By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for OuBallie

Here is a list of all the postings OuBallie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Setting up a Warco BH600G
19/03/2022 15:06:47

Howard,

Thanks.

Missed spending time in the Workshop the last two years🤬

Don't hesitate making that clutch as it transforms the lathe whether it’s single or three phase.

When I had my Emco I got really peed off having to switch off frequently for whatever reason, particularly when making numerous small parts or measuring, but now an absolute pleasure.

I love the ‘Jog’ feature especially when using taps & dies in the Tailstock as well as screwcutting.

Geoff - Feels good to be back on the Forum

18/03/2022 09:08:42

Hopper,

It makes my first lathe an Emco Maximat V10P look a little puny, BUT I do miss it’s power feed clutch and saddle/carriage stop working together, and nothing much else to my surprise though apart from the big choice of accessories.

Workshop still too cold to for comfort as I’m NOT heating it for the first time, for obvious reasons🤬

Geoff - Morning coffee to wake me up.

18/03/2022 08:19:21

Michael,

Go to Grizzly.com and download ‘MODEL G9249 12" X 37" BELT DRIVE GAP BED LATHE OWNER'S Manual’, the very best available!

My modifications:

A few more done since, but no photos added yet due to health issues unfortunately!

My Albums headed BH600G & Warco BH600G for more on the lathe.

Clutch and VFD without a doubt two at the very top of the mods done.

Warco BH600G

Warco BH600G Lathe

Warco BH600G Lathe

Geoff - Frustration doesn’t adequately describe how I feel!

Thread: Internal threading
12/02/2022 16:59:47

John,
Perfect thanks.

Geoff

09/02/2022 12:51:54

Thanks.

08/02/2022 07:52:32

Hello all,

Back into Workshop at last.

Ref: Joe Piezynski youtube video showing internal threading away from Headstock.

Anyone know where to buy a similar tool please, as I need to thread a number of parts from an internal shoulder.

I could of course use the VFD Jog feature, but have never done internal threading like this before.

Any advise appreciated.

Regards,

Geoff

Thread: Mystery DTI
03/07/2021 18:16:05

Wow!
Didn't expect my post to spring back to life with all the info I needed👍👏

Michael,

Thanks for posting that link & attached diagram.

A stat of interest 70°-90° of hand usage depends on the thumb!

Geoff - I agree wholeheartedly with that statistic with my left one out of action for some time as it heals

Thread: dirty clutch trick
01/07/2021 16:37:08

Hello Howard,

No progress on the Seven unfortunately due to health and a contra temp with front door.
Was just about to get back onto the Austin, when on the 14 June I amputated the tip of my left thumb, removing a bit of bone and tearing the nail off when I stuck it in the hinge side of the door jam and then tried to close it.
Plastic surgery took place on the 17th, resulting in me now having half the length of nail once it grows back.

Geoff - Stupidity knows no bounds!

30/06/2021 12:16:54

Ray MacMahon device in action on my BH600G:

Warco BH600G Clutch
The lever was my ‘design’.

Geoff - Play halted due to my stupidity.

Edited By OuBallie on 30/06/2021 12:18:10

Edited By OuBallie on 30/06/2021 12:19:06

Thread: Filing machine uses?
21/06/2021 16:48:14

Thanks Michael 👍

Forgot to add the finished items ready to be welded to handles.

Excel Filing Machine

Geoff - To say “Play has been abandoned” is an understatement.

21/06/2021 16:00:17

Used mine to make the handcranks for the Boxford shaper.

Excel Filing Machine

Excel Filing Machine

Been some time since my last post, all due to work on the Austin Seven and lately health.

Geoff - Last week amputated the tip of my left thumb, nail as well in hinge side of main door jam‼️🤬🤬🤬

Edited By OuBallie on 21/06/2021 16:02:30

Thread: Knurling tool operation
25/01/2021 13:34:22

Simon,

Made mine to the drawing but then wasn’t at proper height, hence having to fit the tool post mount lower, or a woopsie, but I no longer remember🤗

Geoff.

Thread: Namibian Dust Storms
10/08/2020 17:53:56

Hello Joe,

Spent an afternoon in Swakopmund mid ‘60s when the frigates SAS Kruger, I was serving aboard, and SAS Steyn docked in Walvis Bay waiting for newly commissioned SAS Pretorius to arrive from UK, both frigates to meet up with her further up north

We weren’t expecting much after the drive there through the desert to your town, BUT what a pleasant surprise it turned out to be, cool with palm trees if memory serves, and realised why it was THE holiday resort that it was then.

No doubt built up somewhat since then.

The only other thing I remember was sand as far as the eye could see, apart from the sea.

Geoff - Couldn’t take the heat now, and uncomfortable with 30° now.

Thread: A unlucky accident
22/11/2019 18:47:11

My best wishes to friend and family.

I carry my phone with me wherever I go now, after my Blues & Twos to hospital end July for an emergency heart  artery balloon insertion, hence my absence since. 

Geoff - Fully recovered from the VF arrest during, something I will NEVER forget!

Edited By OuBallie on 22/11/2019 18:51:17

Thread: Knurling tool operation
22/11/2019 18:32:06

Nick,

Experiment on a scrap piece first as you may need to adjust my method.

My technique using Hemingway kit I made is as follows, with lathe running:

1) Wind Cross-slide forward until knurls are centred over workpiece, then turn the screw until they make light contact and just start revolving,

2) Wind Cross-slide back,

3) Give the adjusting screw 1/8-1/4 turn

4) Slowly move Cross-slide forward forcing the knurls onto the work until centred, then another 1/4-1/2 turn

I find that this method ensured the knurls are in sync and produce perfect knurls as evident:

Hemingway Knurling Kit
Hemingway Knurling Kit

Geoff - Recovered from the Stent procedure, and complications, I had end July

Thread: John Stevenson
25/10/2019 22:53:08

I think of him every time I read back issues of ME I got from him and when turning the Y-axis handle on the Marlow.

Geoff - Walking 1.5 miles with ease with double soon.

Thread: I’m done with big pharma‼️
09/10/2019 17:44:24

Update.
Had a good chat with family doctor a few weeks ago and am now back on hospital tablets.
Started taking one at a time, waiting a week before the next to let body acclimatise, the last tablet tonight.
Feeling well enough to do a fairly brisk easy 2km walk nearly each day now, and feeling good afterwards, something I haven’t been able to do beforehand without taking it easy.

Was thinking of fitting a servo motor to the Singer 660A1 sewing machine, to have complete and easy speed control for leather work, having already slowed it down to the best of my ability from the speed merchant it was, but today had another look at either fitting a stop to the foot pedal or some other way to prevent the pedal travelling too far and sending the machine onto overdrive, and think I’ve nailed it.
Will experiment tomorrow.
I don’t use the machine often enough for muscle memory to help, hence a physical stop needed.

Geoff - back on the Ruby and into Workshop soon with luck

Thread: How many Hammers
28/09/2019 14:08:43

Thanks Howard,

That one on the right is reserved for a last warning before the biggie comes into play, and that one is the long handled lump hammer delivering the ultimate “You’re history” blow.

Don’t remember when I last used it though.

Geoff - Sends a message does it not 🤔

Thread: I’m done with big pharma‼️
27/09/2019 18:30:31

Brian,

Not seeking advise, just stating what’s been happening to me.

Continuing with the dispersible aspirin I’ve been on for years, but now alternate with garlic.

Geoff - Managed a 1mile walk with ease this morning.

Thread: How many Hammers
27/09/2019 18:14:28

My selection within easy reach in the Workshop.

4th from left my favourite for moderate persuasion.

Hammers within easy reach

Panel beating ones in their own toolbox with long handled lump hammer at the rear door.

Geoff - Starting to feel normal now and walking just over a mile once again.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate