By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Wheeler

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Wheeler has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WARCO WM-250 lathe family and WM16 mill
10/02/2016 23:10:28

Thanks very much Jim, you're a star.

That would explain why using 1 didn't work.

I can finish my adapter tomorrow.

10/02/2016 18:03:56

Could somebody please post a picture of the sticker on the splashback that lists the threading dial positions?

Like a fool I forgot to note what they were before I binned the splashback(I don't have room for it on the bench), and although I have the change gears set for the 1.5mm pitch thread I need, I have already ruined two workpieces.

Mine's a metric lathe if that helps.

Thanks,

Nick

Thread: How do I make this ?
08/01/2016 19:32:49

However. That still does not tell me how to actually machine an item like that from plate. Surely it is not just a case of one having to grind or file it it.

Can I stick it on a vertical stub mandrel & rotate it against a cutter somehow . Each end at a differing radii?

Once you've tried all the setting up and faffing about milling it, you'll see why the grinder/belt sander is a good idea. Of course if you need an exact radius/position then more accurate methods become worthwhile

08/01/2016 18:21:14

Mark out, drill the holes, bolt a few together, rough out the end radii with an angle grinder and finish on a belt sander. Add the slots with the angle grinder.

That's OK for half a dozen or so, but life is too short.

Have as many as you need laser cut and spend the time on something important.

Edited By Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 08/01/2016 18:21:42

Thread: Rotary Table
06/01/2016 14:50:05

Interesting how no one has said anything about size: by the time you've fitted the table, workholder and work, you rapidly run out of room to actually do anything.

Thread: The little car you can drive in France without a licence
04/01/2016 16:50:39

Having recovered several of these things back to the local Aixam dealer, I would suggest that they make Reliants look like high quality, high performance, long lasting, good value engineering. Yes, they really are that bad!

Thread: Bandsaw Problem
28/12/2015 12:44:47

Norman,

I'm sure you know this, but the best way of getting rid of stuff is to not do it alone! Be ruthless, and dispose of it immediately.

Thread: Harrison lathe oils
21/12/2015 11:35:50
Posted by fizzy on 17/11/2015 19:45:51:

Can I ask - if motor grade gearbox oil will protect my car gearbox under heavy load for tens of thousands of hours, why isnt it perfectly suitable for my lathe? (not withstanding bearing seal material incompatabilities). Thanks.

For our small machines pretty much any oil will be suitable.

The main reason for not using gearbox oil is it stinks.

Thread: Super 7
16/12/2015 22:35:05

Why would you want to repaint that?

Thread: Myford rear toolpost
13/12/2015 14:14:53
Posted by old Al on 13/12/2015 12:51:31:

Why send anything back. Their is no manufacturing fault in either the toolpost or the parting tool. It is the bringing together of the two parts that has created the problem. Engineering is all about bringing bit together.

I agree, although it's three parts as you have to include the lathe in all this. It seems daft to me to expect to buy something like this and have it be exactly on height. After all, shimming ordinary toolbits is SOP.

And is it really that difficult to do? A lick on a belt sander for the bottom of the parting tool, and a quick file of the equivalent area and base of the toolpost should get it really close and take about as much time as you'd spend reading these posts.

Thread: Question - WM250 Topslide
09/12/2015 22:42:21

Have you tried the new toolpost in place with a holder for height?

I have a Myford size Dixon type on mine and haven't modified the topslide. Instead, I made a ring to go around the existing boss(to give the QCTP a bit more mounting area) and a stepped nut to use the existing stud that centres the post. This means I can still use the original 4way post for things like my large parting tool and and the knurling tool.

Thread: how many 'one time' tools do you have?
30/11/2015 14:05:21

The tools that were bought for, and used on specific jobs aren't the problem for me as they've paid for themselves. It's the tools that looked useful and turned out to be a waste of money that annoy me; the 3/8" Dewalt 10volt cordless impact driver looked really handy, but has actually ended up being a battery donor for the similar sized drill that I use all the time.

Thread: Making torches and pens
18/11/2015 16:54:03
Posted by Bazyle on 18/11/2015 13:06:03:

Triggered by a mention on another thread I thought I'd start a thread on this subject.
I know that pen making and torch making often come up (more on American forums) as the reason for buying a lathe and pens especially have become rather popular amongst woodworkers.

So does anyone on here do it, and Why?

Pens are so close to obsolete and seldom used I find my handwriting is deteriorating. I couldn't do without one around but seldom write more than a sentence, address, or doodle and wouldn't want a big fat wooden or metal one for that. Plus even in the days before computers and I had decent ones they would tend to get lost too quickly.

Torches - well not needed that much even though I live in a village with only one streetlamp and have a long dark garden path to the front door I only need a torch if the ponies / bullocks have been wandering around since the last rain. I use a headband for preference for 'hands free' operation.

I learnt a long time ago that the only way I don't lose pens is to use a nice one, Having a customer sign the paperwork with a nice stainless steel Parker also looks much more professional than a chewed Bic.

Small torches are like pocket knives; I use them often enough that I rarely leave leave the house without them.

Asking a craft forum why anyone would make things like that is very odd!

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
14/11/2015 18:00:48

Sheep can't really be trusted on motorway verges though!

Thread: Bee Keeping
14/11/2015 15:54:12
Posted by jason udall on 14/11/2015 14:47:26:
Engineers to share..experience and knowledge. ..
So is that experience of an engineer or engineering experience? ...
Isn't English funny?

The original phrase does not require that the experience or the knowledge has to have anything to do with engineering. Which is exactly what makes this forum interesting and useful.

Thread: Myford Motor Swarf Guard
05/11/2015 16:53:22

How about some self-adhesive stick-on foam to stop the rattle? Then you can do something important.

Thread: The Ass is out of the stables
28/10/2015 20:12:45
Posted by Bazyle on 28/10/2015 17:40:48:

Don't forget it is already legal for a tradesperson or professional whom you invite into your home to do a job of work to examine your computer files and photograph you and your home and use such information to make money (not through blackmail but by selling to newspapers) and to provide such information to the police to determine if a crime may have been committed. By extension they can rifle through all you personal papers, bank statements etc in any room in the house and use such information, with help of the media, to destroy your career, life, marriage, without any comeback.

You can prove that? With actual proof that doesn't require wearing a foil helmet?

Thread: Unboxing\Installing\Lifting a Warco 250V
17/10/2015 20:12:57

I had mine delivered to work, where they unloaded it with the forklift.

I then broke the crate down, and removed the compound slide, tailstock, splashguard; basically as much stuff as possible. Two of us then put it in the boot of my estate car.

A different two of us unloaded it at home, carried it across the road and then slid it down the cellar steps on a plank. We did use a strop to steady it.

Then we picked it back up, carried it through the cellar and placed it on the bench where it lives.

It's perfectly doable like this, but it would have been easier 15years ago when I worked in a warehouse, and carried heavy stuff around all day.

Thread: QCT for warco WM250
17/06/2015 23:16:52

I have a Myford size Dickson copy on my WM250.

I made a ring the depth of the boss on the compound slide, big enough for the toolpost to sit on. Then I made a stepped nut in the style of the lathe's original for the top.

That probably took 15 minutes to do, and the resulting assembly easily parts off 30mm stainless.

Thread: Deals on machines at ME shows
03/05/2015 21:21:37

I bought my 250V-F at the Alexandra show last year and there was £100 of the posted show price without asking. As I was upgrading from a mini-lathe I already had some appropriate tooling, but the discussion meant they added a couple of chuck backing plates too.

Which all amounted to roughly 10% off.

And I hadn't intended to buy a new machine when I left the house that morning!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate