By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Should silver solder be cleaned if it is ''tarnished'' ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian John03/09/2021 07:32:39
1487 forum posts
582 photos

I have some 2 year old silver solder which has been hanging on the wall inside the house. It is good quality silver solder with cadmium which I use for soldering copper boilers. It has lost its bright and shiny new look ; it is a bit ''tarnished'' for want of a better word. Should it be cleaned before use by using steel wool or something similar ?

NOTE : I always make sure the copper surfaces to be soldered are clean and bright and I use plenty of flux.

Brian H03/09/2021 08:54:01
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Hello Brian (what a good name!), personally, I would clean off the tarnish before use but not with wire wool as it can leave particles of steel embedded in the silver solder.

I just use some fine emery paper or cloth and wrap it around the silver solder sticks and pull the stick through a couple of times.

Brian

Baz03/09/2021 08:54:17
1033 forum posts
2 photos

I have some very old easyflo that is tarnished, it dates back to the 1980s, I give it a pull through a piece of scotchbrite before I use it, probably unnecessary as the flux would remove the oxides but it makes me feel happier.

Keith Hale03/09/2021 09:20:10
334 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Brian,

If it makes you feel better, then clean it, but it's not really necessary. The tarnish is only a film of oxide that the flux will remove.

When doing a brazing demo, I might have cleaned the rod purely for a esthetic reasons.

I would use a piece of newspaper. If the silver solder contained more than than 40% silver I would use a broadsheet, if it was less, I found a tabloid satisfactory!smiley

Regards

Keith

Brian John03/09/2021 14:09:43
1487 forum posts
582 photos

Okay, thanks for that. It is probably not necessary but I will give it a quick pull through some emery paper anyway.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate