By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Wheeler

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Wheeler has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Amazing! Too Good to be True?
20/07/2022 09:39:14
Posted by Circlip on 20/07/2022 09:20:14:

Carbon string leads were the first in line to replace with copper when engine miss fires occurred. All the new gizmoes, coil packs and coil on leads are for one thing....... KERCHING.

An electronically fired coil pack(whether it's one per engine or plug) is a massive improvement over the 'it just about sort of works' distributor. Anyone who has fitted a mapped, distributorless ignition to an older engine will know the benefits of better starting/running/drivability/economy/emissions and reliability.

Thread: Brand Names
17/07/2022 11:56:07

My Dad says that when he worked for Foster Clarks, their own internal quality control was stricter than all of the big-name contracts, simply because they got to decide how the money got spent and where the profit came from.

Most of us are only casual buyers - a new car every few years, or one lathe per lifetime - so our experience and advice arising from it is largely subjective and anecdotal. And that's without personal dogma, like not buying Chinese or I'll never own a Ford, which ought to be instantly discounted but rarely is.

Thread: Accordion renovation
17/07/2022 11:44:20

Are you a restorer that has to put things back to how it was no matter how bad the original design, or can you change things? Replacing the aluminium channels with plastic would be an example.

We see this counter productive idea a lot with church bells, where we're frequently forced to patch up old and worn out wooden frames or fittings simply because they're old, rather than replace them with modern parts that would render the bells good for another 150years without any extra work.

Thread: Brand Names
16/07/2022 17:58:09
Posted by Howard Lewis on 16/07/2022 11:13:20:

The Ford Corsair was powered by a V4 engine designed and probably made by the German Ford subsidiary, Taunus..

VERY difficult to tell the wood from the trees, let alone what breed of timber

The Corsair was powered by a V4 version of Ford UK's Essex engine.

Ford Germany simultaneously produced similar capacity V4 and V6 Cologne engines that share only the basic design ideas, but have no interchangeable components.

Thread: Myford ml7 toolpost bolts
14/07/2022 19:02:33

I'm with Clive: eight new whitworth screws are about £2 and a couple of minutes at any industrial supplier - as long as you know what to ask for! Making square headed ones just to avoid occasionally having to clean the key holes is pure masochism.

Thread: Oils/grease for mini lathe
14/07/2022 08:31:27
Posted by noel shelley on 13/07/2022 22:40:12:

For oils a SAE 10 , or ISO 32 hydraulic oil will do what want, supply ? Any hydraulic firm, 1L will last a long time, or a good motor factor. Good Luck, Noel.

I use Dextron 3 automatic transmission fluid on my lathe and mill as I had about 3litres left from topping up the transmission of a car I no longer own. Current use suggests I've about ten years supply....

The truth is that any thin oil will be good enough for the job, especially if you use it frequently.

Thread: online upgrades: Is it broken, a disabled feature, or customer gouging
14/07/2022 08:26:01

It's just the electronic equivalent of fitting one wiring loom for all the cars, but not the equipment - I fitted factory front foglights and auto dipping rear view mirror to my 1992 BMW 525 by removing the blanking covers and plugging them into the wiring behind. My 1979 Chrysler Sunbeam was the same; cigarette lighter, clock, panel dimmer and foglights were all easy additions.

The German manufacturers would charge you for the air the car ingests driving off the delivery transporter if they thought they could get away with it.

12/07/2022 12:26:46

If replacing the screws, I'd go for flush fitting grub screws so they don't stick up. That's something I've been meaning to do to all of my QC holders for some time. Picking grot out of the internal hexes when I loosen them every few years doesn't matter, whereas they do collect swarf every time they're used.

Thread: Topslide question
11/07/2022 19:14:54
Posted by old mart on 11/07/2022 15:36:21:

The only reason other than vanity for a homeshop lathe to have a QCTP is if you are using hss tooling. Every time it is sharpened, it gets a little lower and the adjustable height is then useful.

the other side of that is the QCTP and the 14 tool holders are the best value tooling I've bought for use on and around the mill and lathe. My opinion is that a QCTP should be high up the list of necessities for anyone who intends to actually use the machine.

11/07/2022 19:10:44

Why not measure them so you can source them locally and cheaply?

All it takes is a caliper - which you'll need to use the machine - and a thread gauge.

Thread: NEW LOOK COVER FOR MEW
08/07/2022 12:36:38
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 08/07/2022 11:16:50:
Posted by Vic on 07/07/2022 19:44:08:

Get rid of the chainsaw rubbish at the top would be my suggestion.

Serious question - why?

Serious answer - because it is just more clutter for the eye to not focus on.

Replace it with the "The magazine for....." strapline.

The issue number doesn't need to be repeated with the month.

Lose the website address, anyone likely to use it will already have the mag in their hands.

The "Shows are back" headline is enough by itself.

Similarly, "Win an English wheel"

The list at the bottom should be more concise; "Laurie's lockdown project", "Stan Bray's classic optical punch", "Converting a CNC mill to manual???"

The photo is an excellent example of what not to use as it's hugely cluttered but also has loads of wasted space and it's hard to see what the central machine is with all the overlapping items.

Thread: Tap and die trouble
06/07/2022 18:03:05

When cutting a thread, the stock needs to be smaller than the nominal diameter. As an example, the M5screws I've just made were turned down to about 4.9mm before I even considered getting the die out of the box.

3/8" is about 9.5mm, so your stock is about 1mm too large.

Thread: Levelling an ml7
06/07/2022 17:55:37

The procedure is misnamed, as the lathe doesn't need to be level to turn accurately.

But to adjust it efficiently an easily acheivable(and easily repeatable) baseline is needed. And that's all you're doing with the most precise level you have.

As a beginner, fitting a hobby machine to its stand, or the bench it will live on, and just using it without stressing about the level has a lot to recommend it. There are more useful things for you to expend your efforts on.

My WM250 isn't even bolted to the bench, as I need to get in the cupboard next to the headstock and swing the bed away from the mill table when using that.

Thread: NEW LOOK COVER FOR MEW
06/07/2022 09:41:08

It's a mess:

too many horizontal lines breaking up the page.

that's made even worse by the captions and pictures that aren't horizontal

far too many extra words in tiny fonts that repeat the captions

what is the picture supposed to show? It looks like I took it, and my photography is almost as bad as my singing

english wheels are great machines, but why is he wearing one as a cod piece?

Thread: Phosphoric Acid experiment
05/07/2022 09:16:15
Posted by DMB on 05/07/2022 08:19:41:

In praise of Coca-Cola Original; not fit to drink because of high sugar, but a super bog cleaner! Due to Phosphoric acid content. A used toilet cleaner bottle with a bent neck design, re-filled with Coke, ideal for under rim cleaning. And a large bottle works out cheap. Try it sometime!

Considering just how little Phosphoric acid is in Coke, I doubt it's cheap compared to just buying the acid.

Thread: Myford M - a few random questions
03/07/2022 11:19:33

I'm about to make 2 left and one right of these from 10x20 steel and 1/8" bits:

tangential tool holder v1.jpg

Thread: Flared Pipe Connections?
01/07/2022 08:25:26
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 01/07/2022 08:14:44:

Two points:

Check the cone angle of any fitting. There are at least two standards 37degree (aerospace and industrial) and 45 degrees (automotive). Your Parkside tool is probably 45 degree

Most aerospace flared tube fittings use a support sleeve between nut and tube. This stops the breakage hopper described.

Most aerospace tubing will be aluminium and uses a single flare. Car brake pipes are steel until you need to replace them. Then you'll be using 3/16" kunifer - 4.75mm - and mostly double flares

Thread: Free Fusion360 subs ended
26/06/2022 00:11:32
Posted by Rex Hanman on 25/06/2022 22:38:54:
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 25/06/2022 16:44:36:
Posted by Bazyle on 25/06/2022 16:35:51:

Can you have several computers under the same free subscription and get the advantage of cloud storage to access from either? I am using freeCAD but have to move files from PC to laptop to PC which is a bit of a faf.

The Fusion subscription is for your account, not the computer you use the program on. So you can download the program to as many computers as you use.

Correct, but you can only access from one device at a time.

Oh no.

Just out of interest, how many devices can you use simultaneously?

25/06/2022 16:44:36
Posted by Bazyle on 25/06/2022 16:35:51:

Can you have several computers under the same free subscription and get the advantage of cloud storage to access from either? I am using freeCAD but have to move files from PC to laptop to PC which is a bit of a faf.

The Fusion subscription is for your account, not the computer you use the program on. So you can download the program to as many computers as you use.

Thread: I may be stupid but
24/06/2022 08:54:46
Posted by James Alford on 24/06/2022 07:44:20:

My grandad, who was a professional engineer working from the 1920s onwards, used to drum into me the need to use all three key holes on a chuck. Why, I never knew, but presumably it was established practice at one time.

Mine said the same. It does seem to make the chuck grip a drill better.

So I tighten all three jaws on the lathe chuck when I think the part would benefit from more security - like roughing out a fresh piece of stock. I don't do it on fragile, already machined parts.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate