By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for thaiguzzi

Here is a list of all the postings thaiguzzi has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Direct morse taper collets
18/04/2020 17:18:23

I use 3C collets in the lathe and T&CG.

I use direct 2MT finger collets in the lathe and mill and T&CG and rotab.

I use a 2MT collet chuck (up to 5/8' shank = up to 3/4" end mills) in the lathe and mill.

I use 3MT finger collets in the lathe (up to 3/4" ID).

No ER collets were harmed in the making of this comment...

Thread: Selecting an Engineer's level
17/04/2020 16:27:56
Posted by peak4 on 17/04/2020 00:06:18:

If you still decide to purchase one, good brand name ones are often available on ebay for less than £30; e.g. Starrett, M&W, Rabone etc.

Bill

THIS!

+1.

Even 50 quid for something nice and beautifully made is surely better than paying double for something that looks a bit kack with no brand name or engineering history.

Thread: Direct morse taper collets
17/04/2020 16:20:51
Posted by Derek Greenhalgh on 17/04/2020 12:33:09:

After doing a search for some info on using morse taper collets instead of ER, 5c etc. nothing turned up.

when i bought my milling machine i was given a boxed collet chuck set as discount, Its an M3 chuck with M12 thread for the draw bar and has 8 collets in the set but no other collets available for the set to buy apart. I think the biggest collet is 14mm.

As I have a lathe as well as the mill I can use it there too using a M4-M3 reduction but I'm still limited to size of material I can use due to collet size.

Looking round for something a bit bigger like ER32 or ER40 i came across the direct morse taper collets that would greatly help with the limited hight available on a small benchtop mill.

Does anyone use them?, pros & cons? what is the largest collet size for Mt3? On ARC the biggest is 18mm is this the upper limit?

I'm debating weather or not to go for them over a Er32 or Er40 collet chuck set and maybe a bolt on chuck for my lathe, I think the er40 would give me a far greater material range but I lose a lot of hight. Thoughts appreciated. thanks

Derek

The MT3 collet chuck with 8 collets is SOP for a mill.

Its not the same as for a lathe where the collet holds material.

On a mill the collet purely holds the cutting tool, ie end mill, slot drill whatever.

You have 4 common metric and 4 common imperial sizes for the most common shank sizes.

Don't over think things. Use what you have, its all good.

Thread: Finish Good then Bad cl300
17/04/2020 16:11:28

HSS needs less power to cut than carbide on our moderately powered machines.

Just look at a sharp HSS tool as opposed to your average radius replaceable tipped carbide tool.

Moving onto 7.5hp Monarchs, all bets are off.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
17/04/2020 16:03:12
Posted by John MC on 14/04/2020 16:42:47:

Nigel B.

I had forgotten about the Himalayan, bit of a disaster that one and a good example of an overweight motorcycle, I stand corrected.

I'm told there is a European company making big bore conversions for the twin (and Himalayan), RE are sure to know about. Still think 650 to 850 is a step to far.

The "problem" if it can be called that, with the early Hinckley Triumphs was that the engines were designed by guys whose experience was with car engines. They did not realise just how compact a motorcycle engine is and it showed. They soon realised and set about correcting along with the mechanical noise problem. The overbuilt reputation was probably nurtured to cover this up.

On the subject of weight saving and the new unitised RE Bullet engine. The RE stylists decided to take their styling Cues from an existing popular brand of motorcycle. In doing this the cylinder head gained some 1.5kg in weight just to make it look like they wanted. Other parts suffered the same. Attempts were made to dissuade them from doing this. Unsuccessfully as it turns out.

John

The Himalayan has been a huge (read HUGE) sales success for RE. Worldwide. Especially in Australia, and of all places, America.

Yes it is 40 kgs heavier than a CRF250L, but they are really different genres. Its become a bit of a cult RTW long distance travel bike. See Noraly's (YT Itchy Boots) first bike took her 35k kms RTW..

The big bore kit for the twins (860cc) is American.

The big bore kit for the Himalayan (411 to 462cc) is British, by Hitchcocks.

17/04/2020 15:57:06
Posted by John MC on 16/04/2020 16:27:51:

Apples and oranges, really? Just because the Re is a mid-range motorcycle of relatively modest performance doesn't mean its OK to ignore weight. The RE is over weight, not massively so, a bit like me really, could do with losing a bit! I really hope that RE refine the design, get a good few kilo's off it but leave the engines performance alone, that would be a nice motorcycle.

John

Pricing.

You cannot compare 675/765 Speed Triples to a RE retro Interceptor built down to a price.

The reason they are selling is because they are a half decent product and are CHEAP.

Apples And Oranges.

16/04/2020 10:12:57
Posted by John MC on 15/04/2020 16:51:14:

As for acceptable weight, a good bench mark I believe is the Meriden Triumph T140 (750) ~50bhp, 194Kg with some fluids. Series 2 (British) Interceptor slightly lighter. No balance shaft, electric start and other modern features. Technology moves on and it would be reasonable to expect a modern 50bhp bike to weigh very similar.

So the RE at 208 kg kerbside with E/S, balance shaft, fuel injection, catalytic converters , ABS , meeting much stricter regulatory requirements & built to a very keen price is only 14kg heavier than your optimum ? Doesn't seem enough to qualify as very overweight ?

Triumph street triple, 675cc, double the power of the above, plenty of modern features, 175Kg ready to ride.

Not on my radar, I'm afraid. Too revvy & typically "modern" lack of style and practicality for me. It's competition Yamaha 900 triple likewise - more power than I feel I need coupled to a "sod what it looks like, it's all about the (dry weather) ride" approach to styling & functionality. I reckoned for a long time that I would cheerfully sacrifice 20hp I could not use on the road for 20mpg better economy - my last 3 modern middleweights (Moto Guzzi Breva 750, Honda NC750S & the RE) have done that just fine.

If Triumph can build a 675cc 100+bhp bike that meets all the regulatory requirements and has all the features motorcyclist demand in a modern motorcycle that weighs 33Kg ( 72lbs) less then the RE is somewhat overweight. KTM Duke similar spec to the Triumph also reinforces my point. Even an MT-09 Yamaha is lighter.

And the BMW's S1000 makes 4 time the power of the RE and is a few Kg lighter.

You may well think they are "revvy" engines, yes they are but thanks to electronics they also have good bottom and mid-range "grunt".

If the RE could shed 25 - 30Kg then it would be an excellent motorcycle.

If it wasn't for C-19 crisis one of the above would be in my garage now , had a test ride booked on a KTM the day after the lock down restrictions were imposed on us. Also considering a 1960's Norton, soon as we can travel I'm going to have a look.

John

Apples and Oranges.

15/04/2020 11:06:51
Posted by Hopper on 13/04/2020 11:35:38:

I get 20,000 miles out of an X-ring chain and sprockets on my 105hp Honda VFR800. I'm pretty happy with that. And it almost never needs adjusting after bed-in.

The rubber belt drive on my Harley seems to last forever but only about 70 ponies going through that.

But RE could have put the primary chain on the left and the rear chain on the right so the more shapely engine cam timing cover was on the right in the conventional manner. Plenty of bikes do that including Harley Sportster from 1957 to present and the old 1942 WLA military Harley too.

Edited By Hopper on 13/04/2020 11:39:54

Thank you. I rest my case.

Also the Hinkley Triumph twins (air and water cooled) would look downright ridiculous with their covers swapped over, and they manage modern gearbox/clutch/final drive design, but still have a vague look/lineage back to the first of the twins from 1936.

Its a shame that virtually all modern parallel twins have gone for this 270 degree crank fashion, basically making the motor feel and sound like a 90 degree v twin...

... except.... IMHO, the most authentic of all the current retros...

the Kawasaki W800.

Long stroke crank. Check, Triumph, RE short stroke

360 degree crank. Check. Triumph RE 270.

Screw and locknut valve clearances, no bucket under shims. Check.

No OHC chain or DOHC chain. Check - bevel drive!

Covid 19 has brought this thread alive!

Some great posts in the last 3 pages and i concur with most.

Stay safe, stay healthy out there.

11/04/2020 16:29:11
Posted by mgnbuk on 11/04/2020 11:09:02:

Motorycling - Easter 2020 style

Nice sunny Good Friday, so out with the bike !

Remove security & dust cover - move bike to drive.

Wash down to remove storage dust that the cover didn't totally keep off.

Chamy dry.

Apply AutoGlym Enhanced Gloss Protection to all painted sufaces - wait as instructed, then buff off.

Polish all chrome & polished alloy bits with Meguires NXT metal polish.

Clean all black plastic bits with AutoGlym Black Trim cleaner.

After 7 hours of hard cleaning & polishing, admire bike before returning to garage, replace security & dust cover.

Go back in to house & sulk !

100420201214.jpg

Much as i sorta dig the new Enfield twins, i have never understood why the engineers designed this motor 180 degrees out.

It would have been easy, and so much easier on the eye to reverse the motor details on the bottom end.

So to have the "timing" and "primary" covers on the right and historically correct side.

IMO it just looks so wrong.

Anybody not familiar with what i'm on about just has to look at any Brit parallel twin, but especially the original Royal Enfield Meteors, Constellations and Interceptors. Marvelous engines visually.

Thanx, i rest my case.

11/04/2020 16:23:25
Posted by Gerard O'Toole on 11/04/2020 12:45:53:

Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of the Lucas advance retard units fitted to coil ignition motorcycles in the 60's?

My unit, on a 1064 AJS needs a lot of repair. I cannot see a replacement for the AJS but I see units advertised as for BSA/Triumph etc. I wonder if the unit was a generic Lucas unit fitted to many bikes or of they are all slightly different?. Photos do show unit similar to mine but no dimensions are given

thanks

Try and upgrade to the later 6CA type, much much more reliable, otherwise convert to a generic electronic ignition.

If you insist on repairing the early points/AA ignitions, be aware some twins ran anti clock and others clockwise.

Thread: Which Lathe???
08/04/2020 16:33:04

Re weight.

You only move once. Or twice.
Its not like you are moving on a weekly or monthly basis.

Concur with the above, the Chipmaster is a wonderful lathe, and again not much bigger a footprint than a Super 7.

07/04/2020 11:05:59

If you are happy to spend 3k i'd be looking at nice, fully tooled Colchester Students, Bantams, Harrison L series or M 250/300 series.

The above are not much bigger a footprint than a Myford and are 10 times the lathe, nay scrub that, 50 times the lathe.

If you put in the search function on Ebay or an ad on Tony's Lathes site, a nice fully tooled A series Boxford can be had for 1500 quid.

They are out there, you've just got to find them.

I'd want my head examining paying 3k for a Super 7, when a generic Chinese 12/24 - 12/36 can be had fully tooled for a grand less.Most of these 6" CH Chinese lathes are copies of the Harrison M series. Camlock spindles, induction hardened beds etc etc etc.

06/04/2020 10:20:08
Posted by Paul Smith 37 on 05/04/2020 22:31:35:

Im looking into the Boxford box lathes, they maybe very efficient in what they do, which is of course the primary goal, but lack the charisma of a myford super 7 style lathe. Or Is it me just being a tart?

Yes, you are just being a tart.

Now where did i put those fishnets and stilletos?

Regards,

A happy Boxford camper.

05/04/2020 17:08:26
Posted by Journeyman on 05/04/2020 14:07:54:

See *** Journeyman's Workshop *** for my views on choosing machinery!

John

Well put together website. Well done.

Thread: clarkson autolock 3mt
05/04/2020 17:02:50

Yes external 40int, internal 3 MT adaptors.

I have a 30int external to 2 MT internal adaptor for the M1.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
05/04/2020 17:00:40
Posted by John MC on 05/04/2020 16:44:09:

Magnesium and Aluminium look similar and melt at about the same temperature (650C vs 660C). The easiest way to tell them apart is to measure their density; Magnesium at 2.7g per cc is heavier than Aluminium at 1.7g per cc.

You have that the wrong way around, Mg is lighter than Al.

John

Concur.

Unbelievably lighter.

Thread: Boring tool
02/04/2020 10:38:22

Isn't there something similar available from Hemingway Kits?

Thread: Box-Ford travelling steady
31/03/2020 16:25:22

1969 VSL here - 3/8 BSW.

Thread: Is this guy nuts, or sensible.
29/03/2020 10:46:16

Reminded me to finally subscribe to his channel. Along with the other 9 odd million.

And its had nearly 9 million views in 3 days.

And 18,000 comments.

That is serious You Tube money and fame.

IMHO, the guy deserves every penny and every round of applause.

He's a grown up kid with a child's attitude to the world, very clever, and a lot of us would like to be him.

Thread: shopmade tool cutter grinder attachment
28/03/2020 09:38:26

Like button pressed...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate