Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

New Prusa 3D Printer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
PatJ13/02/2022 06:54:52
613 forum posts
817 photos

Prusa has announced a new larger format 3D printer, the Prusa XL.

36cm x 36cm x 36 cm print area (14"x14"x14".

Apparently lots of new features over the last model.

It has to be pre-ordered with a refundable $200.00 deposit, due to supply chain issues.

This would be quite useful for pattern making, so I considering putting in my pre-order. Compared to commercial 3D printing machines, the cost is reasonable.

https://www.prusa3d.com/product/original-prusa-xl-2/

mgnbuk13/02/2022 11:33:36
1394 forum posts
103 photos

I saw a video about the new Prusa machine & it appears to be very impressive.

£2200 assembled is a bit more than I am able to commit to a 3D printer without a Lottery win, unfortunately.

Nigel B.

jimmy b13/02/2022 11:54:47
857 forum posts
45 photos

I have a couple of the Creality CR10 MAX printers at work, 450mm x 450mm x 470mm build volume.

For the price (£450 each) hard to beat!

Jim

PatJ13/02/2022 20:57:23
613 forum posts
817 photos

That is a significant amount of money by any measure, especially for a hobbyist.

I know a guy who has started his own foundry though, and I think he could earn $2,200.00 back in a short amount of time by using this 3D printer instead of manually making patterns.

There are cheaper 3Dprinters on the market to be sure.

The one thing I like about the Prusa is the amount of R&D he puts into his machines, and the fact that he is running a 600 printer farm to make parts for the printers he sells.

There would be no better way to figure out how reliable your 3D printer is than to operate 600 of them continuously.

Another idea would be to purchase one for group use, in sort of a maker's workshop arrangement, which is what I have seen in some do in Canada.

Interesting how the bed moves down away from the printhead, similar to what is done with the resin printers.

Makes more sense to move the bed down than to move the printhead up.  Keep the print head rigid by eliminating its vertical movement.

Edited By PatJ on 13/02/2022 20:59:53

Henry Brown14/02/2022 11:48:00
618 forum posts
122 photos

Wow, for that sort of money you could make one and have some change!

I was thinking of cannibalising my modified E3Pro to make a larger cube type printer to get away from the moving bed to be able to print faster but just don't have the space to accommodate it in a suitable enclosure at present.

There are lots of designs out there to get ideas from, it would be fun to do the designing and machining of the metalwork.

Looks like a great machine if you just want to plug and play though...

PatJ14/02/2022 19:51:31
613 forum posts
817 photos

I am going to get the pre-assembled model.

I am still very much a working stiff, and I have had a record amount of work projects in the last two years, with no end in sight.

Yes I could make a 3D printer, but I would not come out on it with my current workload.

If I were retired, I would probably make my own machine.

There does seem to be some advanced technology incorporated into this new machine, such as the auto-adjust first layer, and some other items, that I don't think a hobbyist would be able to duplicate.

If I ever retire, I may start a pattern making/casting kit business, and thus the interest in a high-end type machine.

I looked at a few larger format commercial printers, and it some of them went for perhaps $100,000.00 or more, so this machine looks downright reasonable, although its bed is a fraction of the size of the high-end units.

This seems like a fair price break for the bed size, for my potential uses.

I have a large number of 3D models ready to be printed, for both old marine engines, hit-and-miss engines, as well as steam engines. There is no doubt I have enough 3D models to start a casting kit company.

Edited By PatJ on 14/02/2022 19:52:08

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate