By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

New guy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Morse Homology21/12/2020 01:11:31
10 forum posts

New guy here; been shopping for a hobby lathe, keep coming across your forum in the searches, and figured I'd join up.

I used to be a experimental physicist in a past career; presently computer nerd (living in Lisboa), and miss working with objects constructed of matter. We had a beautiful old Hardinge and Bridgeport in the lab's machine shop back when I was writing my thesis. I only made simple shapes and jigs, but always got a lot of satisfaction out of seeing my bits of metal in vacuum chambers and spectrometers making things go.

Definitely a model engine in my future, and maybe a clock if I get real ambitious, but who knows how long it will take to get up to speed and tooled up. More short term is making widgets out of aluminum and brass for electrostatic generators.

Was thinking about Cowells stuff, but as I had a Unimat-3 back in the US, I think I'd rather something a bit beefier, and more locally supported (who knows with Brexit). Proxxon PD400 is kinda more in the ballpark; nice spindle bore, but it seems pretty much same thing as Optimum TU2004v, which is cheaper and which is sold down the street from my house, where I can threaten the proprietor with a bacalhau or whatever the locals use in such circumstances.

I expect I'll ask a lot of dumb questions; hopefully you guys give me some good natured ribbing like I got from Charlie and Wayne-O back in lab machine shop days.

Brian H21/12/2020 08:41:30
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Hello Morse and welcome to this wonderful forum. Sounds like you have lead an interesting work life, I'm presuming now retired?

I wouldn't consider myself to be a clockmaker but I have built an English Regulator to a design by John Wilding.

All the best with your quest to find the ideal lathe.

Brian

Harry Wilkes21/12/2020 09:19:00
1613 forum posts
72 photos

Hello and welcome to the forum

H

Bazyle21/12/2020 09:37:02
6956 forum posts
229 photos

If yo look just at the top of the thread there is a link called 'Latest posts'. It is actually a list of all the posts not just recent ones in time order. You can use that to go back to say january this year and look at all the threads that have been started about choosing lathes. They often have odd tiltes - like this one - so read every single oe and you will learn a lot about what is favailable and what the problems can be.

Chris Evans 621/12/2020 10:15:27
2156 forum posts

Welcome along, enjoy the machinery when it arrives.

Howard Lewis21/12/2020 13:44:57
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Welcome!

An interesting career!

Lots of help available on here if you feel the need.

Have no experience of the Optimum, but search back in the Forum for Brian John's experience of his. As a newbie, he may have made some of his problems, but his experience, down under, was unlike any of mine with new machines.

In UK we are fortunate to have several importers, and folk seem to have fewer problems with the machines that they sell.

generally, having four different far eastern machines, have not been too disappointed. Yes there have ben a few problems, but none that cannot be overcome with care and adjustment.

One model of machine did have to be returned twice, before choosing a different version that worked well for years, before having a fairly easily overcome problem.

We are in a cost sensitive, and therefore more variable quality, area of the market.

Maybe, you should pursue seeking experiences of any machine, and the after sales back up provided by the importer, before purchasing.

Good luck

Howard

Morse Homology22/12/2020 03:05:12
10 forum posts

Thanks for the welcome and good advice guys. Not quite retired yet, got a few more years of work in me, but doing stuff that gets me away from the computer is super important to my sanity.

I'd just as soon a Warco WM180, but they don't seem to be sold in stores around here in Portugal, where Optimum are. Well, at least they're listed on the websites. The local fellow says he has to order from the factory. I guess they're all made in the same place, as Warco is out of stock also.

Anyway lots of juicy reading here; I'm sure somebody will sell me something eventually!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate