By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for elanman

Here is a list of all the postings elanman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1440 lathes
25/05/2011 19:20:15
John S,
I've seen on other forums that you are keen on your TOS lathe but for my "compact" workshop it's just too big. The 1440 or 1340 chinaman lathes have quite a small footprint and so does a new M300/Student.
Graeme, sent you a PM.
Thanks all for your comments.
Cheers
John

24/05/2011 16:59:28
Graeme, Hugh,
Thanks for your replies.
Perhaps I should have said that my current lathe is a Colchester Master round head from 1968, I have had it for some 20 years so it's time for something newer. I know a good second hand Colchester would be the best way to go BUT I am never that lucky when buying machinery, thats why I am looking at a new chinaman. I also know the price of Colchester spares!!!

Cheers
John

Edited By elanman on 24/05/2011 17:01:21

24/05/2011 13:38:32
I am looking for a new or good second hand lathe of the 1440 size. There seems to be a range of new chinaman lathes of about the same spec but varying vastly in price from Warco/chester up to Gate and Prince. Is there a difference in quality between them?
Or I could go the second hand route but the youngest square head Colchester is now about 18 years old and not a lot cheaper that the new chinaman and could be very worn.
Views, comments please.
Cheers
John
Thread: what thread is this?
22/03/2011 13:22:39
Ian,
IMHO if it's 12.15mm o/d then the nominal diameter of the thread is larger than that. I would guess at 1/2 inch. Also 1mm pitch is very near 24 tpi. Tracy tools list cycle thread of 1/2" * 24tpi. It's in the taps and die/ cycle threads section on their web site.
Just a suggestion.
Or re-make the spindle and use what thread size you want.
Cheers
John
Thread: Clarkson Mk1 Missing Centres
11/03/2011 20:24:14
Peter,
My Stent ones have a centre height of approx 2.1 in. I can't find my drawings to see what the design height is. The centres are .5 in dia but the casting would bore to .625 if needed.
Cheers
John
Thread: Backlash - Steppers, Toothed Belts & Ballscrews
27/01/2011 17:40:06
Trevor,
I have converted a Warco AIS mill using steppers, toothed belts and the original lead screws. The belts seem to have no backlash but I can see they will wear quite quickly and so will need changing from time to time. The screws work well but you have to set parameter to allow for the backlash in the CNC software. I am using Turbocnc.
Nobby is correct in that ball screws are the best way to go, just depends on the cash!
Cheers
John
Thread: Ball Nose Mill Cutter, did I break it?
28/04/2010 12:58:24
Hi,
I built a Stuart H10 a couple of years ago and found most of the castings had a very hard skin, the thinner parts being hard right through. I had to use TCT tools to machine most parts. I was not impressed!
Cheers
John
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate