By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Brazing/high temp silver soldering with 999 Ag wire?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jon hill 307/10/2021 13:21:05
166 forum posts
40 photos

Having done some small silver soldering before and looking to do some brazing is it possible to use un-alloyed silver wire eg 999 fine Ag for joining copper and brass or steel?

Also is there any cost saving in using fine silver wire bought say on a real rather than filler rods which may be steeply maked up in price?

Dave S07/10/2021 13:56:21
433 forum posts
95 photos

Copper to copper is certainly possible with fine silver - that's how I attach things I'm going to enamel together.

I use plain borax for the flux.

I suspect brass will be 'tricky' as IIRC the melting point of silver is above the melting point of brass.

Can't say about the price comparison for sure, but a reel of fine sliver wire I bought was about £30 and I expect it to last me for a good few years yet.

Dave

Keith Hale08/10/2021 09:58:42
334 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Jon,

This post baffles me!

Why would you want to make joints at 1000°C , probably using a fine hot flame (oxy acetylene?) when you can be using simpler equipment and making your joints at a considerably lower temperature.

You would also be able to use more readily available filler metal with an intrinsic value of approximately 50% of fine silver. What's not to like?

Are you simply looking for a cheaper method of making your joints?

Can you get fine silver fuse wire from say your local DIY shed? Don't try to explain what you are trying to do 😀

Find a supplier to the amateur silversmith for the rods and wire. However they tend to restrict themselves to standard or sterling silver and not fine silver. Don't expect their overheads relating to distribution to be any different!

Then follow Dave's advice.

Regards

Keith

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate