Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

My humble pinions

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Crow08/12/2021 16:18:24
429 forum posts
268 photos

I spent the weekend cutting gears.

There are 3X12, a 14, 15, 16, 18 and a 20 tooth, all Mod 0.3.

pin1.jpg

More sizes than I really need but setting up for pinion cutting is a bit of a pain so I thought I would "future proof" my parts box. You never know when you might feel a five-speed gearbox coming on.

Steve

John Haine08/12/2021 16:22:57
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Nice!

Brian H08/12/2021 16:29:15
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Hello Steve, nice work. What are they intended for?

Brian

Steve Crow08/12/2021 16:55:30
429 forum posts
268 photos

Thanks Brian, I will be using some for a 1/12 scale V8 for the cam gear train and some more for a tumbler reverse gear in the matching gearbox.

Also I may use some for motion work in a clock project and to make a spur gear differential.

Steve

Nigel Graham 208/12/2021 17:57:12
3293 forum posts
112 photos

Fine work!

'

May I make a suggestion applicable to any divided and parted-off batch-work, such as hexagons, not only gear-cutting, in that style?

I found it better, if possible, to make initial parting-tool grooves in the appropriate places first, to very slightly below the roots of the features (spanner flats, I think I was making).

Then perform the milling, which does not mind working across grooves provided you go steady with the break-throughs if using a slot-drill.

In this way the parting-off is never on 'orrible interrupted cuts.

Steve Crow08/12/2021 18:11:26
429 forum posts
268 photos

Thanks Nigel, I did initially consider pre-parting them and I now wish I did for a few of them.

My problem is, apart from half a dozen gears, I don't know how thick I might want any other pinions to be.

I hate parting off gears. The teeth act like a musical box with a loud high pitched whine.

Vic08/12/2021 22:22:02
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Nice job and I agree with the sentiment of making a few more than you need. wink

Jouke van der Veen10/12/2021 14:25:57
203 forum posts
19 photos

Parting off with a circular saw in a mill should avoid the “musical box” effect.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate