Looking for adaptor that is bored to allow drawbar to connect to MT2

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ketan Swali18/06/2023 10:27:08
1481 forum posts
149 photos
Posted by Bob on 17/06/2023 23:07:04:

Just to clarify things.

I have an adaptor that converts a Int 30 spindle to Morse No.2. It is designed to take tanged fittings like drill chucks and Morse taper drills. It is open all the way through but the biggest thread that will sensibly pass through is M6.

All that is really required is an adaptor Int 30 on the outside and bored Morse No.2 on the inside. Ideally it should be optimised to minimise the excess stick out from the nose of the mill. I used to have a similar adaptor that allowed Int 30 tooling to be used in Int 40 sockets.

Bob

I understand clearly now. Thank you for the clarification Bob.

Ketan at ARC

Bob18/06/2023 12:11:49
51 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by JasonB on 18/06/2023 07:11:35:

Bob, could an adaptor 3/8 to M6 not be fitted into the taper tooling first, possibly with a shallow hex flange do it can be nipped up tight, Then your M6 drawbar would simply pass through what you already have.

Or simply get the adaptor from ARC that will allow the larger bar to pass right through into the taper tooling.

There is not a lot of clearance between the top of the Morse taper and the start of the slot in the adaptor that the tang engages with. As you suggest a (very) shallow hex flange might be OK, I also consedered making a short length of 3/8" BSW internally threaded M6 and with a screwdriver slot that would allow the insert to be retrieved if it fully entered the Morse taper.

Adaptor from ARC already on order!

Bob

Ketan Swali18/06/2023 13:04:02
1481 forum posts
149 photos

I decided to visit the warehouse to have a look at the said products.

Took some pictures which are presented below.

You were right about the tang type adapator. the hole is indeed around 6mm, so impossible to get 3/8" Whit drawbar through it:

iso30 to mt2 for tang.jpg

On opening the box which was supposed to contain ISO/INT30 to MT2 adaptor (drawbar type), I discovered that we had BT30 type instead!.. Left message for Ian and team to check the stock in our warehouse next door on Monday.

BT30 will fit INT30/ISO30 taper, but INT30/ISO30 will not fit in BT30 taper mills. So in your case, the BT30 adaptor will be fine. However, after checking our stock, Ian or a member of our team will give you a call to see how you wish to proceed.

Then I put in a MT2 boring head arbour into the BT30- MT2 drawbar type adaptor, and used a 3/8" drawbar to see if it will go through without difficulty... and this was fine.:

bt30 to mt2 boring head arbor assembled.jpg

bt30 to mt2 boring head arbor assembled with some measurement.jpg

Thank you for raising my curiosity.

Ketan at ARC

Michael Gilligan18/06/2023 15:07:58
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Bob on 18/06/2023 12:11:49:

There is not a lot of clearance […]

Which is what prompted my early-morning suggestion

… but presumably you didn’t like that.

MichaelG.

Bob18/06/2023 22:55:18
51 forum posts
1 photos

Ketan Many thanks for taking the time to check the adaptors. The BT30 to Morse No.2 adaptor looks ideal.

Michael I did look at the links you posted and there are indeed four threaded holes in the drive face of the mill spindle. It seems to me to be a lot of work to make a custom adaptor that would still require the Int 30 taper to ensure centralisation of the tooling when 'off the shelf' solutions are available. I think the drive flange on the Int30 taper would partially obscure the four holes so they are not ideally positioned to hold the tooling in place.

Bob

Emgee19/06/2023 00:35:26
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Just for information BT30 arbors are normally available threaded M12 or !/2"UNC and are termed quick change as it is usual to retain them with a pull stud fitted. My Emco F1 spindle is SK30 but the BT 30 are the same taper and dimensions. INT30 taper is identical but has the short parallel extension which is threaded for the draw bar.

Emgee

Bob21/06/2023 14:13:05
51 forum posts
1 photos

The BT30 to Morse No.2 adaptor arrived today. Fits perfectly! No problem with passage of drawbar. Many thanks to all who took the time to respond to my question and especially Ketan and the staff at ARCEurotrade. Excellent service.

Bob

Michael Gilligan21/06/2023 16:12:18
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Great result, Bob

Ketan should sell a truck-load of those

… there must be plenty of people with the same general requirement as you.

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate