Brass plate or flywheel casting

For Jan Ridders engine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
The Real Ron Skingley30/09/2023 11:47:53
46 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 30/09/2023 10:43:50:

There are a few small engineering companies around but there is a limit to what they can offer, depends what type of work they do.

There's Evans Engineering in Skibb, well a brisk walk out on the western side anyway. But they really only do spares for farm equipment.

SillyOldDuffer30/09/2023 13:15:21
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by bernard towers on 29/09/2023 20:49:14:

... there are small engineering companies everywhere you just have to find them.

Depends on where you live. Not many near me in Somerset.

Worse, I've never found one prepared to sell off-cuts, let alone give metal away! I put it down to improved business efficiency and the high value of scrap. No harm in asking though.

Scrapyards were friendly places in my youth and it was normal to scavenge and make offers for car parts and other goodies. Not now - KEEP OUT signs, razor wire, and angry dogs. None of my local scrappies sell anything to the public. Might just be me, but I suspect model engineers who can get hold of cheap scrap metal are probably a minority?

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 30/09/2023 13:15:56

The Real Ron Skingley30/09/2023 13:28:00
46 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 30/09/2023 13:15:21:
Posted by bernard towers on 29/09/2023 20:49:14:

... there are small engineering companies everywhere you just have to find them.

Depends on where you live. Not many near me in Somerset.

Yes same here.
Getting my old banger going by climbing over piles of old cars (literally) and unbolting the parts I wanted myself, was quite the norm. Then.
Our local sailing club here have regular scrap collections to help pay for sailing instruction for the local kids.
And it's quite staggering how much money they make even after the scrappie chappie has taken his cut.

When I was an apprentice I could order almost anything through the company, or just nip down to our stores for a foot of ⅜ brass, no questions asked, or a handful of 4BA brass cheeseheads.
Different world now.

Martin Kyte30/09/2023 13:33:12
3445 forum posts
62 photos

I would say that the disc from an old hard drive would be ideal as a flywheel.

regards Martin

larry phelan 130/09/2023 15:26:01
1346 forum posts
15 photos

The busses are on time?????? dont know how they managed that !, must be very confusing for people !

However, as you say, it leaves time for a few Murphy,s, sure what could be wrong with that ?

Still does,nt solve the problem of where to get anything. I come across bits of this that and the other, from time to time, no idea what the hell they are, could be OK, could be total crap, the luck of the draw.

So much for Model Making !

The Real Ron Skingley30/09/2023 15:45:45
46 forum posts
2 photos

I think it has become find some material first, then decide what you can make from it.
Luckily the tip/recycling centre in Bantry, or just outside it, has a skip into which people throw scrap metal.
They ought to set up a webcam aimed at it laugh.

Meanwhile I'll start searching for materials from Germany and other EU places......

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate