Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

New member from Southampton

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Clark06/11/2022 16:32:24
4 forum posts

Hello,

I have been playing around with lathes and milling machines for a few decades now, primarily to make small things for R/C model aircraft (and cars a long time ago) I have only got some small machines but I am looking to upgrade so I have joined this forum for help and advice

Simon

David George 106/11/2022 17:49:03
2110 forum posts
565 photos

Hi Simon welcome to the forum. Just ask on here but have a look at the archives as well as many have asked on here as well. At the top right hand side of the web page has a search button that is well worth searching.

David

Michael Callaghan06/11/2022 18:29:32
173 forum posts
7 photos

The machines you need depends on so many factors. Space available, what you intend to make, and how big your pockets are. I think that most of us would say that a well maintained old British machine is much better then a modern Chinese machine. And for the milling machine if you have the space available a good Bridgeport mill will do anything you may need. But again, so many factors.

Simon Clark06/11/2022 22:56:30
4 forum posts

Thanks David and Michael. I am in no hurry to change anything but I know that it is coming! I used Bridgeports in my apprenticeship at Rolls-Royce and I would love to have one, but I have absolutely no need for anything that big and nothing like the space (or money). My actual needs are usually for very small and lightweight parts and I only need quite small machines, although larger ones would make most jobs a bit simpler and quicker. I also have a finite space and I have to balance the space used by machinery against that left for benches and general building. Some model aircraft can get quite big and use up a lot of space.

Simon

Howard Lewis08/11/2022 04:47:59
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Welcome to the Forum.

As you say, you have to select a machine that will do what you need, in the space available and within budget.

I tend to advocate choosing a machine that is a little larger than you first think believe, a job will come along that is JUST too big for your first choice.

Already, the gauntlet is being thrown down to start the argument over old British vs new Oriental, inviting the comments about wear or lower quality... Both schools of thought are valid (I have just seen a very basic machine come out of the box with the Tailstock offset by 0.020" over 8*! ) But also know of an old machine with a dip worn in the bed.

Having owned machines old and new, so have seen both sides of that coin.

Caveat emptor applies whichever route you take, but at least a new machine has a warranty., but a well maintained and carefully used used machine can give a lot of bang for fewer bucks.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate