Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

BSO Dividing head

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Simpson 313/01/2023 16:57:28
122 forum posts
2 photos

Hi all, I eventually got round to buying a dividing head. Today I stripped it down and gave it a clean up and renewed the grease. Got it mounted on the Tom Senior mill to give it an experimental turn over. All OK other than the very nasty spring plate that keeps the "fingers" under tension. After several rotations of the handle the cheap and nasty spring plate ends up on the floor. Does anybody know of a modification to resolve this issue ?

DiogenesII13/01/2023 18:38:53
859 forum posts
268 photos

Make a better one?

..the 'spring' action only has to retain it in the groove, so it isn't subject to rapid / repeated flexure..

..off the top of my head and without thinking to much about it, if I had to make one I might spend a couple of hours contemplating the concave base of an empty aerosol can..?

DC31k13/01/2023 18:59:40
1186 forum posts
11 photos

Is there any possiblilty it has been installed incorrectly?

Is there a way of installing it so the normal direction of rotation pushes it into its groove rather than tries to set it free from the groove (on a similar engineering principle to having left hand threads on one side of your knock off wheels)?

Andy Stopford13/01/2023 19:53:05
241 forum posts
35 photos

I gave mine a bit of a trim with a Dremel to make it slide on better. I think I gave it a couple of smacks with a hammer too, to flatten it out a bit.

Really the best thing to do is make a better one as Diogenesll suggested. Maybe I'll get around to it one day.

Nigel Graham 213/01/2023 22:14:49
3293 forum posts
112 photos

If it's anything like mine, a clone so possibly differing in detail, the spring is awkward to fit but does stay in place.

Without traipsing back down the garden to examine it in detail it is retained at least as DC31k suggests, when rotating the handle in the usual clockwise direction.

I think it has some sort of positive engagement; and I have certainly not needed to crush it or cut bits off it; let alone try to make a "better" one. You'd need suitable spring material anyway, not an aerosol can base!

I think your first course of action is to ensure it is the right way round, engaged properly, and you turn the handle in a consistent direction, normally clockwise.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate