By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for AdrianR

Here is a list of all the postings AdrianR has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ford Quadricycle
09/06/2020 07:25:41

Good old Henry, built his own quadbike. Then had to grow up so started a small automobile company.

08/06/2020 18:29:58

Hi Brian,

Your image links come up with an error for me.

Adrian

Thread: A red face and a bottlejack
08/06/2020 18:01:59

Put a clause in your will, they don't get a penny unless they can raise and lower the jack

Thread: Parting off
08/06/2020 17:57:21

I have never been too happy with the standard eclipse parting tool. I know it is not an answer to your problem, but recently I bought a Soba parting tool from Chronos **LINK**

I had seen a few USA people raving about T shaped blades with chip breakers. For some reason, they are hard to get over here.

You still have to take great care to get it at centre height and square, but the swarf is folded in on itself and comes out in a neat curl.

To get mine square, I loosen the tool post and move the carriage so the blade just touches the front face of the chuck. With a bright light under it and a magnifying glass, I can get it perfectly square.

As others say, slow steady and plenty of lube. I use a neat oil soaked toothbrush just above the blade. It catches any swarf stuck in the groove and gets the oil down in the groove.

Adrian

Thread: Keeping Shop clean
07/06/2020 20:24:25

I have an upright Vax whos roller brush bearings were melted to a solid lump thanks to too much wife hair. The brush motor has been removed and is in the "this will be useful" box, and the vacuum sits next to the mill and lathe. The hose extension it came with gives me the reach to get everywhere.

I also use a lot of newspaper, amazon packing paper and cardboard. A rather lavatorial image, but I have torn sheets of newspaper into 1/4s and have a wadge of it hanging on the end of the lathe. Just handy to tear off a to place over the sideways, cross slide or mill table etc.

Sheets of cardboard are cut and ready to go in the drip tray. When they get too mucky they get pulled out and dropped into the waiting tough tub that lives under the lathe.

I also get through a lot of very cheap kitchen roll, being tight, the sheets are also torn into 1/4s before use.

I stop a lot of flying swarf from the lathe with a piece of paper stuck to the edge of the chuck guard. It hangs down the front and works wonders for stopping brass and cutting fluid.

Mill swarf is still a works in progress, I have a few ideas but not got round to them yet.

Adrian

Thread: Seig X3 has died
06/06/2020 14:14:21

To check for poped windings, you can use an ohmmeter across it and turn the rotor slowly. It should measure the same resistance all the way around.

From the picture on the ARC site, the board looks quite simple so if you can find an electronics guy it should be fixable.

But the link above, £25 for a controller, if the motor is PM it is almost worth just giving it a go.

Adrian

Thread: Can you guess what this object is?
06/06/2020 13:48:39

Well from the image I can say it is unusual in that it has one side, two edges and four corners.

Adrian

Thread: stuck chuck again
06/06/2020 08:06:28

My local motor factors is open, you may find yours is too.

Adrian

05/06/2020 18:49:02

I have the same lathe as Howard, I keep a 30mm sq x 300mm length of beach in my drip tray. Tighten it across the jaws, grab both sides of the v belt in my left hand and wallop the wood with a rubber mallet.

As Howard said, the trick is the follow through.

If your chuck is regularly getting stuck it sounds like something is wrong. Maybe a very light stoning of the register faces to see if there is a burr. Or check the threads for roughness or imbedded swarf. Then of course there is the debate to oil or not oil. I wipe it dry each time i fit in the belief oil helps it tighten more than it helps it loosen.

Adrian

Thread: Collets: 2MT direct or ER?
05/06/2020 18:04:30

I am no expert, and I am sure someone more experienced wil have better arguments, but here is my pennies worth.

Re 3 jaw chucks, don't get your hopes up about new chuck accuracy. From what I gather from this forum and books is that 3 jaws in general are quick and dirty. If you want to re-chuck, use a 4 jaw. The exception to this is if you have an adjustable 3 jaw, where you can re-center the work by moving the whole chuck.

Re collets, it all depends on what you make. If you are likely to often work with bar between 33mm and 41mm then go for the ER40. I don't have lathe collets, but am looking at getting them. For me I would be interested in smaller sizes than large. I more often have trouble holding small items than large. I already have ER25, so will use them, but if buying new I would go ER32.

After looking at the same options as you, I have decided on a backplate mounted chuck. I will probably make it myself and buy a nut. That way I have the same access to the spindle bore as a normal chuck.

Adrian

Thread: Jonathan from Yorkshire
05/06/2020 14:43:57

Hi Jonathan,

A warm welcome from to the forum from sunny salubrious Skegness.

I too was worried about security when I joined, but I found that if you go to Settings->My Profile you can set a Nickname. Then from then on people will only see the nickname not your real name.

Adrian

Thread: Good way of attaching instructions to a painted surface
04/06/2020 17:43:13

I recently discovered that you can get water slide decal paper for your inkjet. Apparently print what you want, spray with clear spray varnish and put on like the old fashioned water transfers.

You could put another couple of costs of varnish over it after it has dried.

Adrian

Thread: Run capacitor value .Bench grinder
04/06/2020 17:28:27

Gerald you can get a 2.5uF CBB61 on ebay **LINK** that says it is a uk supplier

FYI any 450V AC 2.5uF Polypropylene film capacitor will do.

Adrian

Edited By AdrianR on 04/06/2020 17:30:35

04/06/2020 12:32:37

Try rs components, not the cheapest, but they are quick and you know what you get will be OK

**LINK**

Adrian

Thread: Low cost forge blower
02/06/2020 20:03:00

Ah yes Grandpa Amu, amazing guy. His sawing skills blow my mind, how on earth does he saw so straight. For those who have not seen him **LINK**

Adrian

02/06/2020 17:00:30

I am quite envious of him, having a place he can go out and do all that without some landowner or doogooder coming along and complaining. That sort of "could I start off from zero" really interests me, computer games are never quite hard/realistic enough.

What a wonderful company name "Aldays & Onions" they don't make company names like that anymore.

Adrian

02/06/2020 12:31:34

As so many of us are always interested in a bargain, you cant get a forge blower much cheaper than this.wink

**LINK**

I have now progressed from being binge watching Engles Coach Shop to this guys videos.

Adrian

Thread: How easy is it to make a chain sprocket?
31/05/2020 19:22:22

I found this, it is a picture from above and clearly shows a block chain **LINK**

31/05/2020 19:04:46

Do you really need a sprocket cutter? I have seen descriptions of making sprockets with a drill, hacksaw and a file. I would think they would be quite simple to make using an end mill and rotary table.

Adrian

31/05/2020 17:55:13

Ahha, it is called block chain. Looks like 1 inch block chain is still used too. This bike site has some pictures of it **LINK**

On this site **LINK** they still sell it, interestingly it looks like they make it from standard chain components. They just stack up the center plates to replace the rollers. So If you wanted to make a 1/4" version you could dismantle a 1/4" chain and reassemble it without the rollers.

Adrian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate