Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Warco WM16 machine vice

Recommendations

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul M20/06/2019 09:06:45
86 forum posts
4 photos

I purchased a Warco WM16 milling machine last year with a small vice. Although the vice is adequate for most work I would like one that is capable of holding larger work.

Rather than take pot luck buying an alternative, I thought some may have recommendations from their own experience regarding a vice and a rotary table.

Clive Brown 120/06/2019 09:45:38
1050 forum posts
56 photos

I have a WM16B and the vice I mostly use is an equivalent to the Arc Versatile Milling Vice, 80mm jaw width. The swivel feture is hardly used although it can be handy on the rare occasions I want to mount the vice "lengthways" on the table.

I've also a 4" Abwood but that's a bit of a heavyweight for most of my work.

If the size suits your intended use, the Arc vice is good value imo and larger sizes are available

Can't suggest a particular table except to say that I wouldn't wish to have smaller than 5" or 6 "

hope that helps

Clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 20/06/2019 09:46:01

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 20/06/2019 09:54:11

Trevorh20/06/2019 09:54:10
316 forum posts
89 photos

I have the WM16 and that's the same vice I fitted but as stated I have not needed the swivel operation yet

It is handy if you do need the vice offset and the height isn't an issue either

cheers

Trevor

John Hinkley20/06/2019 10:32:26
1545 forum posts
484 photos

I originally purchased a swivel-base vice to go with my mill but the swivelling part was ditched in pretty short order, never to be used. I sold it after a while and replaced it with a 100mm verstaile SG vice from my favourite Leicestershire emporium. Actually I ordered a 160mm one, only to find out it was far too big and heavy for my mill and nearly gave me a hernia trying to lift it onto the table. Luckily, I was able to return it straight away and trade down to the smaller one. You might have trouble mounting it longitudinally, if you needed to. Personally, I've never found the need. I do, however, find that the alternative vice jaw positions can provide useful solutions to intricate workholding problems on odd occasions.

John

( Warco VMC mill, not a WM16 user. )

Edited to correct spelling

Edited By John Hinkley on 20/06/2019 10:33:30

Howard Lewis20/06/2019 17:11:44
7227 forum posts
21 photos

When you buy your Rotary Table, my advice would be buy one with a 90:1 ratio.

It may mean more handle winding, but it can give greater accuracy, and will need a smaller number of Division Plates.

If in any doubt, do check by calculation that the chart supplied is accurate. I found out the hard way that there were errors on my chart.

Howard

Henry Brown20/06/2019 18:00:02
618 forum posts
122 photos

I recently purchased a 125mm ARC versatile milling vice and on checking there was a .004" error between the base and the face that the jaws fix to and run on. I took a very light skim from the base and its now within .001" which is good enough for my needs.

I, like others, took the rotating part off and it is unlikely I shall use it. I think it is a good value vice, it's a pity ARC don't offer it without the swivel and spend the money on making it more accurate.

Rik Shaw20/06/2019 19:09:20
1494 forum posts
403 photos

The vice on my WM16 is here:

millvice.jpg

Jaws are 90mm wide, open up to 67mm and are 40mm high. It cost me £7 if I remember correctly from a bloke in a field one Sunday afternoon some years ago. First thing I did with it was mill a slot underneath and fit a key to locate in the table slot. Saves clocking jaws every time the vice is refitted to the mill.

I have a 6” diameter rotary table purchased from WARCO who advised only the 4” but I though that would be restricting. It came with several dividing plates. Howerd Lewis of this very forum has a correction table available for use with the Vertex HV6 which I believe applies here. If not I’m sure he will correct me. Details here:

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate