Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

myford leadscrew

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Philip Burley08/04/2019 20:26:07
198 forum posts
1 photos

When I have tried to use the hand wheel on the end of the lead screw on my aged S7to move the cross slide with the half nuts engaged . it's always difficult to move because it turns the screwcutting gear box as well . Just been cleaning and oiling , and I cant see any way of disconnecting it . I never use it for that reason . Is this the normal situation or am I doing something wrong ? Just what is the use of that graduated hand wheel ?

Regards Phil

John Haine08/04/2019 20:46:38
5563 forum posts
322 photos

On a lathe without gearbox you just remove the gear that meshes with the one on the end of the leadscrew. Presumably not so easy if you do have a gearbox.

T.B08/04/2019 21:09:49
54 forum posts
21 photos

If you move the selector lever on the top of the gear box and leave it between two normal settings this will disengage the gearbox gear train and the leadscrew should be free to turn with the handwheel , a bit like a car in neutral !

Hopper09/04/2019 00:39:00
7881 forum posts
397 photos

There have been drawings over the years for a dog clutch -- to bring it up to the standard of a Drummond M type. 😁

Brian Wood09/04/2019 09:34:48
2742 forum posts
39 photos

Philip,

An alternative to T.B's suggestion is to pick the gap in the selector positions on the front of the gearbox and leave it parked there instead.

Brian

Phil H109/04/2019 09:37:21
467 forum posts
60 photos

As T.B says, just disengage the gearbox using the selector arm and the leadscrew will rotate freely. The graduated handwheel is invaluable for measuring turned lengths. I use it all the time.

Philip Burley09/04/2019 18:18:00
198 forum posts
1 photos

why didn.t I try that before !!

Howard Lewis09/04/2019 18:57:29
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Also, if the Handwheel is tight up against the Tailstock end bearing, it will make turning the Handle hard. You only need just enough clearance to allow it to turn, with minimal endfloat on the leadscrew.

Howard

Jon Lawes09/04/2019 20:06:03
1078 forum posts

I find the handwheel on my lathe annoying (ML7) as the graduations don't go up cleanly in tens for each revolution. I can't explain it very well, but I mean the end of the graduations end in a five when it reaches zero.

I know what I mean if no-one else does...

Dennis Pataki09/04/2019 21:56:59
16 forum posts

If it's fitted with an 8 TPI lead screw, and I expect it is, the graduated hand wheel will need 125 divisions for each division to show .001" of carriage travel.

So, yes, the last division before the zero would be a five.

Mike Poole09/04/2019 22:01:44
3676 forum posts
82 photos
Posted by Jon Lawes on 09/04/2019 20:06:03:

I find the handwheel on my lathe annoying (ML7) as the graduations don't go up cleanly in tens for each revolution. I can't explain it very well, but I mean the end of the graduations end in a five when it reaches zero.

I know what I mean if no-one else does...

As the lead screw is 8tpi you are rather stuck with it moving 125 thou per revolution but you could have a metric version and move 3.175mm, both make life awkward if you have to count past the zero point. Such is life.

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate