By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Wheeler

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Wheeler has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
08/09/2016 14:13:59
Posted by Ed Duffner on 08/09/2016 13:53:36:

Those brake disks would make a nice base for a small machine tool e.g. filing machine, micro pillar-drill.

The mounting flanges are a bit thin for that sort of use.

Thread: Possible new ideas for Model Engineers' Workshop
04/09/2016 20:23:28

One thing that would be useful in any article, is a simple critique of the design process/part/technique.

For instance: these jacking adapters should have been made in two parts. Instead of turning them from a single piece of 38mm steel, the 20x4mm diameter pin should have been loctited in place. Not only would it have saved time and material, it would have been easier to do.jackadapters[1].jpg

Teaching myself to do this sort work from books, magazines and videos meant starting at the bottom of a steep learning curve. I wish I had been more interested in this while my grandfather was still alive; some instruction from a skilled professional would have really helped.

Thread: Is CNC cheating
04/09/2016 19:03:57
Posted by John Stevenson on 04/09/2016 17:17:15:

The results of the poll also surprised me and Shaun's comment on workshop owners not making models.

Now I can see where ME gets its name from but MEW could easily loose the Model from its title and cater more to a broader audience.

The Americans have it right with Home Shop Machinist, a title that caters for all.

I'm guessing that of the 'alternative' ( meant nicely ) the majority are vintage / classic bike guys ?

So how about a small monthly column on making / repairing a bike part ?

Even for the non bike crowd the process could be interesting

Working backwards:

a monthly column on making/repairing a 'part' is an excellent idea - the reverse engineering of the locking wheelnut key was the most interesting part of the current MEW.

I recently made a pair aircraft jacking adapters for a friend, to replace ones that were apparently "really expensive". Modelling them in CAD to work out the taper angle was educational, as was making them in one piece from 38mm stock. I would now make them two pieces, with the 20x4mm diameter pin inserted into the larger part. The £25 covered a round of drinks after ringing practice, so it all seems like a good use of 90minutes to me.

jackadapters[1].jpg

I'm 'alternative', but it's usually parts and tools for old cars and hotrods, plus repairs.

Home Shop Machinist is a horrible phrase, but it is much more descriptive for those of us who will never make a model. Although a simple clock is something I would like to try.

Edited By Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 04/09/2016 19:04:49

03/09/2016 18:17:29
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 03/09/2016 18:05:51:

The saddest thing about this thread, aside from the bickering, is that Neil's poll has only attracted 103 votes.

There is an obvious trend from those votes.

01/09/2016 17:51:23
Posted by Phil Whitley on 01/09/2016 16:46:14:

Nicholas Wheeler 1

It's not as as if cranking handles on manual machines is a romantic mystical process tinged with magic. It's just work.

?

Perhaps I am weird (some have said it!) but that is exactly the opposite to how I feel when I am machining! Perhaps Nick needs a different hobby!

Phil

I use small machine tools(and welders, hand tools, etc) at home to make and repair parts for things to support my hobbies. Bizzarely 'Model Engineer' has become the English term to describe this; the American 'Home Shop Machinist' seems so much more sensible to me. Being able to produce the part is what matters to me, I'll cut and file a small piece, but I've also drawn them in CAD and had them laser cut when it's been a better solution.

I started with a mini-lathe, then bought a mini-mill. A couple of years ago I upgraded to a WM250v lathe and the ability to easily take 3mm cuts in steel has dramatically improved my productivity. Doing the same with the mill would probably be even more effective, but I simply don't have room for anything bigger. Converting it to CNC so it cranks to and fro shaving off little bits of metal while I do something else could be almost as good.

31/08/2016 22:36:44

I couldn't care less how it was made, I just want the part in an efficient, timely manner. It's not as as if cranking handles on manual machines is a romantic mystical process tinged with magic. It's just work.

Thread: Abom79 Keith Fenner
29/08/2016 21:19:30

I've watched a number of Keith Fenner's videos because he has some interesting jobs, and shoots them clearly. But he is so boring, and the sheer length of each video exacerbates that.

Thread: What to get: Imperial or metric
29/08/2016 13:53:28
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 29/08/2016 11:51:51:

Back to engineering; given the number of errors that have been posted in this thread when converting from imperial to metric, or vice versa, I'm amazed that anybody manages to make anything at all in any sort of unit.

Andrew

I follow my grandfather's advice on that: converting gives you another chance to f^#k up, learn to work in both. So although my machines are metric(as you would expect when they were bought new in the 21st century), on the rare occasions imperial jobs come up, I push the button on the digital caliper, and get an inch micrometer out of the drawer.

Thread: What would you ban and why? (Definitely tearoom!)
24/08/2016 15:52:33
Posted by fizzy on 24/08/2016 14:10:36:

We made a joke only this very morning about using management speak in interviews (rather topical here at the moment seeing as we are all out of a job soon). Ducks in a row, low hanging fruit and comfort breaks to name just a few!!

There are worse: don't ever work for a company that feels the need for each department to have a mission statement. Astonishingly my Out on time for the stores was approved, even though it had nothing to do with the stock.

Being empowered by a manager means he's getting you to the job he's too lazy/incompetent/inept/ignorant/playing golf to do himself.

23/08/2016 14:22:24
Posted by Michael Walters on 23/08/2016 13:38:22:
Posted by Bodger Brian on 23/08/2016 13:29:23:
Posted by V8Eng on 21/08/2016 20:55:55:

Ban the word "like" from being spoken unless it is in the correct context.

Along with the phrase "my bad". I always want to reply "your bad what?"....

Brian

And problems being described as "issues" They aren't magazines!

The redundant insertion of "solutions" is one that always annoys me. Two I've recently seen on vans: Maintenance and repair solutions to all makes of tailifts and Logistics solutions. Deleting solutions from both of those makes no difference to the meaning.

Some years ago a customer pointed out a number of particularly puerile slogans on passing lorries, and now I can't help noticing them.Occasionally there are some that are worth reading, Poultry in motion on a Sussex Turkey Farm truck was good

22/08/2016 12:28:58
Posted by Ajohnw on 22/08/2016 10:00:33:

Something that should be banned - large HGV's running on their speed limiter and overtaking others doing the same on dual carriage ways and motor ways. We would all get there a lot quicker if they stopped this and use less fuel. It seems that they should drive to a 10 second rule - if overtaking takes longer don't.

devilMake every one else overtake in 10 secs or lees too.

John

-

You should try driving a vehicle with a 90kmh limiter. Anyone who doesn't drive on it whenever possible is going to struggle to get their work done. Many of them are on such tight schedules they won't have enough hours to get home at the end of the day. Slowing them down any further on dual carriageways etc is going to create an even bigger speed differential between them and 'Us' and that's already the biggest cause of crashes. Spreading them out would make already overcrowded roads even worse - this would be the biggest improvement of driverless vehicles, they ought to be able to run virtually touching at all times. But at that point you might as well just couple them all together, and make all the passenger compartments public. We would need to come up with a name for such vehicles, as 'train' is already taken.

21/08/2016 13:01:04
Posted by John Stevenson on 21/08/2016 12:44:27:
Posted by Michael Walters on 21/08/2016 12:31:18:

"On a side note i would ban Rap/Dance music and computer gameslaugh"

"I've found a witch, may we burn her?"

Michael W

Only if you put the video up on Youtube but don't stretch it out.

And ensure you don't use any dangerous chemicals to start the fire.

Thread: Knurling
19/08/2016 12:42:06

Is the occasional use of a side knurling tool really any worse for the machine than a common operation like parting off? Considering the small sizes of most of our parts, I would be more concerned about distorting the workpiece with a side knurler. Mine was knocked up in a few minutes to allow the use of a straight knurl wheel I found in a box, apart from proving it works I haven't used it yet.

The small scissor knurler I bought struggled on 25mm stainless bar in my old minilathe, but was OK in other materials. It's better in the bigger machine I now have.

Thread: Decoding Abbreviations on a Technical Drawing
17/08/2016 14:37:41
Posted by Jon Gibbs on 17/08/2016 13:57:44:

Sends you bozz-eyed just looking at them, let alone trying to follow 'em!

...and all to save a page or two of paper - surely not worth it?!

Jon

Especially annoying when the pretty rendered pictures have a whole sheet to themselves.

Thread: Speed controller Very slow!
13/08/2016 10:58:13

Doesn't a Powerfile already have a speed controller?

I'm sure my some-made-up-brand copy does. It's not something I use very much, mainly for weld prep and finishing in tight spaces like door-shuts.

Thread: Dickinson tool holder by Malcolm High
10/08/2016 17:15:56

Ron, I liked the idea, but as part of a tidy up wanted something NOW:

rack.jpg

and a close up:

rackparts.jpg

It's a 700mm length of 25x3 steel left over from another job, and 10 pieces of 25x1 cut 75mm long, with a guessed at 30degree bend 25mm from the end. They are welded 25mm apart, and the whole lot is screwed to the cupboard door next to the lathe.

I don't believe in making things complicated, so the only measurement was the first 75mm hanger; everything else was marked out using it, or its width which explains the 25mm spacing.

There's probably 30minutes work in it, all done with handtools and it owes me about £5. A little grinding and a coat of paint would pretty it up, but I'm calling it finished.

Edited By Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 10/08/2016 17:16:42

Thread: Risk Assessment
08/08/2016 19:14:05
Posted by Martin Kyte on 08/08/2016 10:54:46:

My definitions.

Risk Management: Look before you leap.

Risk assessment: Some kind of documentation to prove you have looked.

I think you have those definitions back to front.

RAs are a common part of everyday life; it can be as simple as looking both ways before stepping off a curb, checking the temperature of the bath water before you get in, or ensuring that the cat isn't asleep on the top stair when you go for a piss at 03:00. Or at work: ensuring that the object you're about to pick up and carry across to the bench is manageable, secure and that the route is clear; checking that the scaffold you're expected to work on 5 storeys up is secure and properly built; or that you have the necessary PPE to use the chemicals that the job requires. A good RA ought to be a deliberate application of common sense and experience.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
16/07/2016 21:57:01
Posted by V8Eng on 16/07/2016 21:38:00:

The Challenge 25 thing has always puzzled me, after all it is legal to purchase alcohol from 18.

It's so retailers can prove they are taking the age restrictions seriously, and not making alcohol readily available to 15year olds

Thread: Mini Lathe Fuse
01/07/2016 16:03:29

Believe they're slow blow, but I sold my mini-lathe two years ago. I did buy a packet of the fuses over from Maplins for about £2

Thread: Model engineering not so expensive a hobby!
18/06/2016 22:27:41

There's no such thing as a cheap hobby! At least our equipment is useful for other things; try fixing a broken saucepan handle with a set of golf batssmiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate