By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ambiguous words
22/04/2022 11:34:19

Terrific.

Is it large? Terror inducing? Or is it really good?

Thread: New series by Tim Hunkin
21/04/2022 20:09:24

I remember being enthralled by his stuff when I was younger, so a couple of years ago I sent him a message thanking him for making a series which still sticks with me now. He was gracious enough to reply, and as you can imagine was polite, erudite and self-effacing. Lovely chap.

Thread: Myford ml7. Longbed for under £200
16/04/2022 21:47:45

I'm sure its useful to someone; the ways might be in good order, its hard to tell.

Thread: cut-off
16/04/2022 21:46:20

Donkey saws seem to have gone out of fashion; I think I'm going to try to find a reasonably priced one of those. Less worry than a bandsaw.

Thread: 11cc Wall
16/04/2022 21:39:56

This is superb.

Thread: cutting pyrex tube to length
16/04/2022 17:59:32

I've had a suprising amount of success by just sharpening an HSS cutting tool to a knife edge point and turning the glass in the lathe. I wrap the tube in tape to protect it from the jaws, but a better way would be some sort of soft jaws as it can be a trial to get it concentric this way. I cut the end off of a pyrex test tube this way, but usually I cut normal glass.

You just gently introduce the cutting tool at a 90 degree angle and the glass cuts a vee which you can then tap gently to break once its deep enough. Playing a flame over the cut edge works for normal glass I think with pyrex you would have to use an abrasive grit paper to get the end sweet.

Thread: ml7 tri leva cross slide screw ?
15/04/2022 16:02:05

Quite a bit of backlash isn't unusual, but its probably not the nut.

As others have done, on my ML7 I bored out the hole that the shaft goes into and fitted a 1/4 x 3/8 x 1/8 sealed bearing, with an NTA411 bearing either side (a needle roller bearing with washers, two of, part number NTA411). The removed a vast quantity of the backlash.

Thread: Precise technical terms.
13/04/2022 06:18:18
Posted by Georgineer on 12/04/2022 12:37:11:

Well, that's two minutes I'll never get back.

Another

internet

video maker

who

thinks

I've

got

all

day

to wait

for

a

cascade

of

obscenities.

George

You had enough spare minutes to kvetch a response...

Thread: silly question about oil drip feeder ...
11/04/2022 20:45:18

I was told that with the myford oilers you should be just getting bored waiting for the next drip and then there it goes!

Mine tremendously over oil. I usually am on the lathe long enough in one go for the oilers to almost empty.

As for the thread cutting, there are charts which will help you out on google that you can print off for the workshop wall. Don't forget the material you are cutting will have a bearing on things too.

Thread: Fitting a 5 micron DRO to Myford ML7
11/04/2022 20:42:21

What are you making that demands that accuracy?!

Thread: Making gears in the lathe
11/04/2022 16:11:23

I tend to only cut about three different thread pitches. So you don't waste any effort, do you need these gears?

Thread: Set screws replacing rivets
11/04/2022 16:06:24

Small size rivetting is very effective and quite easy even for someone with ten thumbs like me. It's your locomotive, do as you wish. The only people you need to please when building are you and the boiler inspector (And he won't give a damn about the hornblocks!).

I would probably think rivetting is easier rather than faffing about countersinking, loctiting etc.

Thread: rivet snaps
10/04/2022 21:49:59

Most of my rivet snaps have a side ground down for clearance with previous tasks. I don't bother to do the full circumference.

Thread: Central Heating Control
10/04/2022 15:00:32

My Grandfather was the foreman of the Boiler House at Boscombe Down which supplied superheated steam to heat exchangers fitted to all the other buildings of the site. It was an interesting system, but I suspect it wasn't very efficient. Oddities included the Weighbridge hangar with an air curtain system coming up from the floor to try to retain heat when the doors were open, and the heat exchanger connected to a merlin engine radiator/heat exhanger to warm fuel up for tropical testing. Don't fancy being near that when its all toasty.

Back on topic I'm finding my house heating far more efficient now I'm heating specific areas rather than all of it. It's a tall and narrow house on three stories so all the heat goes to the top. I've suggested using a fan and ducting to bring the hot air back to the bottom but my wife really doesn't like the idea of my experimental duct-work...

Thread: Boiler cleaning
08/04/2022 18:06:16

I've used white vinegar in the past with good results.

Thread: Modern boiler construction methods for the model engineer
08/04/2022 17:11:38

I love this application of modern techniques to our hobby. Brings it into the current age whilst maintaining the spirit of ME.

I think I'm a data nerd. When I was younger my cars all had as many gauges as there were things to measure...

Thread: Material for wheels
08/04/2022 16:26:24

Mild Steel?

Thread: ER16 Collets from Ebay
08/04/2022 16:07:59
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 08/04/2022 14:57:46:

Trouble with ebay is it's a market-place, not a single seller..

..and I'm always astonished at how many people forget that. It's like writing off an entire town's shopping precinct because you got stiffed once at the Sunday market.

Thread: Pipe lagging
05/04/2022 15:35:07

I was having a brain fart. I was thinking I'd used it incorrectly as a contraction (as in "Keith Appleton is" but obviously it had been used correctly all along. I've no idea why my scant knowledge of grammar decided to desert me completely.

04/04/2022 19:30:25

For some reason I can't edit my post to remove the rogue apostrophe....

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate