Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Low profile finger clamp and plate

Low profile finger clamp and plate

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Greg Webb 122/09/2023 08:19:49
26 forum posts
2 photos
Strap clamps can get a bit high with the raised clamp knobs sometimes well above the workpiece. This system uses pivoting, sliding clamps with the clamp knob below the clamp top allowing easier access for tooling. The main body incorporates a vee + step + pivoting detent end stop for accurate part location. A separate movable arm can be locked in any position along the centre of the vee for drilling through the centre of a bar. The video shows grinding, drilling & milling operations on small parts of different shapes & in various materials. This principle can be scaled or lengthened to suit smaller, larger or multiple components.
https://youtu.be/R4yzxrJgJBE?si=91GklV8LpAkhT0wK
Diogenes22/09/2023 08:47:54
61 forum posts
6 photos

Neat piece of work..

Mike Hurley22/09/2023 10:17:38
530 forum posts
89 photos

Is this a commercial item rather than one made by you Greg ?

The video seems to be of a quality that makes me think (including the plethora of adverts).

Greg Webb 122/09/2023 10:54:26
26 forum posts
2 photos

The item was designed and made by me this week. I have no control over the adverts & have refused any monetisation from Youtube.

Mike Hurley22/09/2023 11:25:36
530 forum posts
89 photos

Nice job then Greg. Unfortunately these days I, along with many others, tend to be more and more suspicious of items being purported as one thing but actually are something else. So no offence intended.

If you design and make other similar items do post details on here as these are just the sort of thing we like to see on the forum.

All the best Mike

Greg Webb 122/09/2023 11:40:33
26 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks Mike

There are loads of unique engineering projects and tips on my Youtube channel. If you find anything useful or interesting let me know & I will share them on here or share them yourself if you want to.

https://www.youtube.com/@machinists-shortcuts/videos

Michael Gilligan23/09/2023 17:03:26
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Nice fixture, Greg yes

… and well demonstrated too

Just one naive question from me: What grinding wheel do you use?
… it appears to cope quite well with Brass

MichaelG.

Greg Webb 124/09/2023 09:48:00
26 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/09/2023 17:03:26:

Nice fixture, Greg yes

… and well demonstrated too

Just one naive question from me: What grinding wheel do you use?
… it appears to cope quite well with Brass

MichaelG.

I like to use a 46 grit for most things, especially when using the side of the wheel. I find it clogs less & cuts cooler.

46KV.

Martin Johnson 124/09/2023 16:42:04
320 forum posts
1 photos

How did you machine the profile of the clamp base?

Martin

Greg Webb 125/09/2023 08:49:55
26 forum posts
2 photos

I machined the profile on a thicker piece of mild steel on a CNC mill. The excess thickness was then removed in two halves on a manual mill using the side of an endmill with the finished face against the fixed jaw. Then it was surface ground to thickness on both sides.

Martin Johnson 125/09/2023 15:49:32
320 forum posts
1 photos

It was the return part of the "shaft" feature that had me foxed. It looks like quite a reach if you are machining that in steps.

Martin

Greg Webb 125/09/2023 16:28:05
26 forum posts
2 photos

Sorry Martin I am trying to post an image from underneath that should explain how it works but I can't. Any tips on pasting?

Grindstone Cowboy25/09/2023 16:56:50
1160 forum posts
73 photos

FAQ on posting pictures can be found here. A bit complex, but hopefully will be sorted when the new forum software arrives.

Links to https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=103028&p=1

Rob

Greg Webb 125/09/2023 17:21:18
26 forum posts
2 photos

That was a bit of a faff to sort out, hopefully the new software arrives soon.

So you can see the holes underneath for 5 - M4 cap head screws that go through the base & key then into tapped holes in the bar.

The elliptical hole is tapped for a sprung loaded ball grub screw that clicks into the vees on the stop shaft. This allows the stop shaft to rotate without losing its position as demonstrated in the video.

underside.jpg

Martin Johnson 126/09/2023 14:13:17
320 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks for taking the time to post the photo. Everything clear now! Very nice design, well executed.

Martin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate