Small dc brushed motors

Manufacturers size designations.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Mc23/08/2021 08:08:04
231 forum posts
50 photos

Hi All...

am in the process of making an r/c boat, I need to find out which motor to use, I have already used a '400' type motor but have no idea what this means ... I will require a larger motor for the next build so need to know volts/amps/rpm/mechanical size etc.... is there a chart for all this?

will be grateful for any information....Bob.

Edited By Bob Mc on 23/08/2021 08:09:09

mick H23/08/2021 08:40:49
795 forum posts
34 photos

A lot of the information that you require can be found on The Component Shop website catalogue.

Mick

Circlip23/08/2021 08:49:53
1723 forum posts

Try this site Bob, :- Model Boat Mayhem - Index

Regards Ian.

Jouke van der Veen23/08/2021 09:15:41
203 forum posts
19 photos

Some years ago I completed a 1 meter long tugboat, originally built by my son 25 years ago.

Searching for a motor I found information on the internet to use a 12V brushed motor from a car interior blower.

Cheap and with sufficient power to give the boat the speed belonging to its scale.

Ron Laden23/08/2021 10:14:44
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Have a look at MFA COMO DRILLS they have a large selection of motors and motors with gearboxes, they also give the full spec for all their types.

Joseph Noci 123/08/2021 11:04:24
1323 forum posts
1431 photos
Posted by Bob Mc on 23/08/2021 08:08:04:

Hi All...

am in the process of making an r/c boat, I need to find out which motor to use, I have already used a '400' type motor but have no idea what this means ... I will require a larger motor for the next build so need to know volts/amps/rpm/mechanical size etc.... is there a chart for all this?

will be grateful for any information....Bob.

Edited By Bob Mc on 23/08/2021 08:09:09

Hi Bob.

The term '400 type motor' ( called Speed 400 back then..) dates back a while, and very loosely referred to a motor around near 38mm long, a 500 motor was near 55 or 56mm long, etc. The old 400 DC motors were around 100watts max or so, 10 to 12 amps typically. If I recall, the Speed 400 was around 30mm in diameter.

Are you set on a DC motor? Do you already have the DC PWM RC speed controller? If so that would set some limits on the motor amps/volts choice I guess.

If you are not set on DC, the RC brushless DC motors are a good option. Much more efficient and more power in smaller packages compared to the somewhat dated construction of the cheap Speed series DC motors.

A visit to your local RC hobby shop will deliver..

Eg:

Howes Models UK

E-Flight Park 400

Example E-FLight motor chart

Joe

Bob Mc27/08/2021 15:28:49
231 forum posts
50 photos

Sorry to reply so late ...

was away for a few days and didn't see the responses....thanks to all who replied to my question, these have been most helpful...

rgds..Bob.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate