By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Halford

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Halford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Case Hardening Push Rod Ends
20/07/2023 19:15:00

Shouldn't pushrods be tubes with hardened ends?

Thread: Spiders
19/07/2023 16:51:52
Posted by JA on 19/07/2023 15:56:07:

Spiders are most welcome in the workshop although I do get concerned for wandering bumble bees.

If I lived in Australia it would be very different. They have many nasty beasts, one is the Red Back Spider. I am sure you will hear about it when Australia wakes up.

JA

The white version may be worse !!!

Thread: Anyone any experience of a Chester Model T Super Mill
18/07/2023 00:08:45

Professional tool that one.

Thread: IXL belt change
17/07/2023 22:55:33

There's normally a flange behind the chuck to take horizontal thrust from the cutting tool so they have to come out that way.

This doesn't help either it's a more modern one.

17/07/2023 19:52:04

If all the pullies are loose it should gently tap out forwards with a rawhide hammer.

Beware of double grub screws in those pullies.

Or you could switch the link belt in there instead

Thread: Interference fit bearing sleeve
16/07/2023 10:11:44

If they can do it over the pond ..... link

Thread: Budget Welding carts - Any good?
15/07/2023 09:42:19

Both of those cylinder chains would scare me, the bottom one can slip under the bottle and you have reduced the angle iron ability to restrain the bottle with your wood 'Improvement'

Thread: Do you need an oil change with less than 10,000 miles in 10 years?
14/07/2023 23:57:03

My jeep swallows 9.75 L of oil and claims a 12k mile service interval - it gets done once a year, which is 6k regardless.

Thread: Safety gloves
14/07/2023 11:25:36

I suspect those suggesting Nitrle gloves are thinking of the very thin style disposable gloves. Those saying no are thinking of the fabric reinforced type. Neither will stop metal splinters/chips.

You can make a scoop from a 4 pt milk container to help clean up, but most of my splinters are picked up from wiping my hands on a rag, which provides enough force to penetrate the skin and they always come from the mill.

14/07/2023 11:09:21
Posted by Simon Robinson 4 on 13/07/2023 22:33:13:
Posted by Howard Lewis on 13/07/2023 14:30:48:

Running the engine will cause moisture and carbon to enter the oil, and any sulphur that was present, apart from any othger constituent (Base oil stock and the various additives) are likely to put acid into the oil.

One, the additives will have become depleted, and the frequent cold runs, inferred from less than 1K per annum, the oil will be in a very poor state.

I have seen engines subjected to continuous short runs, and poorly (infrequently ) serviced where the rocker levers were moving up and down in slots in the sludge.

Vans used by local councils rarely get really hot, and, like Noel, I have heard of cases where the sump plug could be removed with little fear of an oil drip onto the floor.

There have been cases of crankshaft seizure because the oil pump could no longer pump the sludge around the engine.

I've seen one strainer, 6" diameter with barely a 1/4" hole open, with the rest blocked by sludge, where this happened.

Economising on servicing does not pay. The "savings". get spent on repairs or eplacement.

I've seen engines where "To save fuel" the idling speed was reduced to just enough to keep the engine running. The fuel savings didn't pay for the rings and liners needed because the oil did not get thrown up the bores!

That Fiat engine might well be in bad way beacause of poor lubrication and corrosion.

If you are thinking of buying it, think VERY carefully

Howard

It ceratinly needs a good flush and new filter, followed by another new filter

Edited By Howard Lewis on 13/07/2023 14:33:33

To de-sludge it, would adding an Engine flushing compound like Wynn’s to the existing oil, then running the engine for 20 mins before draining it, then filling the oil tank with a mix of economy oil and Wynn’s running for 20 mins before draining that out. Then change filter and add the recommended good quality 5w 40 be a good idea?

Also is paraffin or diesel just as good an alternative as using Wynn’s for flushing?

Having bought a 72 triumph 2.5pi estate which turned out to have low oil pressure, but no light. With the valve springs completely buried in enough black sludge.to fill a one pint measuring jug I don't fancy the chances of that lot coming loose without clogging every gallery the engine has. The bearings on it were all copper so already knackered.

However being we are now in a new Century with fully synthetic oil and bearing clearances that require much thinner oil and manufacturers forbidding flushing oil, there are cheaper ways to get a boat anchor if you need one.

Unlike JimmyB I had a workmate with 250K miles on a Sierra doing 60 miles a day, regular servicing helps.

Anyone doing only a 1k miles a year should probably consider a Nissan Leaf as it's clearly a shopping car

Edited By Dave Halford on 14/07/2023 11:10:13

Thread: when you go for a pee ...
13/07/2023 16:40:52

They used to say that when tested bowls of bar peanuts also contained urine

13/07/2023 16:35:21

The oil goes acidic due the the small amount to sulphur in the fuel. Giving it 12x the time to sit in an engine is asking for trouble.

Thread: Plasma cutter woes
12/07/2023 10:41:17

Given we know the internet is full of sellers too fond of cut and paste, where an AG60 torch in the title becomes a PT31 in the write up buyer beware.

There's something definitely wrong with the air my pt30 wandered off like that when the air went low, or maybe damp air?

The consumables look the same for pilot arc or drag tip torches, buy the right gun for the machine.

Found this on Amazon This product is durable and strong for the cost Hope they don't change the manufacturing procedure anytime soon. The other ones I used, cause my torch to burn out instead of the tips. Now I've been cutting with the same tips for a week.

You aren't the only one with poor consumables.

Thread: Sealing between skirting and floorboards
12/07/2023 00:01:02

You may have to use wooden beading. All the acrylic that I have ever used has continued to dry and shrink.

Thread: Making an alternator that charges 'properly'
10/07/2023 21:03:55

Black red is now only for the US

In the UK Dc comes in various mixes of blue, brown and grey depending on +ve or -ve earthed

Thread: Balancing Bench Grinder Wheels
10/07/2023 12:17:00
Posted by Adrian R2 on 10/07/2023 09:45:01:

@Andrew, I haven't spent any money so far but yes it would be nice to have better kit but that probably means a big chunk of 3 phase iron and an inverter to run it. All the reviews I found of replacement wheels had someone complaining theirs was out of balance from new.

@Noel, indeed. The bearing I chose has a contact area on the wheel which is very close to that of the dished washer so stresses are I think OK, if it needs a bigger bearing then a spacer could be made to suit. That said I did turn it on using an extension lead from across the room rather than standing right next to it.

My £25 B&Q 6" bench grinder is fine with no vibration even when I remounted the stones.

You need to buy your budget grinder from somewhere local so you can take it back when it behaves like your does.

It simple to check wheel wobble with a pencil and an out of balance (weight) wheel will always stop at the same point.

Now I'm not one to stop innovation, but I wouldn't want to fudge a grinder with bent axles or a stone that runs true, but still produces a wobble, the wheels are not reinforced like angle grinder ones so continuing to run one might eventually break even an otherwise good wheel. Not forgetting that by then you will be stood in front of it.

Thread: Hearing aids - NHS or private?
06/07/2023 12:12:18

Spec savers audio supply all aids as pairs and therefore all prices are for two.

NHS aids will go louder than private and Spec savers can supply them if you are referred by your GP.

Rechargables are a bit larger than the battery versions.

My wife's have the speaker in the ear and are better in crowded places with lots of background sound like the supermarket.

Thread: Poor surface surface finish milling steel
05/07/2023 12:35:41

Isn't side milling supposed to be approx. the radius of the cutter in depth so for the 6mm dia cutter three passes would be required for 10mm thick work.

Thread: Steam on two wheels
03/07/2023 22:43:07

Chris you missed this thread from Windy

Thread: Kennedy Hexacut machine hacksaw
03/07/2023 22:38:11

Did you change the blade at the same time? Is it still cutting on the same stroke? My 90 wandered till I used a full size power hacksaw blade, but then it is a much heavier bow.

Half the vice is steel, but the fixed side is only the main alloy casting, is that worn just where the 28mm rod rests?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate