By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Rose indexer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
john fletcher 112/05/2023 10:18:23
893 forum posts

I watched a YouTube on milling, the operator used a Rose Indexer, what a useful tool, does any one know where I can buy one here in UK ?

Bazyle12/05/2023 10:27:26
6956 forum posts
229 photos

print one maybe

Martin Connelly12/05/2023 10:59:58
2549 forum posts
235 photos

If you have a mill and a rotary table making one should be easy as well. Possibly why they are hard to find commercially.

Martin C

Henry Brown12/05/2023 11:04:23
618 forum posts
122 photos

Or get a set of Stevenson Collet Blocks? No octagonal option though...

Stevenson's ER32 Collet Blocks - Arc Euro Trade

Brian Wood12/05/2023 11:12:57
2742 forum posts
39 photos

It is easy enough to do a first pass of 90 degree steps with a square collet, the component just needs a rotation of 45 degrees within the collet to complete the pattern for an octagon on a second pass.

Brian

Edit    Why not go for a 12 step version with the hexagon collet block? Exactly the same logic applies.

Edited By Brian Wood on 12/05/2023 11:16:32

john fletcher 112/05/2023 13:05:31
893 forum posts

Many thanks to all respondents, I had thought of making one, but thought if they are readily available and not to expensive I would buy one. Will be another job for next winter, after a summer of hedge and lawn. John

DC31k12/05/2023 13:08:18
1186 forum posts
11 photos

A semi-finished version is available here:

https://d-gray-drafting-and-design.myshopify.com/products/indexing-plates-the-complete-kit

I have always liked the idea here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qYdcolOhGQ

Edited By DC31k on 12/05/2023 13:10:12

Hopper12/05/2023 13:17:48
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Seems like for hexagons (my most common shape to need milling) you could use a large nut with hole drilled and tapped for the clamping screw.

Still trying to get my head around how the Rose Index makes an evenly cut hex, or square or octagon etc when it is mounted well off-centre to the job the way the large hole and grub screw works on smaller diameter jobs. Hard to imagine without having one in the hand. But apparently it must work. Neat idea that seems so obvious once you see it.

DC31k12/05/2023 13:39:42
1186 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Hopper on 12/05/2023 13:17:48:

Still trying to get my head around how the Rose Index makes an evenly cut hex, or square...

Imagine a square of metal. Superglue it any old how to the end of a piece of bar. If each edge of the square in turn is kept parallel to the mill table below it, the square cut on the workpiece will be correct.

Keeping it parallel is fiddly (as the distance keeps changing) so it is easier to keep one edge of the square vertical using an engineer's square. Sure, the stock of the square will slide back and forth on the mill table each time you turn the part, but the blade will always be vertical.

It is a good technique to know. If you wanted a seven sided thing, you can just print one out on paper, glue it on the end of your stock and away you go.

Hopper12/05/2023 14:00:02
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by DC31k on 12/05/2023 13:39:42:
Posted by Hopper on 12/05/2023 13:17:48:

Still trying to get my head around how the Rose Index makes an evenly cut hex, or square...

Imagine a square of metal. Superglue it any old how to the end of a piece of bar. If each edge of the square in turn is kept parallel to the mill table below it, the square cut on the workpiece will be correct.

Keeping it parallel is fiddly (as the distance keeps changing) so it is easier to keep one edge of the square vertical using an engineer's square. Sure, the stock of the square will slide back and forth on the mill table each time you turn the part, but the blade will always be vertical.

It is a good technique to know. If you wanted a seven sided thing, you can just print one out on paper, glue it on the end of your stock and away you go.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Less faff that I have been doing with a digital inclinometer on the freshly milled flat. It gets you there but can be fiddly on the small stuff. The bigger hex on the Rose index looks easier.

dscn0305.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate