By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

How did early Automatic gear boxes on cars work?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
not done it yet09/06/2023 13:04:38
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Simon Robinson 4 on 05/06/2023 15:39:49:

In modern Automatic cars the Engine management system detects the need for a gear change through things like the MAF sensor which detects strain on the engine. But in early automatic transmission cars there were no computers or even MAF sensors etc. So how did the planetary transmission system know when the engine was under strain such as climbing a hill or moving in slow traffic etc?

In a few years time, the modern gearboxes will, I expect, all be single speed reduction, so no longer a need for electronics to control the gearbx.🙂

This is an interesting thread on bygones and those that preserve them. I just off-loaded my last automatic gear-boxed vehicle. All I remember of the 1970’s Borg Warner three speeders was that there must have been an over-ride switch (as well as smooth control for normal progress) when the ‘kick-down’ was required. The minis, with the four speed box, had an easy change from top to third, rather than the less-than-precise manual selection with the three speeders (really only required for maintaining a lower ratio, rather than anything else).

john halfpenny09/06/2023 17:29:21
314 forum posts
28 photos

The AP (Mini) box allowed lower gears 123 to be held and changed manually, or be fully automatic in D. Regrettably never fitted to sports cars, but I did often have an Alfa 2 litre prototype with 4 speed auto transaxle at weekends. Canned by Fiat, but a fabulous machine for visiting my girlfriend, instead of my more mundane transport. My best Preston to Warwick was 1 hour 42 min on a Sunday evening in 1976.

Howard Lewis09/06/2023 21:22:52
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Back in the late 20s, the Tilling Stevens buse was a petrol electric (Similar in basic principle to the Diesel elctric locomotive ) Because of the poorer technologies then available, and being DC, then they were not immune to faults such as flashover.

Not quite like our modern Hybrids

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate