Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Harrison M300 advice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dougie Swan26/04/2022 08:56:21
269 forum posts
73 photos

Hi

I have a Harrison M300 lathe and th project I'm working on requires a part to be bored between centres

The crosslide doesn't have any t slots but has v groves along its side

Are there any attachments available so that I can clamp an angle plate to it?

Thanks

Dougie

KWIL26/04/2022 10:19:11
3681 forum posts
70 photos

Here is one example. Copy of Harrison clamp on design (from Harrison M300 Manual) with a 7.25 Black 5 cylinder being bored between centres.

Highlander/Black5 SteamValve

steamdave26/04/2022 11:41:20
526 forum posts
45 photos

Here's an auxiliary boring table that I made for my M300. Clamps to the cross slide with wedge blocks as per Harrison's design. Plate was ex 12mm and screw holes are M10.

img_1057.jpg

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Andrew Johnston26/04/2022 12:33:23
7061 forum posts
719 photos

I made a plate similar to that by 'steamdave' from hot rolled steel for my hydraulic copy unit:

screwcutting_copy_unit.jpg

I've never seen a similar commericlal item.

Andrew

Dougie Swan26/04/2022 15:25:22
269 forum posts
73 photos

Thanks for the replies

Dave, can you send me pictures of the clamps?

Dougie

steamdave26/04/2022 20:50:39
526 forum posts
45 photos

Dougie

This is the best I can do. I sold the lathe a couple of years ago.

rear toolpost 1.jpg

From memory, the angle of the V is 70 degrees, but you had better check it!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Dougie Swan26/04/2022 21:37:36
269 forum posts
73 photos

Thanks Dave

That makes sense now

That helps a lot

Dougie

Alby Smith11/12/2022 11:33:12
1 forum posts

Hi,

Shout out for help with an electrical issue. I have an M300 running on three phase. When I first installed the machine, everything was working fine. However, on one occasion when I attempted to turn the coolant pump on, it was greeted with a significant protest from the inverter. The net result was that the coolant pump apparently failed.

Purchased a replacement second hand pump from eBay. Everything was working fine once again. Some weeks later, I turn the coolant pump on, and I was greeted with the repetition of the inverter protesting, and once again, I may have a second failed coolant pump.

The common thread between these two failures? The lathe was running. The coolant pump operates fine, providing it is switched on before the main motor is engaged. The first time this occurred, I put it down to an annoying coolant motor failure. I certainly saw no reason to link it to the lathe running. However, I do not believe in coincidence of this nature. The inverter is a Transwave STC3 Multi-Motor. It has the following rating of 3kw with the maximum single motor of 2.2kw and a minimum single motor of 0.55. This inverter was recommended by Transwave to ‘happily run the M300 all day’

Is there a trip circuit on the M300 protecting the coolant pump that is not necessarily apparent? If not, any ideas please?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate