By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mechman48

Here is a list of all the postings mechman48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Strange effect when turning
24/05/2021 17:27:55

+1 for ega reply. check your lathe alignment across the shears you may have a slight twist in your lathe bed. Lathes can be out of level lengthwise without being detrimental ( think of ships machine shop ) but if not level from front to rear shear at headstock / tailstock then there will be a liability to turn tapered shaft.

George

Thread: Can 2 people use the same mobile with NHS Covid app?
17/05/2021 12:20:38

I'm afraid it has become a necessary evil nowadays. What annoys me is the amount of ads that plague the screen when you're trying to text, or even Google something. I'd love to know how to circumvent the ads without having to pay for 'no ads premium' service. I did read somewhere, a long time ago, how it could be done but as said, a long time ago, so I guess we have to put up with them.

George.

Thread: Any tips for aligning mill vice / workpieces?
17/05/2021 10:06:42
Posted by Chris Gunn on 14/05/2021 14:57:54:

One way is to machine a slot in the underside of the vice and add a tenon which is a close fit in the slot in the machine bed, and then the vice is aligned automatically. There has been a couple of threads on this topic recently.

Chris Gunn

+1... I have done the same with my vice.

George.

Thread: Stuart build questions
17/05/2021 09:59:58

'The cheap "brake cylinder hones" on e-bay will do, probably have to be the two stone one on that 3/4" bore.'

+1, Exactly what I have, & used on my !0V, works a treat & not expensive.

George.

Thread: Clarke CL500M half nut conversion
14/05/2021 16:43:25

Your link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAKPhE9HisI&t=59s

brings up ' No results found'

George.

Thread: DRO scales
14/05/2021 13:50:00
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 13/05/2021 18:01:36:
Posted by Bo'sun on 13/05/2021 17:46:37:

Thank you George, the link takes me to ARC, but it doesn't work. When I search "DRO scale" the only DRO scale seems to be a vertical one. Is that what you have?

Looks like George's link got mangled. I think he meant these, which I have too.

Although not coolant-proof they work well enough. The separate readouts are mildly inconvenient and don't do any of the clever stuff like PCD but they're streets ahead of dials.

Dave

Thanks Dave, exactly what I was trying to link to.

George.

Thread: Shortening HSS drills
14/05/2021 10:32:38

There shouldn't be a problem shortening drills;if they are carbon steel drills they would make nice stub drills which will have more rigidity, HSS will make decent spotting drills but you wouldn't need many, 2,3,,4 6 mm would suffice for most needs. One thing to ensure is that you maintain the correct tip angle 118* & equal length cutting lips otherwise you will drill oversize holes.

George.

Thread: DRO scales
13/05/2021 17:38:49

I have a set of these fitted on my mill; not had any probs with them since fitting over 6 years ago, batteries last quite well too, worth considering.

**LINK**

George.

Thread: Cheap Calliper which holds reading
09/05/2021 12:30:12
Posted by Ady1 on 08/05/2021 13:09:55:

If you're making a DRO then those cheap DROs are vastly superior and far more user friendly

Calipers aren't really designed for constant tracking, something you will realise once you try a "proper" unit

I have a similar set on my mill X & Y axis from another well used model engineering supplier; they power off automatically & retain the last reading when switched on, never had any probs to date, just replaced batteries last month both of which have been in use since last July/Aug.

George.

Thread: Help wanted, How can I use a stepper motor as a table feed.
07/05/2021 15:31:25

FWIW.. Have a look at 'Ades workshop' he has done the same on his new mill to drive the X,Y,& Z axis using stepper motors. Elektronikery is way beyond me but he made it look so simple ..

(3) ADES WORKSHOP - YouTube

George.

Thread: Brass/bronze filler
05/05/2021 13:33:45

I have collected over the past few years 3 round boiled sweet tins; one ea. for brass / cast iron / aluminium filings that on occasions I have used to mix with 2 part epoxy resin to fill blow holes & the like. Cast iron filings work particularly well leaving a barely discernable difference. As mentioned brass can vary in shade so are visible in most cases. Larger brass chippings can be used to temper / blue small items... see Clickspring's site where he shows an example of bluing tiny screws. I have used Aluminium too but that shows a difference on shading too, more like a 'chilled' spot as in Cast iron,again due to different grades, they all do the job & if you're painting afterwards, who's to know?

George.

Thread: Protective film for polished metal.
04/05/2021 11:12:47

+1 for cling film; also try clear auto laquer/ hair spray, if SWMBO will let you use hers, can be easily removed using acetone ( nail polish remover ).

George.

Thread: Reading glasses - frosted area
04/05/2021 10:50:49

I would try jewellers rouge; but preferably get new glasses you can't afford to mess about with your eyesight especially for the likes of we modellers where we need the best we can have. I have just bought 2 new pair of varifocals as my recent eye test showed a deterioration & the need for new lenses; not cheap!

George.

Thread: Phone Caller ID does not work
03/05/2021 17:37:55

I got one from DPD yesterday.. the usual,, DPD will redeliver today as long as I pay £2.99 fee via the link, yeah like I'm going to fall for that one ..yet another oldie again!

George.

Thread: No oilers
01/05/2021 10:43:11

I do the same for my Warco WM16 mill; there are no oil points in this either. I clean the ways the apply oil, this tends to 'self level' itself under the ways, then I work the 'X &' Y' axis to effectively 'screed' the oil along the ways. As for the 'X' axis leadscrew I use an extended spout oil can i.e. attach a long length of 4 mm plastic tubing on to the spout to reach under the table & a couple of squirts of oil onto the thread in front of the nut will ensure lubrication.

George.

Thread: My version of Potty Mill engine
26/04/2021 14:53:35

Super job David; any advice on how you prepped the aluminium pror to painting... was the paint rattle can or mini spray gun ?

George.

Thread: Myford 254 Plus toolpost type
22/04/2021 11:47:29

I made a rear tool post from the Hemmingway kit, it works well but you have to be aware that the tapered side doesn't leave much room for centre height adjustment. I reverted to the horizontal slot side, using another type of holder placed upside down & run the lathe in reverse, bolted on chuck I must add, on a Warco WM250.

It has now been relegated to 'for use later; maybe' as most of the small stuff I part off can be done easily with front holder under power / hand feed without any concerns.

Casting kit...

Establishing centre height

Assembled tool holder

Test cuts...

parting off (1).jpg

Look in my album 'Rear tool post' for more pics.

George

Erratum.. '& run the lathe in reverse', should read 'run in normal rotation'

Edited By mechman48 on 22/04/2021 12:01:53

Thread: Snapping taps
22/04/2021 11:25:26
Posted by Bob Stevenson on 21/04/2021 15:30:08:

To remove the tap from the tool holder;......use a small stone on a Dremel to level up the broken tap then drill down gthe centre with a carbide drill,.....then slightly larger bits until just the outside of the tap is left in gthe hole then carefully use a scriber to break the remaining 'shell' of the tap and remove bits from hole.

Probably the best way to go, have drilled out studs etc in similar fashion. I do have spiral flute /spiral point taps but didn't want to risk snapping these, as said it's probably 'cause the holder is case hardened & I was a bit over exhuberant with the tap, one of those instances when you know it's going to happen but seem powerless to stop giving it that 'bit extra' & all I wanted was to put a couple of extra threads into the holder.

I'll let the citric acid do it's stuff untill I get the Alum then try that; more a case of lets see what happens, it's not that I 'need' the holder as I've got 18 in all with various tools set up.

George.

21/04/2021 15:54:33

Thanks for the tip Bob, have done this method waaaaay back in the past & remember seeing the carbide drill glowing thinking , have also used carbide tap removal drills as in pic..

**LINK**

**LINK**.

Both exhorbitant price; for the price of one of the Walton extractors I can buy a new toollholder. Thanks again.

George.

21/04/2021 12:29:35
Posted by peak4 on 02/04/2016 11:34:28:
Posted by Michael Walters on 02/04/2016 11:09:18:
Posted by john duffus 1 on 02/04/2016 00:50:51:

I see lots here about how to use taps but as far as I can see nothing about removing taps that are broken in a job. Years ago in M.E. there was a mention in a letter that one should try ALUM. I was presented with a job with a broken 4BA HSS tap & submerged the offending part in a saturated solution of ALUM- bit of heat now & then & bingo- the tap more or less crumbled to a black dust after about 3 days. Give it time & a bit of heat- it works. The job was in mild steel & had no more than a grey finish on it. I was told by a chemist who used the same pub that there was likely something like a nickel-iron cell formed- if memory serves!

That sounds very interesting, John, i'd like to know where you could buy that if you don't mind me asking?

I've tapped a few holes since writing this and i'm pretty sure it was because the starter drill i was using was 0.1mm too small, doesnt sound much but makes a bit of a difference.

Michael W

Here You Go, alternatively try your local Indian/Asian supermarket for Fatakdi powder.

Having a loose adjustment screw on one of my Dickson tool holders I decided to clean out the thread & tap a deeper thread, I used a set of 5 mm HSS taps to start the process as there only seemed to be aprrox 3 threads of engagement so tapping deeper was a logical progression.

I only managed to get a turn on the 2nd tap when guess what ! yeah there is a broken tap in the hole, admittedly it''s not the first time I've broken a tap but it's annoying when its an expensive HSS one. I poured a few drops of some citric acid pickling solution into the hole & left it overnight, this morning it looks as though there is some reaction with the tap as it has started turning black, question is; has any one used this method of removing broken taps?. I don't have access to an EDM machine nor have the right size solid carbide drill ( expensive ).

Having looked back through previous posts I came upon the above article describing the use of Alum so have ordered a sachet ( 100 gms ) via link & will try that, so the next questions are..

What ration of alum powder to water is best ?.

How often does it need to be heated ?

Has /does Citric acid work as well ?

Any other information would be very much appreciated.

Broken 5mm tap[1].jpg

TIA

George.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate