General Aeromodelling Discussion

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ramon Wilson03/02/2021 09:42:34
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Speedy Builder 5,

Bob,

I now have a few petals and a copy of the Brauner drawing for you - PM your address and they'll be on their way.

No one else with aeromodelling in their blood ??surprise

Tug

Mike Blankley03/02/2021 13:33:53
17 forum posts
17 photos

Hi Ramon.
I have uploaded photos of my nearly finished Junior 60 with a homemade Little Locos Puck engine installed. Hopefully will be able to fly this Spring.

Engine is a 4.4cc flathead design.

regards Mike Junior 60 and Puck engine

Former Member03/02/2021 13:44:18
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Ramon Wilson03/02/2021 14:27:17
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Hello Mike, that's a nice rendition of a venerable old design yes I'm not familiar with the engine design though - is it a four stroke.

I built a J60 as a lad - but it never flew. I fitted an ED Hunter in it and the first time I ran it to do so the vibration shook those short engine bearers completely loose. Araldite was around but I'd not heard of it! Sold it to a mate as I was just about to join up.

br - got given two kits last year - the KK Chief and the large Piper Super Cruiser. The wood in the latter lives up to KK standards - hard as nails - but that in the Chief is fine. Always liked the design of the Chief but have never built one - too many things to do just not enough time these days so this may sit for a while.

I have found some old photos of flying C/L 'br' but I'm not able to scan however here's a pic of the last big stunt model made. I use the term 'big' loosely - the models I prefer are those of the 'classic' period and they were 'big' to me in their day.

dscn3528.jpg

dscn3590.jpg

It's a Performance Kits Pinnacle, something like 52" span and tissue covered. Has an OS 35 Max S for power. As yet unflown (by me) - but can't wait for normality to resume so I can.

Regards - Tug

Speedy Builder503/02/2021 14:40:29
2878 forum posts
248 photos

miss-spent youth painting dope onto various models in my bedroom with windows and door shut - and we think substance abuse is new ??  Oh! and chewing the hardened cement of an old tube of balsa cement.

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 03/02/2021 14:41:20

Ramon Wilson03/02/2021 18:46:55
1655 forum posts
617 photos
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 03/02/2021 14:40:29:

.... Oh! and chewing the hardened cement of an old tube of balsa cement.

...and then spitting the bits on the fire to see them flare - oh yes indeedy!

I have to say I am now very sensitised to balsa dust and even more so to cellulose fume. Masks are an essential commodity these days I'm afraid.

Speedy did you read the first post on this page?

Tug

Mike Blankley03/02/2021 18:52:32
17 forum posts
17 photos

a5c39345-08ef-45fb-8991-666dfa54bacf.jpegThe Puck is a four stroke, called a side valve in UK and flathead in USA. I’ve attached a photo of it between a Saito 45 and a 1.25cc four stroke i made. ( an Eric Whittle design).

Ramon Wilson03/02/2021 20:02:00
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Thanks Mike - that's certainly a compact looking engine completely new to me - is 'Puck' the manufacturer?

How well does it run compared to other four strokes you may have?

Only one I owned was the early OS 60(?) with the exposed valve rockers. Had it a long time but like quite a few engines I have had over the years it never made it to flying stage. I was building a Jasco Flamingo for it - made the fuselage and tail plane but never got round to the wings - huge ribs on that design, near a sheet of balsa in each.

Lovely result on the Whittle BTW yes - did you have any problems on initial running?

Regards - Tug

Ian Skeldon 203/02/2021 20:13:28
543 forum posts
54 photos

super sixty.jpgBelow is my son holding my modified Senior Telemaster with a laser 100 up front. Above  is a super sixty with a 30 four stroke up front, possibly an ASP.

telemaster and son.jpg

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 03/02/2021 20:14:08

DrDave03/02/2021 20:42:26
264 forum posts
52 photos

For some reason, I have very few pictures from my aero modelling days. This is not me, or anybody that I know. However, I was impressed that anybody would dare to fly a free flight model that size!

This was at a Shuttleworth Aeromodelling day some years ago.

shuttleworth free flight.jpeg

IRT06/02/2021 23:57:57
151 forum posts
44 photos

This post took me back. Back in 1980, Aeromodeller magazine ran a series that followed a few lads building their first control line planes and learning to fly. I was one of the lads. I think the article was called Flying Start.

I quick search of the internet yesterday came up with this:

cl1.jpg

I am the one on the right.

I have hardly changed a bit wink.

We used to visit Old Warden twice a year for the all scale-day and the Vintage day.

A great day out, but you needed to keep your wits about you in the free-flight area.

I remember seeing a chap poleaxed be a plane when he wasn't looking in the right direction.

Are the Old Warden shows still going? How has the free-flight continued in this no win, no fee age of blame and litigation?

Edited By IRT on 06/02/2021 23:59:22

Bill Pudney07/02/2021 04:48:33
622 forum posts
24 photos

Aeromodelling, probably my main lifetime obsession, in front (even) of motor cycles and model engineering in terms of duration if nothing else. It was control line first from the mid 50s to the mid 60s. Then a break when motorcycles, wives (yep 2 ) took over. Then in the late 70s my brother introduced me to the delights of free flight. That was it for the next 35 or so years. First off was F1a, towline glider duration for a few years, then F1b rubber powered duration took over. I got fairly good at F1b winning a few national level comps along the way. About 2008 ish the local club collapsed, and with it went the flying field. As with any pursuit, Free flight needs practice, without a decent sized flying field the opportunity for practice was zero. So sadly I stopped free flight and took up control line again. At first I thought I would take up combat, of the "Vintage" variety, sadly I fairly quickly realised that I was too old and too slow. So that's about where I am now, generally flying fast sports aerobatic models. Its still good fun but a bit superficial compared to free flight

cheers

Bill

Danny M2Z07/02/2021 05:32:46
963 forum posts
2 photos

G'day Bill.

When all the Covid restrictions are over, come and fly at the West Wyalong comps.

Plenty of Free Flight activity, I had a ball at the 2018 and 2019 Nats and lots of like minded aeromodellers there.

They have even installed a grass circle for suitable Control Line events.

* Danny M *

Korda first flight 2 cs.jpg

Speedy Builder510/02/2021 14:50:20
2878 forum posts
248 photos

The kindness of others.

Today the postman delivered a package of leaf valves for my Brauner pulse jet - Many thanks go to Tug and his friend. I just need a bit of good weather now to set up a test bed and annoy the neighbours.

Way back in the '60s, I used straight petrol for the fuel - is this still a good fuel to use?

Bob

Ramon Wilson10/02/2021 17:36:00
1655 forum posts
617 photos

According to my friend who supplied the petals petrol is rarely used these days by those who fly jets regularly. He says it's a mixture of Methanol and Propylene Oxide though I have just had a look and found that the world record set here in the UK used 60% Nitromethane and 40% Propylene Oxide!!!!!!!!!

Apparently Bob it's mainly down to the evaporation rate - petrol hanging around a bit if spilt but I guess with care it will still be okay - but - it's definitely your decision and not my suggestion. Pleased to have been able to help so do let us know how you get on won't yousmiley

IRT - My wife and I attended many OW scale and vintage week ends over many years and had some very memorable times. Mainly free flight while there but some control line on occasion. It still goes on but is a shadow of it's former self I believe - the last I attended was 2014 I think and went just to run some engines with other home builders.

I do have one or two pics from that time but need to get up the loft - that'll have to wait a day or two.

Bill P - good to see you here. I knew you were a F1b flier but hadn't realised you'd picked that handle up again thumbs up

Did you get your Nalon Viper finished (and flying?)

Tug

Edited By Ramon Wilson on 10/02/2021 17:36:41

Bill Pudney10/02/2021 21:29:32
622 forum posts
24 photos

Hi Tug, Thanks for the welcome!! Yes the Nalon Viper is running, and running very well!! So far I haven't flown it although that is the obvious thing to do. So far my thoughts have been to build a Mercury "New Junior Monitor" for the Sugden and I'm not sure what for the Viper!!

We shall see

cheers

Bill

Ramon Wilson10/02/2021 22:52:31
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Hi Bill that's good to hear thumbs up. I still have a couple of cases for a 5cc version waiting for some action but that seems to be unlikley for a while as yet. The Junior Monitor would be an ideal subject for the Sugden I would have thought but surely it's got to be an Aussie design team racer for the Viper wink

Bob - further to my last post my friend has emailed some info from the current Aeromodeller (Feb Issue). Theres apparently a four page article on speed and some info on jet speed. The basic fuel is listed as 80% methanol and 20% propylene oxide. The 60% Nitro and PO was for the record attempt.

Regards - Tug

Speedy Builder511/02/2021 06:45:19
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Those sound like exotic fuels for a bit 'Back yard fun" Its bad enough to get hold of "ether " to make some diesel fuel!

Bob

Ramon Wilson11/08/2021 23:19:33
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Hi again, that six months soon passed

Did you get that jet running at all Bob?

My 'achilles heel' has well and truly struck again - control line flying that is so I've been well sidetracked on these two control line aerobatic models.

'Coy Lady' by Ray Brown. Featured in a 60's Aeromodeller and always a favourite 'Classic Period' British design it's only taken me near sixty years to get round to making one!

coy lady (22).jpg

Still as yet to be covered and painted it's powered by a Stalker 40 glow motor

coy lady (23).jpg

The last few weeks has been busy putting this together - a 'modern' design this 'Intrepid XL' is a much larger American design of 60 inch wingspan

dscn0145.jpg

dscn0146.jpg

Powered by a recently rebuilt Merco 60 10cc motor this is the largest control line aerobatic model I've built over the years. Really noticeable in the workshop as it finds all the high spots as it get moved about.

The Merco was a well used R/C version completely gummed up with old castor oil

merco (1).jpg

But after a total strip down I machined the case to decrease the weight and fitted new bearings. The silencer is also home made in order to save weight

merco (10).jpg

The piston has a single ring but no work was done on piston and liner at this stage save to thoroughly clean them.

Piston seal could be better but it didn't take long for it to bring a big grin on

merco (19).jpg

Hope that's of interest to someone - certainly kept me busy this last few months. Hope to have the Coy Lady finished and flying in the next few weeks but the other one is going to have to wait a bit before I get to that stage

Regards - Tug

Edited By Ramon Wilson on 11/08/2021 23:22:31

Speedy Builder512/08/2021 06:52:47
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Tug - Embarrassed ! Where does all the time go?? Steam loco build, garden track making, Austin 7 maintenance and rallies, House painting, bit of Arduino stuff, general fixit bloke for the village, forgot to say gardening and looking after 7 bee hives.

Its a get around to it kind of thing - but once all the holiday makers go back home, and it too cold for painting, I will shove it up the list.

Cheers - Bob   Ps

love that model - takes me back to when I used to make them, loved the smell of 'Dope" and ether etc

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 12/08/2021 06:53:55

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate