Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Adept No 1 or Mal-adept?

Identifying my little hand shaper

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Belfer18/04/2021 02:16:05
43 forum posts
11 photos

My little shaper has done such long service in a far corner of my workshop as a toe-stubber that I really dont rememember how I acquired it.

Pictures in my album show it is in pretty mal- treated state, but not from any use I have had from it, because I never have actually gotten around to using it.

It _LOOKS_ like an Adept No 1, but all pics of these I have seen have ADEPT clearly cast onto the body, but this one.......totally devoid of any such marking.

My plan is to strip, clean, possibly pain, and sell it.

So two questions........

1) IS it in fact an Adept, and

2) Is there any value/ interest in such an item whether it is or not?

Michael (In Australia, wherein any interest would have to come from, the weight would I suspect prohibit it being shipped further afield)

not done it yet18/04/2021 07:14:58
7517 forum posts
20 photos

It does look a bit neglected. Adept 1 and 2 versions had different strokes (and cross travel?). Thus not too difficult to ascertain which model it is.

I occasionally give my Alexander an outing and do use my Drummond. Not a lot but the Drummond is particularly useful at times. I would like to have a powered machine, as the handraulic operation gets harder and harder as I get older!

With only 3 gib adjusters on the ram I expect it is a No. 1

A No. 2, which was mechanised, sold for £52 on epay just this last week.  Someone may be pleased with their purchase but it appeared to be severely restricted in stroke - less than 5” instead of 7”.

Edited By not done it yet on 18/04/2021 07:46:44

Michael Belfer18/04/2021 07:42:51
43 forum posts
11 photos

Stroke about 3.7"

Cross travel about 2-1/2"

There are three tee slots as in Adept 1,

but...... and I wonder if it is decisive, no letters ADEPT cast in the main body ( or anywhere else as far as I can see )

I'd say it was a LOT neglected previously, and I have ignored it for at least 2 decades.

not done it yet18/04/2021 07:48:19
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Michael,

Edited my post above, after you posted......

Ady118/04/2021 07:56:51
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Looks like an Adept 1

There were a few hybrids made out in Aussie, lathes as well as other tools, which appeared to have their origins in dear old England

Possibly people connected with the original tools who emigrated, or licencing deals with small local machine shops to save the hassle of exporting goods to a destination which was a very long way away for small margins

WW2 also made for unusual bedfellows, Drummonds made by Myford for example, the Aussie government may have made similar tooling decisions via the national emergency

Peter Sansom19/04/2021 11:53:15
125 forum posts
4 photos

Michael

I have one the same as yours, purchased mid 90's, missing the lever mechanism. Has been sitting in pieces for 20 years due to moving house several times and family issues.

On the list to reassemble over the next year.

Peter

Michael Belfer06/05/2021 06:20:01
43 forum posts
11 photos

I have started the cleaning and refurbishment process so now it is in pieces. The clapper-box (is that the right name?) has the remains of what looks to be a decal or transfer logo stuck on the painted part of the casting. As photos 4 and 5 that I have added to the album show, it was originally an elliptical shape but less than a quarter remains. To me it looks like it ended with "ec".

Does this help anyone identify or guess at the manufacturer? Seems less likely to have been a genuine Adept but an antipodean clone is still a possibility.

Michael dow nunda

ChrisH06/05/2021 08:39:52
1023 forum posts
30 photos

I have an Adapt 2 shaper - looking at the pics I do see a ceratin similarity there, so could be an Adapt 1

Chris in good ol' Pommieland

Glyn Davies06/05/2021 09:10:58
146 forum posts
56 photos

Here are pics of the No1:r0010040.jpg

adept advert.jpg

Michael Belfer07/05/2021 07:06:10
43 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks Glyn, Chris, but if you look earlier in this thread you will see it was reasonably clear that a) it is NOT a genuine Adept, and b) it is much more like a Number 1 than a 2 (Slides travel, number of tee-slots and so on.

But the question on the table at the moment is whether anyone can recognize the partial manufacturer logo pictured?

If not, too late now as painting has moved on far enough that the transfer/decal is now invisible.

Michael

Tendor07/05/2021 13:30:20
39 forum posts
5 photos

Found this at an Australian forum post from 3 years ago. metalworkforums.com/f223/t200445-hand-shaper

A "T.N.C. hand shaper" is described for sale. It has a logo that matches yours. Lathes.co.uk has this in relation to the Adept No.1: "Also made in (or exported to) Australia and marked (like the Adept lathes) as a TNC". Some photos of the shaper itself shown at the metalworkforums link above.

t.n.c. australia.jpg

Michael Belfer08/05/2021 09:36:11
43 forum posts
11 photos

Yep, thats a match, including colours. Thanks Tendor

The referred website also links T.N.C. to EMCO which Inbelieve stood for Eastern Machinery Co. That happens to be where I bought my vertical mill-drill, a Taiwanese RungFu clone just before the went out of business in the late eighties.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate