, then change your other passwords, now!

If you do have an account with STM microelectronics and they have your credit card details, might be worth contacting your card company and canceling the card.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate