Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

ALSGS Power feed oops on Warco VMC

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stuart Bridger01/05/2023 13:50:37
566 forum posts
31 photos

When you are installing your new power feed and just have to do a test BEFORE installing the limit switches AND you don't appreciate the range of the Z axis.I drove it down until it hit the bottom...

In the words of the of the late great John Stevenson "clumsy b8stard".

0i3a7494_low.jpg

All was not lost, replacement "Zytel Gear" ordered via the usual auction site at not great cost. It arrived from China in good time. Spent this morning fitting the limit switches BEFORE replacing the gear.

Interestingly there is a motor overload cutout on the feed that didn't trip. So a bit of a design fault in that the gear strips before the overload kicks in. Also the the ALSGS manual doesn't mention the gear in the troubleshooting section, despite it being easy to access under a plastic cover. Youtube came to the rescue here.

Still a few tasks to complete the install of the Z feed, but already appreciating the X feed working under power.

Also have to give a shout-out to Warco who sent me a replacement Brass bevel gear FOC as the current shipping feed units are sized for the latest generation of VMC which have different diameter spindles to my 2001 model.

Edited By Stuart Bridger on 01/05/2023 13:52:37

Lathejack01/05/2023 22:22:05
339 forum posts
337 photos

Some of those power feed units used to come supplied with a spare Zytel gear mounted on the inside of the bottom plastic cover. The unit I bought for my Warco VMC some years ago had the spare gear, as did the one we bought for the Bridgeport mill at work.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate