By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for SteveW

Here is a list of all the postings SteveW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dick Simmonds Loco Centre Erith
08/09/2016 19:01:42

I too lived near the Dick Simmond's establishment. In the early 60's I'd park my bike against the green painted shop and venture inside. Chaos appeared to reign but Dick would proudly show off whatever he was making. He was very proud of any steam passages that went 'round corners' and how he had drilled and plugged the holes. While at school a small group started on an Ajax. My bit was the lever and latch for the valve gear(?). We had the frames and some castings. I wonder what happened to them...

Thread: WARCO WM-250 lathe family and WM16 mill
12/03/2016 17:27:08

Thanks for the info. When I got new brushes I gave the size of the brushes. The lathe model was insufficient. When they duly arrived the package was marked WM290 so I may have a larger motor than I thought! In any case it's still running like new so no complaints.

12/03/2016 09:42:46

My WM250 has been playing up and new brushes did not work any magic. I tested the motor with 12V and all looked fine. Looked at the board and again all looked fine. I noticed the resistor marked in the photo was not seated evenly (it is removable) pressed this fully home. On the advice of my wife (who's knowledge of electronic fault finding I previously doubted...) she said" Put it back together and see if it works". Now all working fine. May help others.board.jpg

I'll never know if this was the cause of the poor/none running!

SteveW

Thread: WM 250 VF
09/02/2016 13:58:03

Make the bench a bit taller and not shorter - you can stand on a duckboard if you find you have to for some jobs. As mentioned stooping is not comfortable long term.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2016)
30/01/2016 17:48:33

That is a lovely engine. Sounds good too. Looks good naked but I expect you've got a paint scheme in mind. Hope there will some plans sometime!

Thread: ER32 Collet Chuck advise please.
10/01/2016 13:49:30

Do the M8 bolts have a clearance hole to stop them pulling the collet chuck? I can't believe it's the collet or even the chuck itself.

Thread: Warco WM 16 and new DRO install
02/12/2015 08:19:49

Should you be near Warco in Surrey they have this mill fitted with a DRO in the showroom.

Thread: WM250 Owners - Question about 4 Jaw Chuck
30/11/2015 19:29:28

Unless you are really sure there is an issue and confident you would make it better: No. I left well alone on the basis that my WM250 was better than I was...

Thread: Tool holders for Warco WM 180 Lathe
30/11/2015 09:17:23

I don't think it's too onerous to keep necessary shims with each tool. But I did have a kind friend who produced a box of suitable shims various thicknesses the week I got the lathe. This saves scratching round for odd bits and has saved me hours!

Thread: BBC 2 - Looking for Backyard Engineers
24/11/2015 10:34:11

My son was interviewed in his lunch hour for a news item about model flying. He turned up at the flying site and shook hands with the interviewer, cameraman. The interviewer then said "Oh! I didn't think you'd be wearing a suit". The clear expectation was for some scruffy idiot who couldn't string two words together. The item did make the news!

Thread: Insulated Garage Doors
08/08/2015 16:58:22

We did just that - changed to an electric roller door. It made a huge difference. No draughts, less noise and a little bit of heat from a fan fire makes it much nicer to use. Ours faces south and I'm also pretty sure it helps it stop being like an oven in the summer. Downside was the cost. SteveW

Thread: New lathe 'misfiring'
01/08/2015 16:30:35

Just read this post and went out to do a bit gentle turning and my WM250 is now just the same. Made a couple of cuts then speed varied and did not sound like a happy chap. Off and on and now reluctant to start. I'll be on some new brushes on Monday from Warco. Perhaps worth getting a second set - then it will last 20 years! SteveW

Thread: Magazine Storage
22/04/2015 07:44:40

Having tried a lot of unsatisfactory ways to store old copies of magazines I have settled on trying these:

dsc_0001 (2).jpg

Lid just slides over the bottom so will accommodate fat magazines. I am hopeful that they will at least keep them flat and relatively good condition in the loft. Whether I can find the one I want is another matter...

Search for 'A4 plastic storage boxes' on eBay. Bit expensive perhaps but so are the mags!

SteveW

Thread: Cheap Tools ........ Grrrrrrrr.!!!!!
08/12/2014 08:24:21

Nothing wrong with inexpensive but cheap is a different matter! I find inexpensive tools from the 'usual suppliers' generally OK; some of the 'best' are just too expensive for my budget.

SteveW

Thread: Theft...
06/11/2014 15:54:31

Trouble is Neil that the politicians use these figures now after flirting with less reliable data sets. I think that just reflects on the politicians. Maybe its the 'fear of crime' figures we should look at?

When we were burgled the PC seemed disappointed that we had serial numbers and, though he did appear to write them down, nothing ever came of them.

Good locks and vigilance seem the best way forward.

SteveW

Thread: CovMac Lathes
19/09/2014 10:45:24

You may well find the stuck lever will move when the other lever is in one position only or once the lathe has run. Harrison's can be a bit like that. Force last resort.

SteveW

Thread: Machining - sitting or standing?
09/09/2014 10:21:40

I made my lathe 'high' but kept a bit of pallet so that if I need to get on top of things (or a grandson comes) I can easily step up to the job.

SteveW

Thread: Warco 290V comments n feedback
28/08/2014 19:30:52

If you can get to Warco they do have an excellent showroom where you should be able to see,play and ask. I have a WM250 and have been very satisfied with the quality and ease of use. I think they exceptional value for money. It is still better than I am...

SteveW

Thread: Marking out
22/08/2014 18:14:36

I don't think its a fussy formula. Just dissolve as much copper sulphate as possible and don't worry about the acid. I cant remember ever putting any in. Bright steel with emery and dab a bit on.

SteveW

Thread: Lathe oil level
04/08/2014 08:39:20

Not good timing for you perhaps but I measured the oil I drained out to give me an idea of how much to put in. I then looked at the sight glass (not too easy...) and added the 10% or so that it needed to allow for losses (on floor, clothing, hands etc)

SteveW

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate