Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Frank Boler 10cc 4-cylinder 2-stroke engine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Shane B Sulser19/02/2022 16:16:08
4 forum posts
5 photos

Hello:

I'm new top this forum. I am looking for any information about Frank Boler's 4- cylinder engine on the cover of The Model Engineer Vol 103 #2574 Sept 21 1950 issue. I have tried searching the internet, but with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shane

John Olsen19/02/2022 21:53:44
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

Hi Shane, If you search for Model Engineer index you should find a site that has a searchable index at www.itech.net.au A search on that for Boler gave me about 10 hits, including the 1950 cover. There is also a 1948 cover of the "Ensign" 10cc engine by the same guy, and references to models of his at exhibitions. He went on to build a working 7 cylinder Gnome engine which won the Championship Cup at the ME exhibition, so was evidently a very skilled worker.

I would have most of the issues found in the search so could easily scan pages for you if you are interested.

John

noel shelley19/02/2022 22:42:15
2308 forum posts
33 photos

If John doesn't have them I may be able to help ! Just give me issue numbers and or date ! Noel.

John Olsen20/02/2022 00:36:12
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

I've dug out the 1950 issue, this also refers to another issue#2572 with a report of the exhibition where the engine appeared. In that one there is another photo and a description of the engine. If you want to send me with a personal message with an email address I can scan those for you.

I don't know what your interest in this particular engine is, but Dean Clark who posts on here occasionally builds a lot of two stroke model aircraft style engines, including multicylinder, up to a supercharged V12, which you can find pictures of on this site. He would be a good contact if you are interested in this sort of thing.

regards

John

John Olsen21/02/2022 05:49:07
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

The editorial comment on the front page photo mentions a promised article on the engine, unfortunately this does not seem to have ever been written. So probably there are no drawings available. The best way to proceed if you want to make something like this would be some study of the old Model Engine News site, no longer being updated but still online. Model Engine News

Otherwise you could see if you can contact Dean as mentioned above. If he doesn't respond to a message here I could give him a ring...(he is local to me.)

regards

John

Shane B Sulser21/02/2022 23:06:49
4 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks for your help, John.

I did checkout the Model Engine News site. I'll have to look around on there some more.

Finding anything on this engine might be a quest.

I will contact Dean Clark and see what he information he might have.

Regards, Shane

John Olsen22/02/2022 01:29:21
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

Yes, what I have in mind is that you might be able to find enough information to allow you to design an engine like the Frank Boler one, if not exactly the same.

regards

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate