By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John MC

Here is a list of all the postings John MC has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: An expesive day
14/06/2023 12:56:38
Posted by not done it yet on 14/06/2023 12:48:26:
Posted by John MC on 14/06/2023 10:42:26:
Posted by not done it yet on 14/06/2023 08:13:54:
Posted by John MC on 14/06/2023 08:05:07:

I have had three Fords with that engine. All have been reliable (so far!) but have not really lived up to the "eco" bit of the name, that is to say not as economical as I would have liked, especially the one with the auto gearbox.

Maybe change your footwear, John? ‘Eco’ may be more related to the economy of materials in manufacture? Or related to the economy compared to the non-boosted engine? Almost certainly marketing hype, whatever it means.

Change my footwear? Don't follow. The Eco referred to the cars economy of ownership, according to some sales lit I have when I first bought one, needs some translation from "sales speak" to english but I think I am right.

Perhaps change from hob-nailed boots to, say, plimsols? Potentially less pressure exerted on the ‘loud pedal’ accelerator?🙂🙂

Lead boots? Me? Not in the family car, the wife would have something to say about that!

14/06/2023 10:49:23
Posted by Nick Wheeler on 14/06/2023 08:46:27:

If you've had three of them, presumably you've not kept them long enough for the scheduled belt change? The 9 hour job that sucks up any savings(which are mostly the road tax) made in the preceding 10 years in one unforgettable payment? The one that requires a big stack of parts from Ford that aren't necessarily available at the same time?

as for the video engine being neglected, that crap in the sump is from the belts and not the usual rubbish from a lack of oil changes. It's also typical of the Citroen/etc engine that uses a similar wet belt. Anyone who does this job without removing the sump and cleaning as much as they can is setting themselves up for an expensive customer complaint...

No I haven't kept them long enough for a belt change, guess why?

Not convinced that the belt debris is responsible for the wear elsewhere in the engine. That sludge will sit in the sump, if any gets picked up by the pump won't the filter hold on to it?

Reminds me of when the Japanese introduced motorcycle engines that the engine, gearbox and clutch shared the same oil. Dire warnings from the less knowledgeable about clutch lining material destroying the engine......

14/06/2023 10:42:26
Posted by not done it yet on 14/06/2023 08:13:54:
Posted by John MC on 14/06/2023 08:05:07:

In the video posted by Steve, did the guy give an indicaton of mileage. I skimmed through the video so may have missed that. I would suggest that was a neglected engine, judged by the amount of c**p in the sump.

I have had three Fords with that engine. All have been reliable (so far!) but have not really lived up to the "eco" bit of the name, that is to say not as economical as I would have liked, especially the one with the auto gearbox.

Maybe change your footwear, John? ‘Eco’ may be more related to the economy of materials in manufacture? Or related to the economy compared to the non-boosted engine? Almost certainly marketing hype, whatever it means.

Change my footwear? Don't follow. The Eco referred to the cars economy of ownership, according to some sales lit I have when I first bought one, needs some translation from "sales speak" to english but I think I am right.

14/06/2023 08:05:07

In the video posted by Steve, did the guy give an indicaton of mileage. I skimmed through the video so may have missed that. I would suggest that was a neglected engine, judged by the amount of c**p in the sump.

Thread: Oh dear - not quite right - again!
17/05/2023 11:02:43
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 17/05/2023 09:17:50:

Seems to be an unlucky month for magazines; two pages of my RadCom are stuck together by a splodge of ink.

In the good old days every copy of Model Engineer was checked personally by the Editor, and the whole team was docked a day's pay if he found a mistake. Percival Marshall was a proper editor; he used to flog author's who got there apostrophe's wrong.

And on the subject of iron discipline, that Geoff Theasby deserves a bl**dy good hiding - his jokes are funnier than mine. Unforgivable!

devil

Dave

Is that the correct use of an apostrophe? Or "there".

Thread: In case you need to replace you mill X power feed
12/05/2023 18:27:38

Found what appears to be the same product for £158 (delivered) on Amazon. Time will tell if its any good.

The only reason I can think of for Warco charging well over double the price may be that it will bolt straight on to their machines, no setting up needed?

Does anyone buy at these prices when, typically, they are usually sold for well under £200?

Thread: Warco WM18 Y Axis power feed project
12/05/2023 16:39:05
Posted by petro1head on 12/05/2023 15:42:59:
Posted by John MC on 12/05/2023 15:29:31:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 14/04/2023 10:51:11:

Nice project !

I’m happy to accept that it’s a trick of the light, if you say so … but those timing pulleys look rather rough.

MichaelG.

Ref. __ **LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 14/04/2023 10:56:1

Finish has that faceted look associated with hobbed teeth, gears and sprockets like these.

?

Its the characteristic finish when the tooth form is generated rather than formed.

12/05/2023 15:29:31
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 14/04/2023 10:51:11:

Nice project !

I’m happy to accept that it’s a trick of the light, if you say so … but those timing pulleys look rather rough.

MichaelG.

Ref. __ **LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 14/04/2023 10:56:1

Finish has that faceted look associated with hobbed teeth, gears and sprockets like these.

Thread: Rotary broaching
30/04/2023 17:52:26

To finish off my previous post I size the drilled pilot hole by multiplying the hex AF size by 1.02 and the square AF size by 1.06. Never an exact size so I round up to the nearest drill size. I arrived at this by trial and error (and a few broken broaches!), when I first made the tool. Some years later I found these factors are about right, maybe a little generous according to some rotary broach suppliers.

I note that the Hemingway version of this tool calls itself compact, I would suggest it is not that compact. That is to say it is overly long. On a lightweight machine overhang needs to be reduced as much as possible. The cutting forces are not truly axial so will try to push the cutter off centre. Keeping things "short" will be of benefit. With this in mind I would also suggest mounting the tool with a morse taper rather than a parallel shank in a drill chuck.

This version of the tool also uses 3 bearings (I think), one of which is a thrust bearing. Omitting that bearing would reduce the overall length by a useful amount.

I like Neil's idea with regard to the design of an external broach. I have a number of components to make that will have a 9mm AF hex, worth a try I think.

29/04/2023 17:55:21
Posted by Neil Lickfold on 29/04/2023 10:50:40:

Out of curiosity, what diameter do you make the broach for say a 4mm hex key? Do you make them 4.02mm or so?

I make the smaller, 2 - 4mm AF, hex broaches 0.05mm bigger than nominal, 5, 6 and 8mm 0.1mm bigger. 10 and 12, 0.15mm bigger. This gives one, maybe two, chances to sharpen. For imperial, the equivalent. From memory I've used similar allowances for square holes. Ultimately it wil depend on how accurate the hole needs to be, for an allen key these allowances are okay. Again, from memory, I think the allowance on the larger sizes could be even bigger to stay within acceptable limits.

For the smaller sizes, if I needed to broach a large number of holes I would buy HSS broaches, I break more silver steel ones than I wear out! For the larger sizes hardened silver steel works well enough, I've managed 6 and 8mm in EN8 steel.

I generally drill the initial round hole a little larger than nominal, I'll have a look at my notes and reply tomorrow.

John

29/04/2023 09:31:24

I've been using a rotary broach I made for some 30 years now, internal shapes, hexagonal and square mostly. The cutters for the basic internal shapes are straightforward to make, how will you make the external shape cutters?

Easiest way would be to buy? Quite expensive.

If I were to make a rotary broaching tool now I would make sure that I could buy HSS cutters that would fit. I make them from silver steel, okay for softer materials but struggles with small AF's in steels.

John

Thread: Chester Super Lux advice
26/04/2023 10:29:51

Keep going when you are able Taff, you will hve a fine machine in the end!

Thread: Seig mill table not flat
17/04/2023 16:41:22

I've helped a friend sort out exactly the same problem on a Seig X3. An error of ~0.15mm across the table (Y direction).

At first we thought the table had distorted but checking the ways, which were flat, suggested otherwise, possibly a machining error?

A local machine shop confirmed the hump was on work side of the table. The machining to correct was done on a surface grinder. Two steel bars were placed on the magnetic chuck and ground flat. The ways were then placed on the ground bars, there was enough "grip" from the magnets to hold the table for grinding.

Thread: Dro, mains power adaptor.
15/04/2023 15:48:42

Many thanks for the replies. I was hoping that I could use a 3 volt power supply, the sort that looks like a fat 13 amp plug. As has been suggested, the electrical output is noisy, the device won't like it. Also, my understanding of these PSU's is that they need to be made to "work". That is to say, the very low power demand of the DRO may not be controlled very well by the PSU.

I wonder if using one of these powering a voltage controller may still have problems with electrical noise?

At the moment I am favouring a larger battery to power the DRO. I'll need to make a dummy battery with flying leads.

My last thought would be to use a mains USB adaptor connected to a voltage control device, (as in the previous post). Would this be electrically clean enough?

14/04/2023 11:03:17

I use several of these types of DRO in my workshop.

screenshot 2023-04-14 at 10-43-04 accurate digital readout scale for milling lathe linear led dro 0-300mm ebay.jpg