By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Adrian 2

Here is a list of all the postings Adrian 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lifting or hoisting a Myford Super 7
31/03/2018 09:16:59

CJ,

If you can mount the lathe on the cabinet before final positioning ( and it sounds like you can) , then fit wheels to the cabinet first , wheel into place, wheels off, job done.

Adrian.

Thread: Myford top slide cone damage.
28/01/2018 16:36:35

I like the sound of that KWIL. Thank you

Adrian.

28/01/2018 09:35:16

I can confirm they are hardened.

Adrian.

28/01/2018 07:40:19

Thank you Hopper for your thoughts on this. I will see if they are hardened and go from there, I don't see this as a major problem but having noticed the marking taking place I want to put a stop to it.

Michael G, your link is the thread I referred to in my opening post. smiley

Thank you.

Adrian.

27/01/2018 19:53:08

I don't think so Tony, the LH pad conforms quite well to the cone and a new replacement RH is no better than my original.

The damage concerns me and I wondered if others had suffered this problem. The cure no doubt is closely conforming pads.

Neil, the LH pad bears a pretty good contact witness mark. I need to achieve the same on the RH pad.

Thank you both for your replies.

Adrian.

27/01/2018 19:03:05

Thanks Neil.smileyyes

27/01/2018 18:26:44

Thanks Nick,

I have considered fitting them but I think they will be hard. I didn't know I had posted this in the wrong section. Oops !

Adrian.

27/01/2018 17:53:17

I am gradually bonding with my "new to me" big bore super 7. I have noticed an increasing number of bruise/digging in marks on the cone on the underside of the top slide base where the locking thrust pads bear.

As noted in a previous thread these pads are handed and profiled to conform to the shape of the cone. The damage seems to be caused by the right hand pad's extreme tip digging in and to a lesser extent it's shortest point ( just visible in the pictures). The main contact surface of the pad does not make contact at all. I think they may be hardened so not easy to fettle.

Has anyone else experienced this type of damage here? Am thinking of making maybe brass pads and blueing and fitting the ends to conform properly to the cone.

A new RH pad from Myford makes no difference. The new pads incidentally , are tapped for extraction. Good idea.

Thank you, Adrian.

Thread: Tail stock die holder.
25/01/2018 21:12:15

Thanks for every ones response. Yes I could make my own David , but you can spend so much time making tools to help make the things you really want to make, that you never seem to get round to making them.

Adrian.

25/01/2018 18:13:41

I am thinking of ordering a tailstock die holder set from Myford, ref 68865. Before doing so has anyone bought one and can comment on their purchase. It looks a very nicely made piece of kit. Not sure how the projecting peg functions.

Thank you.

Adrian.

Thread: Super 7 'Essentials' for beginner?
12/12/2017 15:43:16

Sparey's book is a must . He explains everything in layman's terms and is aimed at the absolute beginner . He assumes no prior knowledge on the part of the reader.

With this  book alone you can get started and be successful.

Adrian.

Edited By Adrian 2 on 12/12/2017 15:44:09

Thread: Hello
28/11/2017 17:52:26

You have now David.

Adrian.smiley001.jpg

Thread: Super 7 cross slide cover
05/11/2017 12:12:25

I have just got around to making this cover. Easy and well worth doing, prevents swarf clogging up the tee slots.smiley.

Adrian.006.jpg

Thread: Alternative places to buy / sell machines.
11/10/2017 17:31:15

Thank you all for your suggestions. Some of those look interesting to explore.

Adrian.

11/10/2017 09:27:16

Any suggestions please for other places / websites other than eBay ( and here of course ) which are good places to advertise or respond to "wanted" advertisements for lathes etc.

Thanks as always.

Regards,

Adrian.

Thread: How to straighten a brass handle.
30/09/2017 16:27:01

Job done. smiley Thanks to all for the advice. Two schools of thought on this one , to heat or not to heat ?

I screwed it to a block of wood in the vice to see if it felt cooperative, and with very little persuasion was returned to its former self without the use of heat. Result.

Regards, Adrian.

30/09/2017 12:02:35

I need to straighten this brass handle before it can be refixed. I do not want to break it by going about things in the wrong way.

Do I need to heat it ? I have a gas blowlamp at my disposal and the oven.

Your collective advice valued. Thanks Adrian.002.jpg

Thread: Screw cutting BSP threads
23/07/2017 09:59:27

Thank you Simon for the trouble you have gone to. Much appreciated, plenty of food for thought their.

Kind regards,

Adrian.

23/07/2017 07:52:32

Simon,

Thank you for the link to Allan. Interesting reading just what I was looking for.

Regards Adrian.

22/07/2017 17:35:32

Thank you for your help Brian,

It is good to know I can cut 19TPI if I need to. I don't think I will let 1/10th of a thou bother me! smiley

Kind regards,

Adrian.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate