By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for old mart

Here is a list of all the postings old mart has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taper pins
29/05/2019 21:26:58

Imperial taper pins have a 1:48 taper, and I believe that metric ones have a 1:50 taper. Small TP reamers have a pentagonal section.

Thread: Chernobyl TV Series
29/05/2019 21:15:55

I was in Buffalo NY at the time and one of the guys I was with had relatives in the Ukraine.

I have seen the first four episodes on SKY and it is one of one of the best drama-documentaries I have ever seen, actually more horrific than any horror film.

Thread: Restoration and modifications to a Tom Senior light vertical mill
28/05/2019 20:56:16

I realise that this is an old thread, but I couldn't resist a few comments.

Regarding the X axis nut being in the wrong position, I would have first tried turning the leadscrew the other way round, so the handle was on the left. I removed one of these nuts the other day and came close to breaking the casting as yours was. I removed the grubscrew and started drifting the nut out, to no avail. Looking closer and cleaning the grease off of the outer end, a round mark appeared. It turned out to be an axial threaded hole centred on the bronze/cast iron joint line with a 2BA x 1/2" long grubscrew in it.

I have to make a 3/4" X 5 acme nut, and have ordered a tap from Tracey Tools, they also sell trapezoidal taps.

Thread: Childhood diseases
27/05/2019 22:19:19

Remember, not so many years ago, the MMR controversy? A number of children had suffered very bad side affects, and mothers were refusing to allow their children to have it. It turned out that the risks from the vaccine were insignificant compared to the dangers to the children who did not have it. But the damage was done.

Thread: Turning long slender arbors
27/05/2019 21:59:45

Have you thought of getting a straight shank ER16 collet (1-10mm) that has collets in 1/2mm increments to use in a normal 3 or 4 jaw lathe chuck. The absence of a draw bar would be an advantage, as you could slide the work in and out.

Thread: What's this tool?
27/05/2019 21:49:36

The bit with the holes in it looks like wood, is there a removable pivot pin?

Thread: Are these spot drills?
27/05/2019 21:44:10

Most of my spotting drills have a 90 degree tip, except a 5mm solid carbide one with a 120 degree angle. That shallow angle actually makes it harder to line up because it is difficult to see the tip

Thread: What are these change gears for?
27/05/2019 21:36:35

The lathes website sells gears for Boxford 

https://store.lathes.co.uk/parts/boxford-and-south-bend-9-inch-changewheels-tumble-reverse-gears

Edited By old mart on 27/05/2019 21:37:35

Thread: What's this tool?
27/05/2019 19:20:08

It looks like is is a temporary holding down lever. The post goes down through a hole in the bench and an assistant holds the workpiece down while it is cut or planed.

Thread: Are these spot drills?
27/05/2019 19:12:21

No they are not spotting drills, but if they are carbide (compare the weights with similar size drills in hss), they could be used as such, as they will be stiffer than steel. A spotting drill will normally have only about 1 diameter of flute length, these have a very slow rate of helix, I can't remember the reason for this.

Thread: Smart and brown lathe
27/05/2019 14:40:13

We have a model A mk1.5 at The Helicopter Museum, Weston Super Mare. Given to the museum when Westlands left the town.

It has a very worn bed, but still turns pretty true. We have carried out many modifications and repairs over the last few years.

Thread: What are these change gears for?
27/05/2019 14:25:47

I have just looked up the change gear specs for the S&B Sabel, and they are slightly different from your figures.

18DP 20PA 3/8" wide and 9/16" bore.

The double gear would likely have a larger bore.

Edited By old mart on 27/05/2019 14:28:06

Thread: Tom Senior spindle bearing lubrication
26/05/2019 23:19:39

In the TS light vertical mill, I am unsure how the taper rollers in the spindle are lubricated, oil or grease?

Thread: Hello everybody
26/05/2019 19:25:46

Thanks for the welcome guys, my first question is, can you edit a post after it has been added to the forum?

I noticed my mistake as soon as I had sent it and would have liked to correct the spelling.

26/05/2019 16:43:02

Hi, I have been getting lots of valuable information from this forum for years, and thought that was about time that I joined.

I am already a member of the American "Home Shop Machinist" forum with the same avatar.

I am a volunteer at the Helicopter Museum at Weston Super Mare and use the museum's Drill mill and Smart & Brown model A. We have been left an Atlas 12-22 lathe and a Tom Senior light vertical mill in a benefactors will. The Atlas will be eventually sold, but I think the TS will be restored and kept and the existing mill sold.

I have gleaned much useful information regarding Senior mills from this forum and hope to get more, and maybe help others in the process.

Old Mart

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate