Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Alexander Miller Horizontal Spindle Removal

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Sillitoe26/02/2023 18:16:03
21 forum posts
15 photos

Hi All,

The refurbishment of my Alexander Toolmaster is progressing quite well. It now moves freely in the X and Z directions and I have fitted a new 3ph motor. Not been able to test it yet as currently do not have the power sorted out.

I now need to sort out the Y direction travel but I cannot work out how to remove the horizontal spindle carrier. Please can anyone advise. I have attached a couple of photos.

Thanks

Bobimg_1221.jpgimg_1220.jpg

vintage engineer27/02/2023 21:36:11
293 forum posts
1 photos

I think you have to remove the spindle first and then remove the gib strip then disconnect the leadscrew from the handle and it should come out.

Phil P28/02/2023 12:55:26
851 forum posts
206 photos

I am pretty sure that you need to remove the support bracket hanging down from under the rear of the slide.

Once that is gone the slide comes of the front of the column.

Phil

Bob Sillitoe28/02/2023 19:59:25
21 forum posts
15 photos

I have removed the support bracket. If I slide the head forward (or backwards) something somewhere hits something, so it will not slide off. I have seen pictures of heads removed from Deckel machines that still have the spindle in situ, so on Deckel's at least it doesn't need to be removed. The Deckel instructions are to remove the gib strip, to then lift the head on the gib strip side and then to lift the whole head off. I just cannot make this work on my Alexander, I can lift the head on the gib side but I still cannot lift it off. It could be of course that I am not strong enough!!

Phil P28/02/2023 22:33:50
851 forum posts
206 photos

This video shows how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLajd90LmzQ

Phil

Bob Sillitoe01/03/2023 12:41:07
21 forum posts
15 photos

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the youtube link, very useful for all sorts of things. On my Alexander even if I removed the horizontal shaft I still wouldn't be able to slide the head forward because there are two pins at the back of the head which are used to locate the support bracket and they would foul the machine as the head is moved forward. The pins are a press fit so probably not easily removeable. It might be possible to slide it off backwards though. However I really don't want to remove the shaft to find out.

Here is another link I have found which includes an extract from a Deckel manual which shows how to tilt the head before sliding it forward. no shaft removal required. This is what I have been trying to do but with no success. Is my Alexander different - I have no idea!

https://hyllest.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/pulling-apart-a-deckel-fp1/

Thanks

Bob

Phil P01/03/2023 13:17:25
851 forum posts
206 photos

Hi Bob

I cannot be of any more specific help I am afraid, and I dont want to just take a guess.

My own machine was stripped and re-built by my late father over 20 years ago now, and I am unable to remember all the details, he left me a folder with copios notes and diagrams of things he had done to it, but having gone through all of it last night there is nothing specific about removing that slide. I was going to look in my Deckel FP1 manual, but you have already done that it seems.

When you do get it off, please let me know how you did it, in case I ever need to do mine again.

I dont know if you have used your machine yet, but they are the perfect model engineers milling machine. I was using mine with the slotting attachment just yesterday evening to cut some rectangular slots in a mil engine con rod.

Phil

Bob Sillitoe02/03/2023 11:02:26
21 forum posts
15 photos

Hi Phil,

I got the machine for free some 30 years ago from the company my father worked for and which was closing down. At the time I didn't really need it but it was too good to miss. It came with the standard vertical head, slotting attachment, two speed motor and it had the roller bearing upgrade for the spindles. We connected to a static three phase convertor but it never really worked very well and the machine soon fell into disuse, it wasn't really touched for 25 years.

I have the receipts for when the machine was first purchased in the late 60's. At the time the total cost was £1900 which Google tells me is over £30,000 in todays money.

But now I am restoring it, new motor with VFD, freed up the X and Z travel and generally degreased it. There is really nothing wrong with the horizontal head, I was just wanting to take it off to see what was inside. So now on the basis of if it isn't broke don't fix it I am just going to put it back together. I can then get on with sorting out the VFD, never had one of those before.

What am I going to make on it is the question my wife keeps asking. At present I haven't a clue apart from possibly making a new toolpost for my Southbend lathe.

Thanks for everyone's interest.

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate