By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Reese

Here is a list of all the postings John Reese has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: When buying a second hand machine tool, would you prefer a rebuilt machine or a project?
07/11/2021 01:49:18

A freshly painted machine is a red flag for me especially id there is paint where it should not be. Lipstick on a pig.

Thread: Ferrous, facing, HSS tool geometry
27/10/2021 22:25:06

I made up a couple tangential tool holders. The tool shank slopes 12* in both directions and the end of the bit is sharpened at about 30*. It gives an excellent finish either turning or facing.

Thread: Lathe Drilling
26/10/2021 21:11:34

I often see videos of drilling in the lathe. It is common to see the centerdrill move laterally as the point begins to penetrate the work. That tells me the tailstock is not aligned with the spindle. Many times this is due to the front of the tailstock base being worn, or the quill is loose in the tailstock body. If the base is worn shims can be placed between the tailstock base and the body.

Thread: CAD program that can import PDF for scaling
23/10/2021 23:05:13

Microsoft store has a free PDF to DXF converter. You can import DXF into most CAD software.

23/10/2021 22:43:13

Check out PDF to DXF conversion software.

Thread: Turning, Milling and Drilling Speeds
03/10/2021 22:19:13

If you have an iPhone there is FS Wizard or FS Wizard Pro that you can download. Don't know about Android phones.

Thread: Is there such a thing as an 'external reamer'?
02/10/2021 01:38:45

I am not sure if anything was sorted out.

An approach that was not mentioned is adapting a dial indicator to the cross slide. Many machinists use a magnetic back dial indicator to make saddle or cross slide travel repeatable.

Thread: Grinding tool bits
02/10/2021 00:58:10

Something that helps grinding HSS: replace the blue aluminum oxide wheels with friable white aluminum oxide. Many dealers that cater to woodworkers sell the white wheels.

02/10/2021 00:52:53
Posted by Derek Lane on 01/10/2021 13:44:28:

I have just sharpened my first hss blank I followed This Old Tony on u tube he does his very much like Mr Crispin video, I have just used it to turn some Ali with great results and some great chip breaking rather than long strings.

Congratulations. It is very difficult to create a tool that will break chips in wrought aluminum.

Thread: Special cutter to create valve guides
30/09/2021 22:07:42

If OP had shown the dimensions defining the recess He would have received better advise. The rendering of the part shows features impossible to machine unless the valve guides were separate pieces pressed into the head after the fins were cut. Whoever designed the head had no understanding of how to machine it.

30/09/2021 21:28:08

It always helps to know what equipment the OP has available so we could suggest solutions that best fit the tools available.

If OP had a lathe with a faceplate and a 20* wedge this could be a lathe job.

30/09/2021 21:24:17

The rotary table idea is a good one. It would require a 20* wedge on top of the RT.

30/09/2021 21:18:01

I checked, the closest hollow mill I have is 9/16 ID and 1 1/4 OD.

30/09/2021 20:07:22

You might consider valve guides as separate pieces pressed into the head.

30/09/2021 20:05:20

Hollow mills are outrageously expensive. The annular cutters (Rotabroach) is quite a bit cheaper. Another option is a trepanning tool in a boring head. It looks like a very wide cut so a rigid machine is needed.

I may have a 1/2" hollow mill. I could loan it to you if shipping from the US, customs, etc. would not be prohibitive. I will look today to see if I have that size.

Thread: Old rule divisions twelfs etc
30/09/2021 19:54:27
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 30/09/2021 18:55:40:

Michael, your 'clear' image is about 5" across on this device, and is therefore utterly useless as a defence of a scale that doesn't work in real life.

And Imperial measurements have enough stupid divisions without some idiot enthusing about 1/127s !

I have seen scales in 1/128" graduations and at least one twist drill sized in 1/128ths. I have a wooden rule graduated in whole inches only.

Thread: Cylinder Head Combustion Chamber Template
28/09/2021 22:08:39

Once the template was made it would be a simple matter to use a transfer punch or drill bit through the valve guides to mark the hole locations.

Thread: Hardening gauge plate (O1)
28/09/2021 20:59:46

Whether quenching in oil or water the part must be swirled around in the quench for optimum heat transfer. In water if the part is left stationary it will become covered in bubbles of steam which inhibit heat transfer.

When heating steel without the benefit of a controlled atmosphere there will be some surface decarburization resulting in reduced hardness at the surface. The longer the steel is held t temperature (soak) the deeper the decarb.

Thread: I need to cut chamfers into x64 pieces of mild steel - any advice?
28/09/2021 20:18:08

A proper countersink works quite nicely for milling chamfers as John Haine suggested. Using one allows the work to stand vertical in the vise.

Thread: Screw cutting
27/09/2021 22:51:23

The older lathes made in the US and I assume also in Europe had 0 deg. on the compound when the compound was perpendicular to the spindle axis. It seems that Chicom lathes read 0 when the compound was parallel with the spindle axis. That caused a lot of problems for beginners who read the old how to books and tried to follow those instructions on a Chicom lathe.

On fine threads plunge feed with the cross slide works fine. On coarser threads flank feed with the compound usually works best. An easy way to remember how to set the compound angle is that it should be parallel with the trailing flank of the tool. Actually it should be adjusted 1/2 to 1 degree closer to perpendicular. That assures the trailing flank od the tool takes a slight cut.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate