Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Prop size

Prop size for given cc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
bernard towers22/07/2023 12:12:56
1221 forum posts
161 photos

I am presently working my way through a Humbug 1.5 glow motor but have not found any reference to prop size, anyone got any ideas or is there a table available for this sort of thing. Where are you Tug?

Howard Lewis22/07/2023 12:20:03
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Prop size and pitch will be determined by the speed and power of the engine.

A low speed engine of the same power, will run a coarser pitch prop of the same diameter, than a high speed motor.

Clive Brown 122/07/2023 12:57:24
1050 forum posts
56 photos

I wouldn't think the precise size is hugely critical, but ISTR from my aero-modelling days that a 1.5cc engine would take a prop of 7" to 8" dia and around 5" pitch. The larger diameter might give better starting dur to flywheel effect and also keep the revs down on a new engine. I don't think that you'll do any harm at around those sizes.

DiogenesII22/07/2023 13:08:42
859 forum posts
268 photos

When I built my Boll 1.8 ci, I used a (-actually, I'll have to check - oops), I think it would be a fairly 'safe' place to start for initial set-up with the Humbug - but happily defer to those with greater experience, I'm a rank beginner.

I think at least it would give you a sense of 'what it wants'

Edit - just seen Clive's post - better advice, maybe..

Edited By DiogenesII on 22/07/2023 13:10:38

Edited By DiogenesII on 22/07/2023 13:16:51

Ramon Wilson22/07/2023 13:18:56
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Hi Bernard - still here in Beccles wink

Clive's advice is sound - early runs on say a 8 x 4 and a 7 x 4 for general running will be fine. Keeping the pitch at 4" or below allows the engine to rev without being loaded. You could use a 6" pitch on bench running but that would usually be much better suited to flying situations. I very rarely (bench) run my engines on 6" pitch props for that reason

I have a FROG Talisman control liner with a Frog 150 in it. So nippy it's getting difficult to handle these days so it flies on a 7 x 4 prop to slow it down a bit

Getting small props may prove difficult - so much these days are aimed at electric motors but Leeds Model Shop might be a good start.

Just to get you in the mood here's a new model - it's an enlarged 30" span KK Ranger with an OS 20FP glo motor converted to diesel.dscn0632.jpg

See you at Lowmex?

Best - Tug

geoff warner 122/07/2023 13:21:50
12 forum posts

these questions take me back a few years i had a mills 1.3 engine but could not start it as i had a small 6 inch

nylon prop on the mills i was advised it was too small and not heavy enough and was given an 8 inch wooden prop

and it started and ran straight away.

bernard towers22/07/2023 13:55:57
1221 forum posts
161 photos

Yes I’ll be there Tug. And thanks everyone for the input, I will look into getting a couple.

Edited By bernard towers on 22/07/2023 13:57:32

Ramon Wilson22/07/2023 18:16:00
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Here you go Bernard - these Graupner props from Leeds Model shop will be ideal and reasonably priced too.

**LINK**   The 7 and 8" dia are on the second page

LMS are very efficient on dispatch so can recommend them

Edited By Ramon Wilson on 22/07/2023 18:17:32

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate