By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for alan ord 2

Here is a list of all the postings alan ord 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New workshop, advice required!
27/09/2023 15:07:01

Totally agree about working on bare concrete floor. I covered mine with interlocking rubber matting. Had to cut it to go around machines but works great and quite cheap. It's also not as cold. Regarding heating, I use a small electric oil heater controlled by a thermostat. I switch it on at the end of October and switch it off in March. Never heat with a naked flame source as it will generate condensation.

Alan.

Thread: Motor help required.
11/09/2023 13:39:57

Andy / Noel thanks for the info. I will check the centrifugal switch as you suggest. The motor did stick again but after a few cycles it corrected itself again so I do need to fix the switch.

Thanks all for your guidance.

Regards, Alan.

11/09/2023 12:20:50

Interesting situation????? Tried a couple of times to start and stop the motor and listen for the centrifugal switch click. Did not hear anything. Had to assist the start by turning the motor pulley. Tried a third time and this time heard a click as the motor slowed down. Retried the motor again and it started and ran without the need to turn the pulley wheel. Tried three more times and its now working OK. Sounds like I may have an intermittent fault.

Does the centrifugal switch need replacing?

Regards,

Alan.

11/09/2023 11:31:05

rating plate.jpgrating plate 2.jpgmotor 3.jpgmotor 2.jpgmotor 1.jpgburgess motor.jpg

Hi guys, I have attached some photos of the motor. Don't know why they are not the correct way up. Maybe one of the moderators can correct and possibly advise me where I went wrong. The photos were the correct way on my PC.

Noel I am based just south of Doncaster.

Howard / Noel, after lunch I will try to listen for the centrifugal switch click.

Circlip, what do you mean BK3. I know very little about motor electrics.

Where is the centrifugal switch located? Can I access it by removing the motor end cap and how do I recognise it. Sorry for the dumb questions.

Regards,

Alan.

10/09/2023 18:53:27

Thanks guys for the quick response. To be honest a lot of what you described went straight over my head. I will get some photos tomorrow and post them.

Thanks, Alan

10/09/2023 18:28:17

Hi guys, I need some advice / guidance from the electrical motor community. I recently purchased an old modified Burgess band saw. When i first got it it ran OK. But recently when I power it up the motor hums but does not move. If I turn the pulley wheel manually whilst the motor is buzzing it starts and runs OK. I disconnected the drive belt, tried again with the same result. Can anybody advise what might be wrong.

Thanks in advance, Alan.

Edited By alan ord 2 on 10/09/2023 18:29:26

Thread: Grinding and sharpening coated end mills
08/09/2023 11:50:24

I was Operations Manager of B&D machine shop in Spennymoor Co Durham and we used to produce millions of gears and splined shafts for power tools. We used to hob the gear profile using coated hobs and regrind the hobbs in house. The coating is, as mentioned by Howard, to reduce friction, therefore by regrinding the the cutting edge does not remove the coating from the rest of the hob flanks. We used to hob gears and shafts hard up to 65 Rc which eliminates distortion that is induced by post heat treatment as is customary. This has a dramatic affect of reducing gear noise. As an interesting story, I visited A German machining company called Hertzog and when I told the owner we were hobbing at 65 Rc he would not believe me. When I got back to the UK he called me and asked if he could visit the factory. He did and we showed him the process including prior hobbing component hardness checks. He was still sceptical and asked if he could take some components he watched being hobbed and components prior to hobbing. we also allowed him to photograph the process. He was very complimentary of how we were machining the parts.

Alan.

Thread: Poor quality drill bits
04/09/2023 15:39:15

For info, Black and Decker have or did have until recently a drill manufacturing facility in Bushellberg (I think that's how you spell it ) in Germany for many years. I worked for B & D for over 20 years as factory manager manufacturing accessories and DeWalt power tools in the UK, US, Italy and lastly in China. I have been retired 10 years now so not sure if the factory in Germany is still open. I was very good friends with their plant manager.

By the way the factory in China produced many B&D power tools and Accessories plus DeWalt power tools and quality was exceptional.

Alan

Thread: Budget Welding carts - Any good?
24/06/2023 12:42:18

I don't have a problem with mine. Mig welder sits on the top and as its gas less I sit my oil cooled stick welder where the gas bottle resides at the back. My plasma cutter sits on the bottom shelf and my mask and consumables are located on the middle shelf.

Very happy with it.

Alan.

Thread: Small Historical Lathe, Small Horizontal Mill, Hand-Operated Pillar Drill, & 4x Single Phase Motors available on pay-what-you-want basis - Help me with my workshop clearout!
03/04/2023 19:50:12

Hi Jelly, I have sent you a personal message.

Thanks, Alan.

Thread: Moore & Wright depth gauge - information, please!
02/03/2023 12:07:18

The top knurled knob is removed and the relevant rod, depending upon depth measured, is inserted and the knob replaced. Check calibration using a slip gauge.

Alan.

Thread: Harrogate Model Engineering Exhibition March 2023
10/01/2023 11:17:25

Web site for info. on event and advance ticket sales.

theeventsoffice.com

Alan

Thread: Doncaster Model Railway Show.
17/12/2022 18:18:49

Hi A Smith, can you post the link to the Yorkshire Event Page article you have referred to. I have searched the home page for info regarding the Harrogate ME Show without success.

Thanks,

Alan Ord.

Thread: Arc-Euro
26/11/2022 15:48:08

Has anybody heard if Arc will be offering a tooling discount code this Christmas?

I need a few things and I'm shopping around.

Thanks,

Alan.

Thread: Shop Calculator
25/10/2022 12:02:57

Finally got there. Easy when you know what you are doing, not so for me with very little knowledge of computing. Thanks to all who helped.

Alan.

24/10/2022 19:48:08

Hi Ady1, thanks for that. It's exactly what I am looking for. How do I change the .ex_ to .exe? I have downloaded the file but need help to open it. Don't know how or if I did it last time.

Alan.

24/10/2022 16:22:29

Some time ago, in one of the ME postings to this site, someone gave a download link to a very usefull "Shop Calculator" or "Metal Shop Calculator" application. Can anybody help me by giving me a copy of the down load link. I have just bought a new computer and have not been able to transfer the programe from my old computer and after searching the forum and Google I can't find the link. I use it a lot and am now resigned to booting up my old (very slow) computer to use the app.

Alan.

Thread: Chinese draft angles
12/10/2022 19:34:43

Try cap head screws.

Thread: Warco VM12
29/06/2022 20:43:13

Peter, there are several You Tube video's showing how to replace the gear. A few years ago I checked a number of them out. As I have the Chester equivalent I searched Chester Champion 20 vs Hi Lo gear replacement.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Try G0704 Intermediate (High Low) Gear Replacement. Paret 1 removal.

By the way G0704 is the US Grizzly equivalent

Edited By alan ord 2 on 29/06/2022 20:51:15

Thread: FAULTY DRILL BITS !
15/03/2022 14:51:33

Talking of counterfeit copies, I recently bought a bunch of Brazil manufactured Dormer drills off e bay at a very reasonable price. During my search of e bay I came across a lot of cheap Dormer drills and started me wondering if they are copies/fakes. Anybody got any thoughts on this or am I just paranoid.

Alan

Edited By alan ord 2 on 15/03/2022 14:52:23

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate