Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Measuring instrument storage.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Kyte20/09/2023 13:17:08
3445 forum posts
62 photos

Almost certainly temperature swings Gray. Doesn’t have to be moisture in the workshop, wood ‘breathes out ‘ moisture as it warms up.
regards Martin

Pete22/09/2023 09:13:22
128 forum posts

Some plastics are what's known as a hygroscopic material and can retain and release air borne humidity much like wood. So all plastics aren't created equal. And I have the exact same boxed set of Emco ESX 25 collets as you do Gray. I also remember what they cost almost 35 years ago. So I'd be quite upset having that happen. But my shop is climate controlled and I'm in a fairly dry climate area. So I've had no marking from the plywood they used. I think machining your own aluminum bushings for collet storage would be hard to beat. A fair amount of work, but there's no moisture issues and it's more than soft enough to not mark the collets.

Graham Meek22/09/2023 10:12:30
714 forum posts
414 photos

Hi Pete,

You make a valid point and one which led me to choose ABS for my collet rack. This plastic being one of the lowest for absorbing moisture, and commonly available. The old RS catalogues here in UK used to have a very good page entitled the "Properties of Engineering Plastics". This told you almost everything you need to know about plastics. I have not looked to see if this page is available in their on-line catalogue. If it is then maybe someone could provide a link?

Regards

Gray,

Grindstone Cowboy22/09/2023 11:22:36
1160 forum posts
73 photos

Not had time to go through the entire list, so don't know if there's anything about engineering plastics - a better search facility would help - but this would be a start to finding RS Guides to various things.

Links to https://uk.rs-online.com/web/content/discovery/ideas-and-advice

Rob

Macolm22/09/2023 15:00:04
185 forum posts
33 photos

Ultra high molecular weight polythene (UHMWPE) has notably low permiability to water and other vapours. Many plastics have quite high absorption and transmission of vapour. However, silicones including RTV are particularly bad, an order of magnitude worse than common plastics.

Edited By Macolm on 22/09/2023 15:01:10

duncan webster22/09/2023 16:17:31
5307 forum posts
83 photos

I use IKEA chopping boards when I want machineable flat plastic. They are about 8mm thick from memory. SWMBO actually like going there, I absolutely hate it. The way they try to make you go through the whole store is maddening.

Robert Atkinson 222/09/2023 16:58:17
1891 forum posts
37 photos

Chopping boards are generally made from the Ultra high molecular weight polythene (UHMWPE) mentioned by Macolm. Also useful as neutron moderators

Robert.

Edited By Robert Atkinson 2 on 22/09/2023 16:58:44

Georgineer22/09/2023 21:22:38
652 forum posts
33 photos
Posted by duncan webster on 22/09/2023 16:17:31:

I use IKEA chopping boards when I want machineable flat plastic. They are about 8mm thick from memory. SWMBO actually like going there, I absolutely hate it. The way they try to make you go through the whole store is maddening.

My son was quite shocked when I bypassed a large part of an Ikea store by nipping through the café.

George

duncan webster23/09/2023 00:39:52
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Purely by coincidence it was announced after tea that I had to go to IKEA to look at a bed for #1 son. Talk about the outer circle of hell! I am going to do my utmost never to go again, but if I am instructed by senior management I'll take the dog, it will be good exercise for him. At one point I threatened to just follow the fire exit signs, opening the fire doors along the way, but was talked out of it. They should realise that their ploy of making you go through the entire store actually puts people off. I'd willingly pay extra to a normal department store where I can go straight to the bit I want, and then leave. I thought the Trafford Centre was bad, but at least you can escape.

Pete23/09/2023 01:54:34
128 forum posts

There's some woods, glues and sealants that continue to produce acidic fumes even after fully curing. Oak is just one of those wood species that does. British or European oak may or may not be different than American, but I haven't checked there exact properties. Part of engineering is understanding the positives and negatives for anything that might be unfamiliar that your using. And yes like it or not, were not immune from having to know about those as well. Fortunately for us, the internet makes doing so fairly easy today. And the more you learn, the easier it is to understand what to look for and how to find it. There's no such thing as the perfect material, everything we have available will have built in compromises involved. About all we can do is chose something that has the least amount of those verses there expected life span and cost against what it's intend for or to do.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate