By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Adrian 2

Here is a list of all the postings Adrian 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Screw cutting BSP threads
22/07/2017 15:04:12

Thanks to everyone, quick response. I am not clear on where to fit the 29T wheel. I have the 23T in the gearbox as Simon assumed.

19.04 TPI sounds close, could that discrepancy be considered of no consequence in practical terms?

Adrian.

22/07/2017 13:49:03

My Myford super seven is an export model and the gearbox does not have a 19 TPI setting (1/4 and 3/8 BSP ) .

My question is, can this pitch be arrived at by using change wheels and or the metric conversion set?

As a new comer to the delights of a gearbox, I am trying to get to grips with what can be achieved .

I do not have an immediate need for this thread but would like to know should I require it again later on.

Thank you.smiley

Adrian.

Thread: Wanner oil gun
21/06/2017 09:17:49

Thanks to everyone for your input, very helpful. I am going to play about with the Wanner first, see if I can cheer it up a bit. If not it can go in the bin! John's Pressparts gun sounds pretty good.

Adrian.

20/06/2017 17:06:56

I bought my Wanner oil gun from Myfords Nottingham just before they closed their doors for the final time. I bought it on the strength of Harry Paviour's comment in his Connoisseur lathe report in MEW 2003. "Trust me, they are the business and they don't leak"

Have I just been unlucky? With SAE 30 oil it leaks badly, with Nuto H 32 it is unusable. What a mess.

Myford had closed, I was stuck with it. Very disappointing. At about £70 a pop I am loath to invest in another. I would be interested to hear others experiences with it, or alternative guns that are reliable.

Thanks Adrian.

Thread: Myford gearbox confusion
17/06/2017 13:36:12

Good to know John. Thank you.

17/06/2017 12:46:10

Thank you for the link Clive. I have the same literature. As you say the wording could have been better, and my reading and interpretation of it were incorrect.

All is made clear now. Thanks to everyone. You can find out anything here.smiley

17/06/2017 11:52:52

Thanks peak4, I am beginning to see the light. Just been and had a play, makes sense now. That's 24 of the available threads where are the other 24 alluded to in the handbook ?

Adrian.

17/06/2017 11:24:14

Thanks John, that makes sense. I bought this lathe from the original owner in Canada. I would guess that is a standard made for export gearbox.

Adrian.

17/06/2017 10:29:31

004.jpg009.jpgI am far from new to Myford lathes but have no experience of using their gearbox.

The two photos show the thread cutting chart. The blue plate is a 2001 lathe , the red is I believe a 2002 machine.

I was surprised to see the different TPI shown . Just an observation really.

Right, here comes my confusion. The Myford quick change handbook states that there are 48 English threads available for instant selection. The plate shows 24. The plate states "FOR FINE FEEDS REVERSE GEAR ON STUD 'A' "

Reversing the cluster gear on stud 'A' would double the threads available to 48 .

My question is, at what point on the chart is a thread considered to be fine and require reversing the cluster gear ?

The plate itself is clear enough about where to set the levers but not when to reverse the cluster gear.

I 'm overlooking the obvious I expect. I am looking forward to being enlightened.

Adrian.004.jpg

Thread: Super seven motor guard
10/06/2017 20:13:50

Thanks DrDave,. The clean lathe? That's easy, I haven't used it. I acquired it in February and have been reorganising my workshop and setting up the lathe. Haven't even plugged it in yet. It won't look like that once I get going.smiley

Adrian.

10/06/2017 16:27:46

008.jpgFollowing on from my original thread regarding making a sheet metal motor guard for my super seven. I was inspired by ega's shop made guard and decided to have a go.

I do not have the skills or equipment for sheet metal work. A large vice, big hammer, blocks of wood and clamps. That's it. Any way I am quite pleased with how it turned, not too shabby.

Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Adrian.

Thread: Sheet metal worker
15/05/2017 17:54:24

Yeah, got that thanks. Been there done that !

15/05/2017 15:58:25

My new motor overhangs the mounting platform by about 80mm so your guard will not work for me. Food for thought though. Thanks.

15/05/2017 15:47:55

Thanks for that ega. My motor has slots in the sides as well as the end cover so is in the line of fire.

15/05/2017 15:04:59

Hello ega,

Thank you for your help and the offer of the guard, much appreciated, I will keep it in mind. A photo would be good if you can manage it.

Adrian.

15/05/2017 13:36:31

Can anyone recommend a good sheet metal / fabricator / welder in my neck of the woods please. I'm in East Sussex Uckfield, Hailsham Haywards Heath area.

I need an extended swarf/ motor guard for the new slightly longer (Newton Tesla) motor I am fitting to my super seven. I do not want to alter the original cover.

It is a small job for a small workshop/business I think.

Thank you for your help.

Adrian.

Thread: Myford motor pulley alignment
09/04/2017 15:42:59

Thank you for your input. I need to delve a bit deeper I think. As Hopper says, it is a rubber belt, but I would like to get it right if I can.

09/04/2017 11:25:20

Good morning all,

I am fitting a new motor to my big bore super seven and cannot get the pulleys in perfect alignment. The only way I can see to achieve this is to shim the motor platform which I do not favour.

I am seeing about 1- 1.5 mm of daylight under my straight edge in the vertical plane , that is a wedge of daylight not parallel daylight. How good do I have to get it or am I being to fussy ?

Appreciate your thoughts on this . Thanks.

Adrian.

Thread: Myford leadscrew bracket.
19/02/2017 18:59:52

That's encouraging John, it may not be as difficult as I at first thought.

Adrian.

19/02/2017 09:50:16

Thank you for your replies. The slide hammer idea sounds good . I will do it that way.

Adrian.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate