Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

ML7 Crossfeed direct reading?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
V8Eng15/12/2014 17:01:55
1826 forum posts
1 photos

I too have a good body clock, excepting for a few weeks every Spring and Autumn, when the Politicos tell us that time must alter by an hour.

John Stevenson15/12/2014 23:02:46
5068 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 15/12/2014 14:12:19:

I have an irritatingly accurate body clock. It's not getting a lot of use as the puppy is running 45 minutes fast

Neil

LOL, All time classic that one, this year is nearly over but it's bot to be one of the better ones.

Muzzer16/12/2014 16:45:52
2904 forum posts
448 photos

> I don't have a lathe DRO but do you set the cross slide one to show zero at centre and do the maths or do you zero it on the current diameter so you can 'dial in' a particular depth of a shoulder?

It surprises me how few people do this, especially with digital callipers.

I set my digital calipers to the final dimension I want, then zero the display. Then I take a skim of the work piece with the cross slide dial set to zero and measure the resulting actual diameter of the work with the calipers. The indicated distance tells me directly how much more diameter I need to remove. When the work piece is reduced to the point that the calipers display zero, I'm there.

My Bantam cross slide dial measures directly in mm diameter increments, so I can now dial in the required additional cut directly. If I'm feeling paranoid, I can take several cuts and confirm that I am approaching the final diameter from above by using the calipers after each cut.

I normally work in mm but if the diameter is imperial, I set the required imperial diameter on the calipers, zero it and then swap over to metric display.

If I had a "radius" indicating dial, I'd have to take my chances at halving the number between the caliper display and the cross slide dial. Halving numbers is something I can still usually manage but it doesn't arise with the Bantam.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate