By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for thaiguzzi

Here is a list of all the postings thaiguzzi has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
08/11/2018 07:45:55
Posted by Circlip on 05/11/2018 10:14:02:

Nigel, Triumph 5T adaptors, Is the head normally threaded or did that have to be done too? Venom Clubman has a pushed in spigot (REALLY bad idea).

Regards Ian.

I'll answer that for you, as Nigel has'nt yet.

All Triumph twin alloy c/heads with a stub, ie push over exhausts, were threaded into the head. Stopped in 71 with the advent of the retrograde step of push in exhausts.

Nice little earner back in the day for me, converting push in heads to push over heads. All done on a Colchester Student with the tool post removed, a jig bolted to the top slide and drilled and tapped from the headstock.

Must of done nearly a hundred heads....

Thread: Total Noob
07/11/2018 05:02:06

Please do not swear on this forum, it is rude. Words like "woodworking" should be refrained from being used.

Thank you.

Welcome.

Thread: Neil's Irrelevant Press Release Thread
07/11/2018 04:57:37
Posted by Mike Poole on 06/11/2018 19:04:58:

**LINK**

SRV manages to get at least a few off the list in the first couple of minutes of this clip, doesn’t seem to have an adverse effect on his guitar playing though.

Mike

17 mil views. For a sound check. That is how great SRV was.

Thread: An alternative to parting-off
03/11/2018 04:12:53

He's joshin'. Havin' a laugh........

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
01/11/2018 03:02:42
Posted by Mark Rand on 01/11/2018 01:50:32:

Which shaper is that?

Oddly enough, on my 10" Royal shaper there is less guarding, but there is a round knob/handle to turn the mechanism for positioning the ram. That's far safer than a cranked handle, even it it's removable! blush.

Looks like a Boxford to me.

The removable cranked handle should do the cross feed and the vise too. Another sq key tool and that's it on a Boxford for EVERY adjustment.

01/11/2018 02:59:42
Posted by Trevor Crossman 1 on 31/10/2018 22:14:44:

I did this today...………………………….shaper 1.jpg

but before doing that, I should have done this...……………………..

shaper 2.jpg

My concentration was centered on the cutter but as soon as the machine ran I noticed the vibration and hit the red button and immediately gave myself a good earful of abuse and considered myself lucky that I didn't get injured by the handle flinging itself into me nor damaged anything in the shop !embarrassedembarrassed. Just might fit an extra safety micro-switch to be tripped when the handle is fitted.

Trevor.

You are not the first and you will not be the last.

Join the club.

Though it's nowhere near as bad as the old "leave a lathe chuck key in the chuck" chestnut.........

Thread: Boxford Model A stopping on slow speeds...?
31/10/2018 05:23:08

Yes, pull them all out, measure them and replace with proper ball oilers as per original spec. Not expensive. RDG do imperial ones, Arc do metric ones. Generally either 1/4" or 6mm.

24/10/2018 09:48:11
Posted by JasonB on 24/10/2018 07:03:25:

I think it is just as well that the chuck stopped, You are not holding onto very much metal for a parting cut so part will more than likely get pulled out of the chuck.

Just noticed that. Jason is correct, that will pop out once the parting off tool actually started cutting. Dangerous.

I'd say the pulley inside the headstock has grease or such like on it from the back gear assy and the belt is just slipping on the pulley and hence no drive once you start machining.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
20/10/2018 06:25:01

Windy,

re the above post - "like" button pressed.

The Schkoda is hilarious.

Nice one!

Thread: Drilling Bronze?
18/10/2018 14:45:57
Posted by Nigel McBurney 1 on 18/10/2018 13:17:00:

phosphor bronze is the worst type of bronze to drill, to stop the drill binding when roughing out, grind the drill with the point offset so that it produces a slightly over size hole

Concur.

Can be horrible. But i also machine it dry.

Thread: Turning a tapered carburator needle
17/10/2018 04:55:13

Contact Amal Carburettors. They also own SU, Zenith, solex, amongst others. Part of the Burlen Fuel Group.

They also make one-off stuff. Their equipment is bang up to date and their products are better than ever in quality.

They will have the tooling to make 3" needles.

Thread: Parting off - again, sorry
16/10/2018 15:04:50
Posted by Philip Powell on 14/10/2018 12:47:02:

That's just asking for trouble sticking the bar that far out of the chuck then parting off.

Phil

Edit typo.

Edited By Philip Powell on 14/10/2018 12:48:09

Concur. Insane.

Thread: Quick change toolpost
15/10/2018 07:02:08

Guidelines to follow;

Always part off as close to the chuck as possible.

A 4 jaw is better than a 3 jaw for work holding if possible.

If using a QCTP, move the topslide in the direction of the tailstock, so the actual parting tool is over the cross slide.

Lock everything down that does not need to move.

Edit;

i have made 19 Dickson type tool holders for my Bison toolpost, inc 2 parting off tool holders, all for my Boxford.

They all work, and they all do not move.

Edited By thaiguzzi on 15/10/2018 07:04:29

Thread: Lathe or Mill?
04/10/2018 15:28:05

shaper...smile d

Thread: Rocol RTD shelf life
30/09/2018 07:14:53

Concur.

The paste & the thick liquid does not go off.

My paste is still late 20th century...

Thread: Boxford Model A backlash
30/09/2018 07:12:19
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 29/09/2018 14:52:03:

On my ME10, the dials are friction loaded. Under the grub-screw is a small spring and a brass disc pressing on the shaft.The friction pressure is controlled by adjusting the grub-screw,(hope my memory is correct).

Sounds as if your grub-screws are over-tight. Try slackening them. It's also possible that your springs and pads are missing.

Hope that helps,

Clive

Wot he said.

Me being the weirdo that i am, i went backwards and fitted brass knurled screws which i prefer and know that nothing has moved.

Thread: Ryobi 'String Trimmer/BrushCutter'
28/09/2018 15:53:27

9 times out of 10 will be the clutch. Like a pr of brake shoes. Less than a tenner out here for a quality set.

Thread: Boxford Model A backlash
27/09/2018 15:56:01
Posted by JP Santos on 26/09/2018 10:28:38:

Thank you
That's my 68 Shovelhead - also known as Genny shovel or Panshovel - built between 66 and 69 they had Panhead bottom ends and Shovelhead top ends

Yeah i know, very very nice.

26/09/2018 10:10:14
Posted by Bazyle on 23/09/2018 21:26:08:

Part 3 but on other topics a Boxford owner needs to know.

The screw in the middle of the star wheel that engages the feed clutch is******* left hand thread********.

The grubscrew on the right of the apron that holds the halfnut engagement lever in place has another gubscrew deep down the hole,

The backgear lever on the front has a brass slipper running in a groove in the bull wheel. Check this isn't worn as the pin it pivots on will score the groove. Oil the groove even if not using backgear.

The clutch is not there to let you walk away and let the saddle thump the saddle stop which will move if you do. You adjust it to just not slip and keep your hand on the feedwheel letting it run through your fingers. As you come close to the stop you grip the wheel and slow the saddle slipping the clutch so it gently touches the stop.

Don't use grease or motorbike chain oil on changewheels as it holds dust and swarf. Use normal thin oil and use it occasionally to wash off the crud. Ditto in the apron, QCGB and leadscrews. Way oil for the ways. The apron probably leaks so put a dish under it.
Space changewheels with a piece of paper between the teeth to minimise noise.

I was going to reply, but Bazyle has said everything and more perfectly. +1. Keep the grease for your Harleys, it has no place on or near a lathe. Nice Shovel in the background by the way....

Thread: Vertex BS-0 dividing head ?
26/09/2018 09:54:46

As others have noted above, Vertex is a proud brand name going back to the 70's, that made and still does make, quality machine tooling & accessories. In Taiwan and not mainland China. I have never ever seen a crap product with the Vertex name on it. And some of it is outstanding value for money. My 6" HV Rotab with the tailstock & dividing plate kit as accessories, has done a helluva lot of work in the last 25 odd years of ownership.

Highly recommended.

Edited By thaiguzzi on 26/09/2018 09:57:52

Edited By thaiguzzi on 26/09/2018 09:58:18

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate