By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Senior

Here is a list of all the postings David Senior has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stuart #1 Reverse Drawings
19/02/2022 08:18:01

I've followed this thread with interest - I'm working on a 5A with reversing gear at the moment, and if I've got it right the eccentrics foul the step in the crankshaft. On nominal dimensions the eccentrics will rub on the flange of the crank bearing, but the crank change in diameter is a further 1/16" out. The additional drawing for the reversing gear shows a clearance of about 1/16" between the eccentrics and the bearing flange. (My drawings are dated 1954 and issued in 1965 - the engine was started by my grandfather who died in 1966 and I feel it is about time it was finished!)

Dave

Thread: 1960's Car Steering Wheel Taper Angle
01/04/2021 22:09:33

I have an Automobile Engineer's Reference Book from 1956 which gives the taper as 3-1/2" per foot on dia, or 1 in 3.43, or 16° 35' 41" included angle. So I guess your 8° per side is close enough!

Dave

Thread: Tufnol, Phenolic, SRBP, HPL, CGL, SGL
15/02/2021 22:19:49

Trespa offcuts are available from David Meddings DeSign (or they used to be when he had the unit next door to my work - he has now moved further up the industrial estate so I don't see the piles of material any more). I don't have a contact number handy but I am sure you can find him on Google - he also used to trade as Reel Furniture. He is in Attleborough, Norfolk

Dave

Thread: Marine Engine Flywheel Fixing
18/01/2021 18:51:46

I've had a quick look through some books on marine steam engines and I can't find any that show a flywheel, but they all appear to have a flange as Jason suggested. I doubt if you would get keyways on the bigger stuff.

Dave

Thread: Great Central Atlantic in old ME
17/01/2021 20:29:53

Pages are in reverse order, but hopefully still useful

Daveccf17012021_00004.jpgccf17012021_00003.jpgccf17012021_00002.jpgccf17012021_00001.jpgccf17012021_00000.jpg

17/01/2021 16:55:45

I have the issue you want. I will scan it for you

Dave

Thread: ME 4653
08/12/2020 18:30:27

Mine arrived yesterday, so there is probably still time before it can be considered lost.

Dave

Thread: non delivery of magazine
24/05/2020 15:15:52

My experience of ME mags that don't arrive is that they say they don't have any spares left to send out and they extend your subscription by 1 issue. Then you find that the company that takes all the surplus ones will sell you one but you have to pay the postage. It's a bit of a con! You would have thought they should get a copy back from the surplus company, or at least arranged for that company to supply one FOC

Thread: High Grade Aluminium Supplies
01/05/2014 20:05:53

I also use Metalfast (or ThyssenKrupp as they are now known) but have recently started using Shropshire Stainless & Aluminium www.ssaltd.net . Not sure whether they will deal without an account, but they are very keenly priced on sawn plate.

Dave

Thread: Bridgeport clone quill / knee conversion
11/06/2011 06:32:15
It may be a bit late to add to this thread, but I motorised the knee of my Myford VMF mill (article published in MEW issue 137). I had problems with the weight of the knee assembly, and the conversion had it's limitations. To solve this, I added gas springs, which was very successful. I submitted 2 follow up articles to the editor but unfortunately they have never been published.
I was very pleased with the overall conversion, and it allowed me to dabble with some ideas for products to fit to my classic mini. Things moved on from there when I decided to try and sell those products, such that my company bought a 'proper' cnc mill. Now the VMF gets little or no use, and seems incredibly slow compared to the scary speed of a modern machine!
Let me know if any more details would be useful.
Dave
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate