Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Old Parvalux motor not starting properly

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Victor francis28/09/2023 22:38:39
35 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by noel shelley on 28/09/2023 21:23:51:

Hey Vic If your near me or going to the MMEX I may be able to help As Dave has said the gear pulling tools may be needed I also have the test gear. Noel.

Noel, that's very kind of you. I would love to come to the MMEX but unfortunately can't.

I am in London, actually close to Alexandra Palace. Shame I never visited when it was on there as I understand it won't return.

The bearings in the motor are fairly okay, but noisy enough to be replaced. It would be ideal to sort the lot out in one go.

Next week I am picking up an Unimat SL, hopefully it is complete enough to be used straight away and I can resume making turntable parts.

Again, thank you.

Victor.

Phil Whitley29/09/2023 16:10:22
1533 forum posts
147 photos

mark all the wires and remove them from the connection plate, remove the two screws from the top of the connection plate and the centrifugal switch may just lift out of the motor, and be able to be examined and cleaned without having to strip the motor!

Phil

Edited By Phil Whitley on 29/09/2023 16:11:24

Victor francis01/10/2023 14:23:16
35 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Phil Whitley on 29/09/2023 16:10:22:

mark all the wires and remove them from the connection plate, remove the two screws from the top of the connection plate and the centrifugal switch may just lift out of the motor, and be able to be examined and cleaned without having to strip the motor!

Phil

Edited By Phil Whitley on 29/09/2023 16:11:24

Ohil, thanks for the suggestion.

I have removed all screws, but thought the centrifugal switch could not be removed unless the motor was split. I will have a look at it again.

To be honest that switch covers up the remaining bits of wire, with it removed it would be much easier to splice or add connectors to whatever wire is left.

When the coil wires were extended copious amounts of solder was used, this made the connection brittle and so the wire just broke. The same issue is on all the three wires,

Victor francis01/10/2023 14:50:04
35 forum posts
12 photos

Phil, just gave it another go, the centrifugal switch is not coming out. It appears to be slipped over the end of the spindle.

The only option is some fiddly messing around to use small connectors in order to extend the wires which have broken off.

I am hoping the broken wire was the cause of the centrifugal switch not working properly, either that or there is something wrong with it and I broke the wire after the issue.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate