By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mark smith 20

Here is a list of all the postings mark smith 20 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Alexander master toolmaker
23/12/2019 14:19:22

Have you removed the bracket at the back of the horizontal drive unit ,then the horizontal head should slide off after removing the Y leadscrew.

So you cant just raise the vertical saddle until it disengages from the nut allowing you to lift the saddle off the top of the column?

23/12/2019 10:13:27

The carriage has to come of the top of the column its not easy its very heavy,i had to attach a make shift pully to the rafter in my shed roof and my wife held the rope (with much complaining surprise) whilst i lifted off the top of the column whilst standing on the base of the machine. Two strong people may be able to lift it off without needing a pulley or winch.

Of course the horizontal drive part has to be removed first.

The key i mentioned is in the keyway on the round drive rod in the first photo next to the leadscrew. Its supposed to sit  in the area within the cover where the nut is, lower down on the column. If you remove the cover plate  you can check the key is in place .

Edited By mark smith 20 on 23/12/2019 10:15:24

006_feed selector removal.jpg

008_feed selector removal.jpg

Edited By mark smith 20 on 23/12/2019 10:26:45

Edited By mark smith 20 on 23/12/2019 10:30:25

22/12/2019 20:18:24

Hi David have you checked the key that is in the vertical travel leadscrew, mine has a habit if slipping out which of course stops any movement , it may have jamed something.But may be wrong.

Mark

P.s i had everything to bits apart from the main gearing in the column which was all perfect.

Edited By mark smith 20 on 22/12/2019 20:19:36

Thread: Amplifier Repairs..
05/12/2019 12:06:04

Hi Dave, you obviously know alot more than me about amp circuits etc.. The valves do have cans on them by the way but the amp cabinet is open backed, so i havent noticed any heat problems. It has a strip of wood to stop the valves getting knocked though.

These amps were designed by Barry Vyse and mine was probably built in kit form on one of his amp building courses. Hes a very knowledgable guy and worked for Marconi Osram i believe. Wrote a book on the subject.

Do you happen to know which is the cathode bias resistor in the photo of the inside ??

Thanks Mark

04/12/2019 20:08:25

Yes theres certainly alot of talented musicians around who never get a break.

A friend of mine made it big, turned him into a ass. L.A, Drugs etc... But he eventually came down to earth . (Frank Dunnery of Its Bites etc..) Great musician but his older brother was better, he never wanted fame and despite offers from all over the place and refusing to fly ended up never leaving the village.

Another friend did quite well , he married that lady out of Bucks Fizz smiley He currently plays with Rick Wakeman.

I know several local guitarists who are very good but never really got a break.Also drummers. Great to listen to in pubs etc.. and can take their hands to any styles of music.

Edited By mark smith 20 on 04/12/2019 20:09:04

04/12/2019 19:30:39

Inside my amp ,a real amp with no pcb`s.

p1070950.jpg

p1070951.jpg

Thread: Acme thread
27/11/2019 11:09:52
Posted by Shaun Belcher on 27/11/2019 10:39:37:

Also regarding material of choice, i see I can choose the option of stainless or just (mild?) steel.

What is the best option to go for regarding wear?

Stainless has the added benefit that it wont rust.

I think its pretty clear to me now that the metric feedscrews myford solutions sell are simply made from standard 10mm 2mm pitch trapezoidal prethreaded rod.

Edited By Shaun Belcher on 27/11/2019 11:03:04

I made some here for my southbend when i got it. This was the result of only my third attempt ever at screw cutting. I just used leaded steel and used the original nuts . They were a large improvement in back lash etc on the original screws . Still working fine after a few years. I grafted the threaded section into the original parts using loctite and a pin.

p1280838.jpg

p1280853.jpg

Edited By mark smith 20 on 27/11/2019 11:11:36

27/11/2019 09:37:14

Shaun , a slightly larger diameter screw would still work the same in regard to the dials if the pitch TPI is the same .(as long as everything else is machined to fit (the nut, dials ,handles etc...)

Edited By mark smith 20 on 27/11/2019 09:37:59

Thread: aluminium troubles
25/11/2019 10:50:07

My view is your depth of finishing cut off the diameter ( 0.06mm - 2.3 thou)is too small for a carbide cutter.

Edited By mark smith 20 on 25/11/2019 10:51:56

Thread: Anyone know what is the protective plastic film on brass sheet made of?
23/11/2019 19:27:03
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 23/11/2019 17:32:30:
Posted by Bandersnatch on 23/11/2019 17:08:40:

Others here are big enough and ugly enough to make their own decisions but personally I wouldn't touch that method with yours. Burning plastics is always a no-no in my book since some (notably vinyls) can produce hydrogen cyanide and most produce toxic/noxious fumes.

If it's polyethylene it will only give off H2O and CO2, in approximately equal quantities.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Sorry no.

Polyethlene when heated will produce an oily paraffin like stuff up to about 450 C ,above that black carbon deposits, various aldehydes, propane ,methylvinylketone and also several other things like acetic acid depending on temperature of course.

Also depending on how fast the temp. is reached which for a laser would be quite quickly.

Thread: Royal Mail tracking
21/11/2019 09:49:45

I regularly send items worldwide by International signed and tracked service.

Now royal mail also offer a tracked service for the same price. Why would anyone pay for just tracked ,when signed and tracked is exactly the same price.

They also state that it is fully tracked all the way. In reality it is tracked until it leaves the UK and after that anything happens from the odd entry for tracking ,to nothing at all . You have to go to the country your sending to`s postal tracking and hope they have scanned it and updated the tracking.

This happens occasionally but often nothing shows up on the tracking. Ive had parcels to the US arrive at the US customs in 1-2 days and then disappear for 3 weeks.

Funnily when you start kicking up a stink they usually miraculously reappear with no explanation of where the parcel has been.

If i use Fedex or UPS , tracking is usually up to date and no problems at all.

21/11/2019 00:15:17

Royal mail tracking is a bit of a joke. How come other companies can supply up to date realtime tracking and royal mail can`t ,considering how long the company has been in business.

Thread: Anyone know what is the protective plastic film on brass sheet made of?
21/11/2019 00:11:22

I believe its usually LDPE (low density polyethylene)

Thread: Resilient motor mount retaining clips.
19/11/2019 17:03:37

I think hes refering to the clamp /clips with the nuts on that go on either end to fix the motor onto the cradle. Like in this thread.

**LINK**

Thread: Grinding and cutoff discs for angle grinders
15/11/2019 09:43:12

Recently cut up some hss using a thin diamond disc for angle grinder , much better than the resin bonded ones and far less mess. But didnt work well on brass ,they all gummed up with brass particles.

Thread: I cannot disassemble the X axis lead screw
13/11/2019 18:40:00

I agree with Bazyle, you would only really take that bit apart if you were fitting a new leadscrew.

Thread: Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'
12/11/2019 19:37:52

Hi Richard your is probably from around 1958 or maybe later. Mines numbered 1220 but strangely the head is numbered 1224.

Mine was made on the 7th Feb 1956 smiley and sold to the watchmaker and aircraft dial maker Louis Newmark (or the machine was finished being made on that date)

Mine doesnt have needle rollers but the round ballbearing rollers . One or 2 were corroded but i managed to find an old stock stack bearing on ebay and used two piece of that to finish the head stack.

bought off ebay to use as part replacement.jpg

p1290561.jpg

Edited By mark smith 20 on 12/11/2019 19:44:46

12/11/2019 17:11:08
Posted by Richard - on 12/11/2019 16:14:40:

The Alex vertical head is 4mt, the original draw bar is S20, I'm getting quite proficient at cutting it, both internal and external.

I've done allsorts on mine, if you mount off the vertical where the table fits you can bore all the way to the floor!!

Point to note when using a vfd you will still be changing belts as you lose torque,

Richard

Edited By Richard - on 12/11/2019 16:17:20

Richard what year is your Alexander /number??

Mark

Thread: Painting! There one day, gone the next!
12/11/2019 15:26:03

The oxidised layer doesnt lift ,its just the paint has a very weak bond to the oxide surface.

Thread: Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'
12/11/2019 15:19:47
Posted by Gary Wooding on 12/11/2019 14:21:59:
Posted by mark smith 20 on 11/11/2019 11:07:56:

Get one of these ,ive never regreted it.smiley

18.jpg

Hi Mark, is it a Deckel?

I could really fancy one of those, it's even better than my Centec 2B

Hi Gary, not a deckel but a GHA Alexander, so basically a clone.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate