Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Dormer 108 Drill Grinder

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
James B22/11/2022 22:07:17
101 forum posts
14 photos

Hi,

Does anyone here use a Dormer 108 Drill Grinder?

I have a machine that I have rebuilt, it works beautifully, expect the chisel angle is too high - all the other geometry is correct. I can’t see anything in the manual relating to adjusting the chisel angle - does anyone know how to do this please?

Thank you 🙂

Mike Poole22/11/2022 22:33:57
3676 forum posts
82 photos

The manual I have mentions setting the chisel angle. Happy to email a pdf copy to you if you private message me an email address to send it to. The manual I have has 22 pages.

Mike

James B22/11/2022 22:45:05
101 forum posts
14 photos

Thank you Mike! PM sent.

Mike Poole23/11/2022 08:28:21
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Hi James, I have emailed the manual, I notice that it is for the Mk II machine which is what I have. I think the difference is mainly cosmetic between the two, if you have a Mkll then it’s happy days.

if anyone else needs a pdf manual for the Dormer 108 drill grinding machine then private message your email and I can send a copy.

Mike

Colin Heseltine23/11/2022 10:31:45
744 forum posts
375 photos

Lucky man having one of these machines. I used one several months ago and would like to get obtain one for myself.

Colin

James B23/11/2022 21:19:49
101 forum posts
14 photos

Thank you so much Mike, your manual has answered my question, problem solved! Mine is a Mk 1 machine, but a similar setup. In case anyone is looking for how to do this, slacken the bolt in front of the jaws:

78db47e8-371d-4c41-aabf-012f2379bb5f.jpeg

Then you can turn the clamp head to adjust the chisel angle. Once you adjust this, there is a graduated scale that is hidden when the head is straight:

2f5fe544-11ff-4b8a-9ad4-183ba03c3dc3.jpeg

Colin, yes very fortunate. They do come up on eBay occasionally, I picked mine up from the home workshop site a few years ago. It needed quite a bit of work, but I will say there is nothing on there that can’t be made if needed, and there are no cams involved - but very pleased with the results 🙂

Peter Greene23/11/2022 22:21:43
865 forum posts
12 photos

If anyone in Southern Ontario is interested in one of these, there's one for sale on Kijiji right now (for a grand).

Mike Poole24/11/2022 00:18:10
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Hi James, pleased the manual has cleared up the chisel point question. It looks like the Mkl and Mkll are very much the same machine so much of the manual will be relevant. It looks a nice tidy rebuild. You are probably aware that Midland Abrasives hold the remaining spare parts for the Dormer grinders, they are not cheap and could mostly be made or refurbished in a home workshop. The fingers for holding the drills would not be too difficult to make if the dimensions are available but I think I may stump up for the ones I don’t have and measure up before putting them to use.

Mike

Colin Heseltine24/11/2022 22:03:18
744 forum posts
375 photos

There was one recently on Ebay, Trouble is the guy wanted £1000 which I could certainly not justify.

Colin

Russell Reeves27/01/2023 17:47:00
2 forum posts

To Mike Poole

I have just picked up a 108 Mk2 and am currently stripping it down for refurbishment. I am having trouble removing the grinding wheel rear plate of the motor shaft. It is secured with four grub screws which I have removed. I am not sure if it unscrews of the shaft or just pulls off. I can get it to do neither. Have tried oil, heat and moderate force. Any ideas, any chance of a copy of your manual.

Simon

Mike Poole27/01/2023 18:01:35
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Hi Simon, I am happy to email the manual to you, if you use the message member with an email address that you would like me to send it to then that will keep your email out of the public area.

Mike

DC31k27/01/2023 19:08:21
1186 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Mike Poole on 27/01/2023 18:01:35:

Hi Simon, I am happy to email the manual to you...

Could I respectfully request you send a copy of your manual to the vintagemachinery.org website? Everything they publish is freely available with no need to join or to log in and they seem to have a long-term plan for the continuity of the site.

Oldiron27/01/2023 19:17:20
1193 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by DC31k on 27/01/2023 19:08:21:
Posted by Mike Poole on 27/01/2023 18:01:35:

Hi Simon, I am happy to email the manual to you...

Could I respectfully request you send a copy of your manual to the vintagemachinery.org website? Everything they publish is freely available with no need to join or to log in and they seem to have a long-term plan for the continuity of the site.

A most excellent site. I have uploaded several things so they are publicly available. Another great resource is

The International Tool Archive

regards

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate