Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Pipe union nuts, olives & ends.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
RRMBK01/02/2012 10:38:36
159 forum posts
18 photos
Can anyone please point me in the direction of a table of the correct dimensions for the union nuts, end fittings and pipe olives etc for the various small pipe sizes that we use e.g 1/8, up to 3/8 .
I would also be interested in any articles on the manufacture of unions, union nuts, olives etc.
I have done a search through the indices but not come up with very much. ( probably my lack of understanding of search protocol!)

Many thanks
Brian K.
Colin Abrey01/02/2012 11:01:21
17 forum posts
2 photos
Brian,

There is an article in ME 15 Feb 1985 by N (Bill) Baily. He gives tables for the dimensions of the nuts & nipples for various pipe diameters.

Colin
RRMBK03/02/2012 18:45:25
159 forum posts
18 photos
Thank you very much indeed Colin, a very interesting article and provided me with just what I needed,

Kind regards

Brian K.
David Haynes04/02/2012 10:07:28
168 forum posts
26 photos
Are similar details also to be found in one of the reference books, such as by Tubal Cain or Harold Hall? If not, I can get the M.E. from my society if necessary.
Dave

Edited By David Haynes on 04/02/2012 11:58:57

RRMBK05/02/2012 01:54:12
159 forum posts
18 photos
They are not in Tubal Cain's Mod Eng handbook ( at least not in my ancient copy!) that was my first port of call as it is such a goldmine of information, Also I have "Screw Thread manual " by F.J.Camm of 1942 with over 40 pages of thread & screw tables but it does not list anything similar. I suspect the thread system has been created by someone ( LBSC?) matching the appropriate sized M.E 40 or 32 tpi thread to the pipe / Union diameter rather than by scaling something that exists in full size.
Brian K.
Stub Mandrel05/02/2012 19:37:08
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles
Somewhere I have a 1940s ME with a table of suggested sizes of unions for various sizes of pipe. I followed them and they work OK, if a little big. I made a taper bit just for the job.

Neil
Roger Best05/02/2022 20:34:04
406 forum posts
56 photos

Did anyone find anything??

i will start a new thread.

R

Speedy Builder505/02/2022 20:45:50
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Buy a few fittings and measure them, however apart from a few specials, I usually buy the nuts and olives/ nipples.

Bob

HOWARDT05/02/2022 20:53:28
1081 forum posts
39 photos

Fitting sizes
This is on the Super Simplex site. May be useful.

John Olsen05/02/2022 21:09:18
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

Here's a tip for anyone using commercial compression fittings on copper tube, which I guess would only be on larger locos, or on a steam launch like mine. They come with the wrong sort of olive, the ones meant for nylon tube, at least the ones I have bought generally did. It turns out these will sort of work on copper tube, at least for a while, but are likely to start leaking, usually in an awkward place to see. Of course I didn't know this at first!

The ones for nylon or plastic tube have a short taper on each end and then a step up to a larger diameter in the middle. The ones for copper have a longer taper at each end that meets in the middle.

If there is information in the 1940's ME about model size fittings, I probably have the issues here. I have some wartime ones, and a pretty complete collection from 1944 until covid started.

regards

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate