Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Myford Lathe

Super 7 Gear train

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Wilkinson 130/09/2016 15:11:20
49 forum posts

Hi I am looking to cut a metric thread of 0.8 pich The chart tells me I need a 21T gear on the driver but this gear is a different size to the rest It has a roughly 25mm bore with a spacing shoulder, On looking on the net for one nobody seems to have this gear am I looking at the wrong one the driver is the one on the spindle? mine currently is 30T

ATB Alan

John Stevenson30/09/2016 15:52:53
5068 forum posts
3 photos
They mean the first one after the tumbler gear, not the spindle.
Should be a picture with the chart
Lambton30/09/2016 17:21:56
694 forum posts
2 photos

Alan.

All change wheels for screw cutting on a Super 7 have the same bore of 5/8". Yours sounds like an odd-ball gear not intended for screw cutting on a Myford lathe.

Look at page 33 of the handbook for the piture JS refers to i.e. set up 2.

Brian Wood30/09/2016 18:13:06
2742 forum posts
39 photos

Lambton,

​I think JS gave the explanation correctly, the clue lies in 30T.

​Alan is probably looking at the gear on the spindle and the same sized gear after the tumbler reverse cluster.
​For his benefit the screw cutting gearing starts from the second of these 30T gears and the tumbler set does only what it says in the name and reverses the drive into the gear chain down to the leadscrew.
​It is flanked by identically sized gears above and below to keep the speed unchanged from that of the lathe spindle.

​Myford in their literature call the short shaft that the second 30T gear runs on the 'Mandrel'

​I hope that makes the table easier for you to understand Alan

​Regards
​Brian

Alan Wilkinson 130/09/2016 23:04:00
49 forum posts

Thanks everyone for thr help, looks like I need to get a picture of gears my chart dosnt have one or purhaps a manual any sugestions on were to get one

Hopper30/09/2016 23:21:06
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Plenty of downloadable PDF manuals on the net if you google ML7 manual.

Howard801/10/2016 01:54:44
2 forum posts

To cut all/most of the metric threads you will need 2 of the 21 tooth gears. If you look on the inside of your side cover it shows this. As mentioned earlier the manual shows a diagram. Sorry if I have repeated what others have confirmed.

Michael Gilligan01/10/2016 08:01:10
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Alan Wilkinson 1 on 30/09/2016 23:04:00:

Thanks everyone for thr help, looks like I need to get a picture of gears my chart dosnt have one or purhaps a manual any sugestions on were to get one

Alan,

Here is the screw-cutting chart with gear trains shown **LINK**

https://goo.gl/images/p9O7RR

MichaelG.

Alan Wilkinson 101/10/2016 14:18:33
49 forum posts

Thanks much clearer now with a picture The chart on the door doesnt have any pictorial help. but will now get a manual thanks again for all the help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate